Am I waisting my time trying to believe

J

JakeBlane

It seems so easy for everyone in my family to believe in God. I grew up in a very strict religion house hold. When I ask them about religion, they seem to shine away from the topic of questioning it, it's almost like it scares them.

Every night I pray before bed for faith. I also pray for signs that he is out there. But honestly, kills me to say this, I hardly believe in him anymore. My faith weakens everyday, as I see no signs of him or any of my prayers answered. I am at that point of no return...

Edit: Also, I never have seen anything or have any testimony why I would believe in him, other than my parents telling me he is...

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bumping up...

My thoughts....is that you have not yet experienced God..

My experience....I fell in love with Jesus as soon as I heard about him and all that he did...
But I had not felt Gods presence until I pressed in...it really is about you and God. He wants you to know who he is...

no it is not a waste of your time to get to know him...wish I could explain in more detail...)))hugs((( I need to go to bed...I will respond to you tomorrow.
)))another hug(((

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It helps to have experiences with God, but I know from past experience that you can't always get exactly what you want in terms of proof often you just have faith based upon what God has given. I am not saying God has done nothing for me, and I just believe in nothing, on the contry he has done a lot of stuff see Know God Personally for examples of stuff he has done. But there must be something you have heard of or know of that can build faith in you, if not then you are not around the right type of religious people. And I don't mean your parents are not christians just true faith brings answers, not just empty words.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

It seems so easy for everyone in my family to believe in God. I grew up in a very strict religion house hold. When I ask them about religion, they seem to shine away from the topic of questioning it, it's almost like it scares them.

Every night I pray before bed for faith. I also pray for signs that he is out there. But honestly, kills me to say this, I hardly believe in him anymore. My faith weakens everyday, as I see no signs of him or any of my prayers answered. I am at that point of no return...

Edit: Also, I never have seen anything or have any testimony why I would believe in him, other than my parents telling me he is...

Two questions for you:

1) Why do you want to believe in God?
2) How often do you read the Bible?

Upvote 0

MrsSeptemberPenguin

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 30, 2004
Minnesota
✟32,184.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I just wanted to say you're not alone. I've been struggling with this for years now, and I still don't have an answer. I hope you can find one though. For me, people tell me to read the Bible, but sometimes I feel like the Bible contradicts itself, and that weakens my faith, not strengthens it. Sometimes people ask why I want that relationship, it's like missing an old friend. I used to be close to God, but then I felt like God turned his back on me (which I know many Christians will argue, I don't need a guilt trip, thanks, just saying what I've felt). Anyway, my point is, you're not alone. If you need someone to talk to that's in the same boat, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

I think this shows a willingness to use the mind God gave you and this is good. In my own life I can now see signs of God that occurred when I was in my twenties but at that time I did not recognize them. Perhaps it will be the same for you.

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JakeBlane,

There is much that we don't know of your spiritual position. I see the denomination you were raised in is Protestant but have you accepted Christ as your savior at some point and are now doubting or have you not made a commitment to Him and are doubting what you have been taught? It would be helpful to know this in order to give you sound advice.

It appears,however, that you have a desire to know Christ and you need to know that this is not by your own power but by God's power since it is Him that calls us to Himself (Ephesians 1:4). No one can seek forgiveness unless they first are convicted of wrong doing (sin) and this conviction is the work of the Holy Spirit (John 16:8).

One of the main signs that we are to look to, and God provided, is the death and resurrection of Christ. This really is the only sign that lead to the convincing of the apostles, it was this evidence that enable them to give up and give over their lives to Him.

There is another sign that helps me and that is Israel's existence. Since 567/568 B.C. until 1948 A.D. Israel was not a sovereign nation and was scattered throughout the world. Hated reviled attempted to be obliterated from existence but still remains identifiable as a separate people by their religion and nationality. No other people group in the history of mankind can claim such a distinction. This existence of Israel today is exhibit A in the lineup of convincing evidences that the Bible’s prophecies concerning the future ahead of us will be fulfilled. This, perhaps, is the most important blessing we can receive from the astounding history of the Jews. It reveals the reality of God-His overwhelming power, the authenticity of His promises, the certainty of His existence, the urgency of His call to us, and His claim on our very being.

Lastly, God is calling you for a relationship built on who you are in a personal relationship with Him. It looks as though there may be a dependency on what your family believes and their faith. I think God calls each of us separately and personally and I am confident that He will reveal Himself to you.

Matthew 7:7-11 (ASV)
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 for every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, who, if his son shall ask him for a loaf, will give him a stone;
10 or if he shall ask for a fish, will give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father who is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Upvote 0

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to say you're not alone. I've been struggling with this for years now, and I still don't have an answer. I hope you can find one though. For me, people tell me to read the Bible, but sometimes I feel like the Bible contradicts itself, and that weakens my faith, not strengthens it. Sometimes people ask why I want that relationship, it's like missing an old friend. I used to be close to God, but then I felt like God turned his back on me (which I know many Christians will argue, I don't need a guilt trip, thanks, just saying what I've felt). Anyway, my point is, you're not alone. If you need someone to talk to that's in the same boat, feel free to PM me.

I know what you mean when faith seems to weaken in the face of uncomfortable Bible verses. When I first entered Bible college, one of the first classes I took was a study of the Bible itself and one of the assignments was to read and report on the different "higher criticisms" of the Bible. When I began to study these theories, I actually had butterflies in the pit of my stomach, I was unnerved so badly. It was through this studying that my faith was actually strengthened. Along with the these theories, I studied the apologetic books and periodicals that supported the authenticity of the Bible and its contents and I learned the discipline of Hermeneutics which opened so much understanding for me.

There are tools we can use to help us study effectively so we can understand those biblical teachings that seem to contradict themselves. If I can be of assistance, you can PM me. Make no mistake though, there are many things that I still don't understand in scripture and the work to reach better understanding is never done.

The understanding of His Word is for a purpose and that is not so we can know more for the sake of knowledge but so that we can be more like Christ and help others find Him.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our basic call after receiving the grace of Jesus Christ may be just to live our lives (as best we can) in most ordinary terms according to His commands: love God & neighbor, the 10 commandments, practise charity & prayer forothers where possible etc. with Christ in our hearts & our conscience. Any further realization to serve more is from Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Mr OP! :wave:

I am glad to see the outpouring of support and good advice here. Let me just add the words of a sermon I heard once. Yes, I'm going to include ALL the words from that sermon, and this went on for a good 20 minutes or more.

"Plow on!"

Now you don't have the benefit of the context of that experience, so let me add that the only way satan wins, is when we quit. Make sense?

Upvote 0

docpotter

Too blessed to be stressed
Jul 13, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟17,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Look around you . Look at the design of the universe. Look at all the variety of life , animals, plants , fish . Look at the absolute uniqueness of each human being from every other one.

Paul says in Romans that men are " without excuse " as to how real God is . That He has shown us through nature .

Look at the sun and moon , perfect day and nightlights . Look at the human brain and all it can do .

If you look for God , you will find Him , well, more like He will find you : )

Upvote 0

Living in the Light

How may I be a better Christian?
Jan 7, 2012
United States
✟16,371.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Jake, I suspect you may be very young -- under 25 perhaps? The journey with God is a long, lifetime undertaking. The more you build your faith the more you understand God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit. It's almost like you have to become addicted to God. "Love thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul and all thy mind," taught by Jesus attests to what our steadfastness should be.

Think of all of the good things in your life that you have to be thankful for. Study the Bible, especially with an organized Bible study either online or at a church. Find a church that moves you spiritually (that warm feeling with goose bumps). Please read about the Fruits of the Spirit and do your best to do good works for others. Pray daily and eliminate any addictions other than God from your life. Addictions distract one from loving God. You may not always get an immediate answer to prayer, but it's always a good idea to analyze your motives in what you pray for. Self-serving prayers don't work for me. Remember a prayer request is different from a miracle. Miracles are rare. Please do not forget about God and keep the faith. I know from personal experience that things do not work out well when God is not in our lives. Peace.

Reactions: docpotter
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
All we can ask of someone is to live in accordance with their best understanding. While it's good to pray for faith, I don't think faith is something that typically comes to you in a moment miraculously. Rather, it grows in the course of living your life. I realize there are exceptions: Paul, and many more recent Christians have experience precisely that kind of enlightenment. I'm just not sure how common it is.

I think more commonly faith grows from practicing it. I agree with Lukaris that often our job is just to live normal lives with integrity. Even with shaky faith, you can put most of Jesus' teachings into practice: caring for people around you, doing your best to help and support them, perhaps participating in service projects. Harvey Cox quotes someone (I can't easily find the quote) "To find God, go to where God is" and he believes (with Jesus and the prophets) that God is where other people need us. And this is not necessarily dramatic mission projects (although they are often a good thing), but people around us.

Jesus says that even if you have faith the size of a mustard see, you can move mountains. The mustard seed was proverbially the smallest object known to the ancients. I'm guessing you have at least that much faith.

Hanging out with Christians is a good thing too, although a lot depends upon the Christians. There are Christians who are probably too sure of their faith, and if you don't share exactly the same faith, being with them can be a trial. But worship and fellowship with a group that you can appreciate is always a good thing.

-------------

You say your family didn't deal well with questions. You're not alone in that, although I was more lucky with my family. Please feel free to ask here. Most of us are more willing to deal with questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
One other thing: your original posting wasn't very clear about what your problems are. Most people here are giving pretty general responses. We may not be answering your questions at all. You imply that you're from a strict Christian family. Many strict Christians will tell you that faith requires you to believe all kinds of things that I don't think are true. If you can tell us more specifically what your problems are, you may get a more helpful response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Have you considered that maybe you are not looking for God in the way He has prescribed?

Luke 11:5 And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say to him, Friend, lend me three loaves;

6 for a friend of mine is come to me from a journey, and I have nothing to set before him;
7 and he from within shall answer and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee?
8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will arise and give him as many as he needeth.
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11 And of which of you that is a father shall his son ask a loaf, and he give him a stone? or a fish, and he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he give him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

We ask in prayer, we seek in the bible places like this(By asking questions)and in church. We knock by repeating this process till we find what we have sought after.

In my experience during this process God will show you the sin that is keeping you from full knowledge of Him. It is then up to you to repent of those sins. If you do your journey will continue, and if you hold on to your sins you will remain where you are now.

Upvote 0

Brenda Morgan

Jul 30, 2011
✟7,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

God calls. If he doesn't call it may be that you are not mature yet.

Upvote 0

ckonrad

Feb 9, 2012
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When jesus appeared to the apostles after the resurrection he told thomas that he was blessed for having seen and believed and that others would be even more blessed for having not seen and believed. It sounds to me like you have some degree of faith, God doesn't always answer prayers or change things in your life when you ask, he knows best when or how to answer your prayers if he chooses to do so. Even if you don't feel saved if you call upon his name he will save you. The holy spirit will help you grow in faith over time, you'll receive some form of personal revelation when you're ready for it.

Upvote 0