Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been away from partaking in forums for a while, and the one thing that seems to have intensified is the amazing amount of expressed hatred, especially in politics. Politics has kinda gotten that way as well, as a matter of fact. This site is quite the violent mix of persons too.

Perhaps there is something good that can come from it.

Since this is a Christian site, and we know that a tree is known by its fruit...I think it would be very useful to take note of just what political party is spewing more hatred. And then when it comes time to vote...if you like hatred you will know who to vote for, and if you don't like hatred, then you might even consider what party should get your support.

Happy tally taking. Happy voting!

PS, Careful with pointing any fingers...that could be construed as hatred. :)

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've noticed a general trend in forums ( online ) that seems similar, people have become bitter, angry, accusative, etc..

Just in the past few years too, seems like people really turning on each other, snapping....very odd to watch.

I think that the presence of paid shills may have intensified things. You get two paid shills from opposite ends of the political scene and they will simply spew out party lines at each other.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,550.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I think that the presence of paid shills may have intensified things. You get two paid shills from opposite ends of the political scene and they will simply spew out party lines at each other.
crossing into conspiracy theory territory....

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
crossing into conspiracy theory territory....
I can only go by what I see here. It is IMO entirely impossible to believe that anyone could ever honestly be as 100% exactly behind everything a political party or personage does without being paid to parrot the party line. No one is that completely in tune with another person and surely not with a political party's stance on every issue, They tend to rely on quoting the same statistics, using the exact same phrasing and parrotting the same cliches and buzz words that the party paying them has provided while just simply ignoring any evidence given that is contrary to their talking points and only ever attacking the opposing person or that person's sources but never actually addressing the issues brought up by the person they attack.

Upvote 0

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Phew, I can't stand politics anyways

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed a general trend in forums ( online ) that seems similar, people have become bitter, angry, accusative, etc..

Just in the past few years too, seems like people really turning on each other, snapping....very odd to watch.
While I agree with this observation, remember there's an element of confirmation bias and self selection going on. The people who you see in forums arguing are people who like arguing in forums. The majority of people who have, like, social lives and go outside and such aren't here, it's true believers.

Reactions: suntan
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Phew, I can't stand politics anyways
You do know that this is a conspiracy theory supported by the right, correct? There's no basis for any proof, and in fact it could be perceived as flaming to continue to make this kind of assertion about people.

I don't believe that anyone's getting paid to attend a Christian forum to argue about politics. It's just too silly to be true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've thought about Scott's insights, too. What I think accounts for much of it is that "the politics of personal destruction" works. It works with uninformed and disinterested people who, nevertheless, do vote.

Invent a complete lie about some candidate or other public figure and you are not only immune from defamation suits but the uninformed voter finds it titillating (and knowledgeable) to believe it and repeat it.

A few generations ago, such a thing would never have succeeded and, in fact, would have been considered scandalous; but today, the bigger the lie the more it is accepted. Not by everyone, of course, but there are enough people who will believe to be able to change the outcome of an election.

Upvote 0

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While I agree with this observation, remember there's an element of confirmation bias and self selection going on. The people who you see in forums arguing are people who like arguing in forums. The majority of people who have, like, social lives and go outside and such aren't here, it's true believers.

Oh, absolutely, that's why I said " online "

Online fanatics represent a very small portion of the real world, whatever their fanaticism happens to pertain to

I find people in the real world to be most pleasant

The internet reminds me more of the writing on the bathroom wall than anything :p

Reactions: suntan
Upvote 0

Isaacsname

Aug 5, 2012
Earth
✟1,413.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You do know that this is a conspiracy theory supported by the right, correct? There's no basis for any proof, and in fact it could be perceived as flaming to continue to make this kind of assertion about people.

I don't believe that anyone's getting paid to attend a Christian forum to argue about politics. It's just too silly to be true.

.............but....but....the Jewish lizard people in the hollow moon said it was true

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been away from partaking in forums for a while, and the one thing that seems to have intensified is the amazing amount of expressed hatred, especially in politics. Politics has kinda gotten that way as well, as a matter of fact. This site is quite the violent mix of persons too.

Perhaps there is something good that can come from it.

Since this is a Christian site, and we know that a tree is known by its fruit...I think it would be very useful to take note of just what political party is spewing more hatred. And then when it comes time to vote...if you like hatred you will know who to vote for, and if you don't like hatred, then you might even consider what party should get your support.

Happy tally taking. Happy voting!

PS, Careful with pointing any fingers...that could be construed as hatred. :)

Well, I certainly know which party spews the most hatred and all I can say is elephants are far more peaceful in the wild. Which side is burning down black churches? Which side has rallies bearing racist signs? Which side uses phrases like "libturds" and "demonrats"? Which side consistently tells its followers that feminists, gays, lesbians, transfolk, non-christians, Muslims, liberals, and basically anyone who isn't 100% on board with their ideologies is an enemy of America? Which side says it's "retarded" for people of color to be offended by the Confederate flag, but are the first to show up to protest a Pride parade, an Islamic learning center being opened, scream loudly against the right for transpeople to use the bathroom they feel safest using, or sign a petition to get a show taken off of TV because one of the corporate sponsors extends partner benefits to gay and lesbian employees? Which side whines about having to pay taxes and says, "don't breed 'em if ya can't feed 'em" when the schools offer free breakfast programs to impoverished children? Which side consistently blocks youth access to comprehensive sex education whilst simultaneously having the highest out of wedlock pregnancy rate? Which side claims same-sex marriage will destroy their marriages, yet has the highest divorce rate per capita?

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I think it might be considered flaming if someone accused another of being a paid shill but not for someone to suggest that paid shills exist on Christian Forums. I can find no other explanation for some of the complete lack of independent thinking in some of the posts I have seen here. And it is not a matter of being right or left as both extremes are represented. Since in this thread no one has made any accusation about any particular poster being such a paid shill I do not think that flaming talk is in order. Perhaps an accusation of flaming where none exists might be considered flaming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think it might be considered flaming if someone accused another of being a paid shill but not for someone to suggest that paid shills exist on Christian Forums. I can find no other explanation for some of the complete lack of independent thinking in some of the posts I have seen here. And it is not a matter of being right or left as both extremes are represented. Since in this thread no one has made any accusation about any particular poster being such a paid shill I do not think that flaming talk is in order. Perhaps an accusation of flaming where none exists might be considered flaming.
People who don't agree with you don't lack independent thinking, in fact they are thinking independently when they disagree with you.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People who don't agree with you don't lack independent thinking, in fact they are thinking independently when they disagree with you.

Often true. Some of the most thoughtful posters here do disagree with me on many things, up to and including the existence of my God. Those posters I respect for their intellectual honesty even though I come to different conclusions from theirs usually because I have different basic assumptions than they have I am not talking about people that only disagree with me though am I? I am talking about people that just parrot the words, phrases and agruments of a particular party( which could be Democrat, Republican, Conservative, Labour, etc.) or personage or special interest group and never show any actual independent thought in their posting. I see this in posts from conservative and liberals, left and right, Democrat and Republican with this same vacuousness and I can only attribute it to being caused by monetary considerations.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it might be considered flaming if someone accused another of being a paid shill but not for someone to suggest that paid shills exist on Christian Forums. I can find no other explanation for some of the complete lack of independent thinking in some of the posts I have seen here. And it is not a matter of being right or left as both extremes are represented..

I don't know if it's a conspiracy, but rather the anonymity of social media gives people the sense of permission to be far less respectful and objective in how they present their views.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's a conspiracy, but rather the anonymity of social media gives people the sense of permission to be far less respectful and objective in how they present their views.
I don't know why people consider it conspiratorial. Stealth marketing has become a major force throughout society why should selling a political POV not be part of that? There is nothing illegal about it so it does not need to be covert.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is this like what Chicken Little (fitting name) said about people on here being students who are getting extra credit from liberal professors for trolling Christian websites? ^_^

Upvote 0