Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Amnesty International Announces Support for Abortion

from staff reports

Critics say life is the most basic human right.
Human rights organization Amnesty International (AI) has shifted from a neutral stance on abortion to a positive one, now classifying it as a "human right." Pro-life groups, including Democrats for Life, are urging AI to reconsider.

Officially, AI states that it wants women "to be free of fear, threat and coercion as they manage all consequences of rape and other grave human rights violations.”

Kristen Day, executive director of Democrats for Life, said support for such a contentious issue is disrespectful to AI's constituents.

"I just think that’s a great disservice to those who want to support Amnesty International and the good work they are doing,” she told Family News in Focus. “The Catholic Bishops have come out and opposed this new idea that they have to include abortion.”

The Catholic Church has said it will suspend financial support to AI. Molly White, founder of Women for Life International, said AI should extend the right to life to everyone.

“No matter what their justification," she said, "abortion kills children and it hurts women.”

In a statement, AI maintained it does not "promote abortion as a universal right and Amnesty International remains silent on the rights and wrongs of abortion."
White took issue with that.

“They can’t say they are not for abortion, but then they are demanding for abortion to be legal and for women to have the right to have an abortion,” she said. “If women are being hurt in wartime because of rape and those kinds of things, then we need to do more actions to prevent rape and incest.”
http://www.citizenlink.org/CLNews/A000005068.cfm

mayfly

Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I knew Amnesty Int'l was worthless... years ago. The cannot tell a difference between leftwing liberal criminals on death row for murders and truly innocent victims of oppression.

This last dumb move just confirms what I always knew. And I am glad the Roman Church will dump AI now. That is helpful.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, of course Amnesty International is such a horrible organization. Fighting for human rights and such, they're soooooooo bad! They're pawns of Satan!

People need to realize that abortion is a reality, no matter how anyone feels about it. We're not talking about just the United States and the issue with abortion here. We're talking about women from all over the world who don't have access to proper reproduction health, specifically for women who live in third world countries.

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
From mayfly's article
“They can’t say they are not for abortion, but then they are demanding for abortion to be legal and for women to have the right to have an abortion,” she said. “If women are being hurt in wartime because of rape and those kinds of things, then we need to do more actions to prevent rape and incest.”

That is a great idea. Lets just stop rape from happening. Anyone have any idea how we could go about preventing rape?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I had written a post with a different article that explains what AI is actually advocating... but then I figured that you didn't actually want to read it.
Don't let that stop you. Think of the lurkers

Currently Active Users said:
64 (14 members & 50 guests)

Upvote 0

mayfly

Jun 13, 2007
✟15,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ah, back again I see.

AI is calling for compassion for those raped, molested but I guess that is too difficult for you to understand?
We can all support the raped and molested. We must never support the baby killings in the abortion clinics. That is inexcuseable and disqualifies Amnesty Int'l from serious consideration as a true human rights group. It is unworthy of the support of people of faith and of compassion. There are too many other worthy and genuine human rights groups as more worthy alternatives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm seriously considering droping my membership in AI as well.

If I want to support a womans right to choose I'll do so by support planned parenthood, this isn't an issue AI or even the ACLU should get into... what's next? Global warming and animal rights?

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
http://web.amnesty.org/actforwomen/sexual_and_reproductive_rights5-eng

In April 2003, "Josephine" (29) and her friend Miriam were raped at gunpoint by three RCD-Goma soldiers as they walked to their fields near Walungu, in South-Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo. In October 2003, "Josephine" was raped again, this time in her home, by another RCD-Goma soldier who
gagged her to prevent her from screaming. In March 2004, pregnant, she told her story to AI: "In the community, they made such fun of me that I had to leave the village and live in the forest. Today, the only thing that I can think about is that I want an abortion. I am hungry; I have no clothes and no soap. I don't have any money to pay for medical care. It would be better if I died with the baby in my womb."
In the Darfur region of Sudan, rape is considered a taboo and a shame for the victim. The child who is a result of rape is considered the child of the "enemy", a "Janjawid child". Survivors of rape are likely to be ostracized by their community; married women are likely to be rejected by their husbands. Women and men interviewed by AI said that while they would accept raped women back into the community, the child conceived as a result of rape would not be accepted.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can understand why AI would want to support the womans right to an abortion, however I believe thier crossing a line they shouldn't... Give the woman food and shelter and help her find a safe place, I could even support passing out emergancy contraception.. but abortion is another matter entirely.. especially if it's a late term abortion.

http://web.amnesty.org/actforwomen/sexual_and_reproductive_rights5-eng

In April 2003, "Josephine" (29) and her friend Miriam were raped at gunpoint by three RCD-Goma soldiers as they walked to their fields near Walungu, in South-Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo. In October 2003, "Josephine" was raped again, this time in her home, by another RCD-Goma soldier who gagged her to prevent her from screaming. In March 2004, pregnant, she told her story to AI: "In the community, they made such fun of me that I had to leave the village and live in the forest. Today, the only thing that I can think about is that I want an abortion. I am hungry; I have no clothes and no soap. I don't have any money to pay for medical care. It would be better if I died with the baby in my womb."
In the Darfur region of Sudan, rape is considered a taboo and a shame for the victim. The child who is a result of rape is considered the child of the "enemy", a "Janjawid child". Survivors of rape are likely to be ostracized by their community; married women are likely to be rejected by their husbands. Women and men interviewed by AI said that while they would accept raped women back into the community, the child conceived as a result of rape would not be accepted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums