BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know the Aramaic tongue, and hope someone here will hear this and tell me if it is the actual "Lord's Prayer" in the Bible in Aramaic or something else? I read the comments below the video and it did not answer that question. Some mixed comments sounded as it was, and others appeared to be from other religious beliefs. Thank you.

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thank you Steve, for your reply and link. Before I download it, I want to be sure it was not Hindu or something.
let me know if you ever hear music like this in Galilean Aramaic. Your web-page is most fascinating.
I'll follow you to see what I can learn. Blessed

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is the Lord's Prayer as it appears in the Syriac Peshitta (5th century Eastern Aramaic).
Jesus spoke earlier Galilean Aramaic (a Western dialect) which was in some way quite distinct from this one.
I've outlined my own attempts to reconstruct the Prayer in that dialect here.
Good morning, another question. Are you aware if there is a Aramaic new Testament: English text in Galilean Aramaic?
I found only this one on Amazon, but it does not say which dialect.
Aramaic New Testament: English text (Ancient Roots Translinear Bible Book 2) Kindle Edition
by A. Frances Werner

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Good morning, another question. Are you aware if there is a Aramaic new Testament: English text in Galilean Aramaic?
I found only this one on Amazon, but it does not say which dialect.
Aramaic New Testament: English text (Ancient Roots Translinear Bible Book 2) Kindle Edition
by A. Frances Werner

Wouldn't that be from the Greek to the Aramaic to English? Why not just use the Greek to English version?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The general, but not universal, consensus among Bible scholars is that the OT of the Peshitta was translated into Syriac from the Hebrew, probably in the 2nd century AD, and that the NT of the Peshitta was translated from the original Greek.
Sebastian P. Brock The Bible in the Syriac Tradition St. Ephrem Ecumenical Research Institute, 1988

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But the Syriac Peshitta, as we have it today, is not written in 2nd century Syriac. It's written in 5th century Syriac (the n- preformative and a bunch of other features gives that away). Even the Old Syriac Gospels (which aren't written in Old Syriac – the Syriac dialect contemporary to Jesus – but in early Classical Syriac) are still too young.

Sadly, there are no NT texts that survive in Galilean, outside of a number of phrases and underlying puns in the Greek NT, but there is a fragmentary Christian Palestinian Aramaic NT which is written in a dialect closely related to Galilean. It, however, is very obviously a translation from the Greek (e.g. it refers to Jesus as "Yesus" instead of Yeshua, John as "Yohanes" instead of Yohanan, etc. – all of the names are transliterated from the Greek) and was made somewhere between the 4th and 5th centuries. (It's contemporary with the Peshitta.)

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But the Syriac Peshitta, as we have it today, is not written in 2nd century Syriac. It's written in 5th century Syriac (the n- preformative and a bunch of other features gives that away). Even the Old Syriac Gospels (which aren't written in Old Syriac – the Syriac dialect contemporary to Jesus – but in early Classical Syriac) are still too young.

Sadly, there are no NT texts that survive in Galilean, outside of a number of phrases and underlying puns in the Greek NT, but there is a fragmentary Christian Palestinian Aramaic NT which is written in a dialect closely related to Galilean. It, however, is very obviously a translation from the Greek (e.g. it refers to Jesus as "Yesus" instead of Yeshua, John as "Yohanes" instead of Yohanan, etc. – all of the names are transliterated from the Greek) and was made somewhere between the 4th and 5th centuries. (It's contemporary with the Peshitta.)
Good evening Steve, so I understand there is not a translation of the New Testament in the contemporary language that Jesus spoke, Galilean Aramaic? Sad, but something to pray for...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums