There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you have no cutting tools that you didn't make yourself?

That's not the point. The point is that I can make my own cutting tools from rock when I need to. If a steel scraper isn't the best tool for the job, I can make one from obsidian.

I know how to make a cutting tool. I know how the tool works. I know what it excels at, and I know its limitations. Most importantly, I know when I need to use something else to get the job done.

No, my premise was that they know how to do it longhand, not that they don't have to know how to do it longhand. You still have to demonstrate that they do not have the ability to do it.

You did say that there's no reason for them to learn how, and I didn't say that they don't have the ability to learn. I said that if they don't learn how to do the math, they won't really understand what their machines are doing.

Every single one, you could make on your own? Every single one you could explain the complex inner workings of? I call shenanigans.

I didn't say that I could make my own. I said that I know how they work. I'm surprised to discover that you evidently don't know how they work. What machines mystify you? I'm happy to help you understand them.

Really? You've coded an entire website from scratch for the purpose of purchasing goods, many times? I mean, from scratch? You made up your own coding language? You fabricated all the servers and chips and computer thingies to make it possible for you to integrate purchases over the internet? You made the internet? Because unless you do all those things, you are relying on the tools of others and are not any better than a kid using his phone to look up a formula, or using a calculator for all of his math.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now.

Using tools is not a problem. Using tools without understanding how that tool is useful--of what that tool actually does--isn't knowledge. If you don't know what the tool is doing, then how do you know that you're using it correctly or that you're even using the right tool?

Type. Bang. A very important skill, in fact an almost required skill for pretty much any job. And kids today type way better than older folks. I've seen it. You've seen it. One-finger hunt and poke by old guys versus 10-year olds who can type blindfolded.

I don't think so. Twenty years ago, you would have had a point, but today almost everyone can type with their fingers on a keyboard and with their thumbs on a touchscreen. Are there some older people who can't? Sure. But there are plenty of kids who really stink at it, as well.

Basic computer skills. How about that. I know old people who type 'google' into their Google search bar in order to open up Google.

I disagree here, too. Again, twenty years ago, you would have had a point. Now, though, the trend I'm seeing is that we old folks have the better basic computer skills, while many from the younger generations are losing even basic knowledge of how computers work.

That's a broad generalization, to be sure. There are plenty of people from the younger generations with amazing skill in processor architecture, coding, and systems design.

But there are also plenty of them who are clueless about how to copy or move a file or how to remove an unwanted app or how to check for software compatibility.

Younger people are also better at social media. Yeah, you probably think that's just juvenile nonsense, but it is a huge factor in today's world, and if you can't navigate social media, make connections, develop a network, you are kinda screwed.

Once again, twenty years ago....

Kids today know everything kids from 30 years ago knew, plus a whole lot more.

But they don't know everything that kids from 30 years ago knew, and that's kinda the point of the OP--even in a tech-rich environment, kids are having trouble with basic problem-solving skills.

They're using more tools, but they aren't getting the knowledge of how to apply the information that the tools give them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never said I don't find it acceptable, either. I never said anything about whether it is acceptable or not.

But if you must know, I don't find anything wrong with it in certain contexts. Text messaging, emails to friends, tweets, and other informal scenarios, yes, it is acceptable. Using "u" in a PhD thesis paper, not so much.

And it's not exactly "misspelling" words; it's abbreviating words. Shortening them. We all do it. Do you write "Mister" all the time, or do you usually write "Mr."? Have you never written "LOL" or any other acronym?

I agree with you on this. We've been using shortenings and abbreviations for about as long as we've had writing. In any casual medium with limited space for either writing (Twitter) or reading (small screens), plz and u is acceptable.

I won't complain if they put RIP on my gravestone.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
That's not the point. The point is that I can make my own cutting tools from rock when I need to. If a steel scraper isn't the best tool for the job, I can make one from obsidian.

When was the last time you did so? You may know how to do it (I do too) but can you actually do it?

I know how to make a cutting tool. I know how the tool works. I know what it excels at, and I know its limitations. Most importantly, I know when I need to use something else to get the job done.

And kids today don't?

You did say that there's no reason for them to learn how, and I didn't say that they don't have the ability to learn. I said that if they don't learn how to do the math, they won't really understand what their machines are doing.

I don't think I said that there's no reason for them to learn how. There are plenty of reasons.

I didn't say that I could make my own. I said that I know how they work. I'm surprised to discover that you evidently don't know how they work. What machines mystify you? I'm happy to help you understand them.

Where did I say I don't know how they work? I know how some things work. I don't know how everything works. Neither do you.

As for the rest of your previous post, I kinda get your point, so I don't really have anything to address. I just disagree with the general idea that kids today are less intelligent or less able than the previous generations.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just disagree with the general idea that kids today are less intelligent or less able than the previous generations.

I agree with you that they're not less intelligent or less able. Sometimes they're just not exposed to or taught certain things anymore. Sometimes those things they're not taught are things they still need to know.

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When was the last time you did so? You may know how to do it (I do too) but can you actually do it?

It's a regular thing I do in wood-carving.

Where did I say I don't know how they work? I know how some things work. I don't know how everything works. Neither do you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I do. Really, I can't think of any machine or device that I use but don't know how it works.

Ah, wait... the water filter for the house. The filters I get, but it also has a tank full of rock salt. I have no idea what that does or why the water doesn't come out all salty.

Now I have to go read the specs on the thing....

As for the rest of your previous post, I kinda get your point, so I don't really have anything to address. I just disagree with the general idea that kids today are less intelligent or less able than the previous generations.

I don't think that they're less intelligent or less able, but I think that they--and the schools and the parents--sometimes rely too much on tools that they don't really understand.

Just to make myself clear: If they're figuring out the circumference of a circle, they don't necessarily need to know how the circuits and relays in their calculator work, but they do need to know how the math for the calculation works.

Still, it's not all bad news. The schools around here--and everywhere, I'd hope--allow kids to use calculators, but they still require the students to show their work.

But I'll never forget one evening in the late-90s. I was helping my 14-year-old cousin with her Algebra homework. "OK," I said while we were solving for x, "now what's the sum of 16 and 3?"

And she reached for her calculator.

Upvote 0