Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I do indeed pray, I've tried to do so daily, even if on occasion it's only been a few brief words. - I won't lie, I'm not entire sure what would be ment by "pray with" as apposed to "pray for", at least in an online setting, thought the latter I am certainly comfortable with and indeed would welcome.
I have prayed for you concerning recent events in this thread. However, I certainly did suggest to address Him in public here on this thread, intended to produce your agreement. I will respect your reservation, which is why I asked before doing it. It sounds like you are confident to navigate your walk of faith anyway, so it probably isn't needed. I wasn't certain though of your relationship with Him, so partly that is why I asked, to find out.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Please read my post again. No, here, let me repeat what I wrote:

"These are not essentials for salvation; they are products of salvation. If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away."

The OP asked if he was saved or not and I simply gave him the means by which to judge himself regarding salvation. I did not say - or imply - that "the products of salvation were most important for someone seeking God and looking into Christianity." So, no, my comments were not putting the cart before the horse.

Again, what did I actually write:

"If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away."

And the verses I posted were not taken out of context or spun in any way. They all clearly state a relationship between the conduct they describe and genuine salvation. If you have a problem with these verses, I suggest you take it up with the Author of them.

2 Corinthians 13:5
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified.

There is very much a place for examining whether or not one is in the faith. The OP is trying to do this. There is no biblical prohibition against new believers making such an examination of themselves and the apostle Paul recommends it. I think, then, your concerns are rather misplaced.

Exactly at what point is a believer allowed to check to see if they are truly saved? Hmmm? Do you have some verse, perhaps, that lays out the proper time for a believer to do so? If not, why do you get to decide for all of us when the proper time is?

Selah.

If a person sincerely comes to Christ with repentance in their hearts and declaring that he is indeed Lord, than they are saved.

It is very popular to place all these criteria on the new in Christ to prove that they are indeed saved, it is a shame. Many who doubt their own adequacy in Christ put that on others.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From your initial post, I would say 100% you are a Christian. God looks at the heart, and looking at how you have changed I would say you are in Christ. If you were to die today you would be in heaven. As for technical knowledge of what it means to be a Christian, you can gain that as you continue to read your bible. I would also say, as the bible says, meet with other Christians, attend a church.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is very popular to place all these criteria on the new in Christ to prove that they are indeed saved, it is a shame.

No, it is the Word of God. There is nothing in the least shameful about His Word. And your critical words to me could just as well apply to the apostle Paul who commanded the Corinthian believers to examine themselves whether they were in the faith. Did he qualify that he was speaking only to more mature believers? No. His command was really to all believers - or would-be believers. There is no need to guess at or wonder about one's salvation. Just as there are things that mark a diamond or a dollar bill as genuine, there are also marks of a genuine believer. And one's eternal destiny hangs on not being confused about the genuineness of one's salvation. Good reason, I think, for being clear on the reality of one's conversion.

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hi All,

Firstly this has turned out rather long so I apologise and thank anyone who has the patience to read it all.

I have absolutely no idea how to really go about putting down what I want to convey so I’ll start with a basic question and then throw in some back ground , feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

So the question is as the title: “Am I Christian?”

Some background: As a kid (Around 10-12) I went to Sunday school and was in a church choir (At a method church in case it matters) although I have no idea how that came about or why it stopped as to the best of my memory / knowledge no one in my family is religious and has never been to church apart from for funerals / weddings / Christenings (Which by the way I’m pretty sure I have been).

Fast forward the best part of 20 years: During which time I’ve never given any consideration to religion, if anyone had asked I would have said I was an Agnostic (although due to poor knowledge on the definitions I would have said Atheist at the time).

Now for whatever reason, a month ago I suddenly found myself thinking of God / Christ, I started reading the bible and saying a prayer almost every day since.

During this time I’ve asked myself daily "Do I believe in God?", "Do I believe Christ died for our sins?" Etc. And although every time when I ask myself directly like that the answer has been yes, almost without hesitation, I still find a while later I suddenly start questioning my answer “Do you really believe that? Are you sure? The answer to these always comes out as yes as well but the fact they keep coming up at all makes up uncomfortable labelling myself a Christian, as if I may be lying to myself, hence why for the moment I’ve opted for “Seeker” as my profile title.

My first question would be is, were baptized as a child? Because the answer would be pretty simple: Yes, you're a Christian.

Now from what I'm reading I see you as someone struggling with faith, believing but with doubts. Those things don't make you not a Christian. There are many who seem to imagine that faith and doubt are antithetical to one another; that if one has doubts and questions then they do not have faith. That simply isn't the case. Doubt is part of faith. Faith is not absolute empirical certainty in things, but trust.

Martin Luther describes faith in this way: "A bold trust in God's grace." Others have put it as "radical trust in Jesus Christ". Because, for one thing, faith isn't something we have naturally--at least not the sort of faith that Christianity makes a chief issue of. Faith is a gift of God granted to us by the Holy Spirit; it's not a property of our rational mind or intellect. One can doubt, because doubt and skepticism is indeed rational; and still have faith. In the Gospels we encounter a man who says, "I do believe! Help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24). We believe and still pray that God help our unbelief. So do not let such things make you anxious.

Other thoughts on how I’ve changed recently.
Sex – I’ve always been of the mind that sex should not be a casual thing and should be reserved for someone you’re in a loving relationship with (though I would never previously have considered that only between a husband wife was necessary) but I have always been an avid user of inappropriate content / fantasy for personal sexual benefit on a daily basis. – When “this” began though my mind set completely changed, I deleted any inappropriate content I had / stopped viewing it online and stopped masturbating , though I admit I have given in to the urge a couple of times. I now even find myself averting my gaze from the TV at imes, not necessarily sex scenes, often it may only because some ones provocatively dressed, as I find myself feeling uncomfortable.

Language – Previously profanity was essentially normal language when talking with peers / colleagues (though never at home) but now I no longer feel that I need or want to use that language, though currently finding it hard to overcome 15+ years of habit entirely and they keep slipping out. Although what worries me more than direct profanity is that I keep finding myself using phrases like “For God’s sake” or “God knows” and these make me cringe the second I hear them come out of my mouth.

General – I now find that in situations that would previously have caused me to get quite stressed, that I’m remain calm a lot easier. I’m mainly thinking of situations such as being stuck in traffic or beyond a slower driver, where previously I would have cursed them out under my breath and at times driven aggressively I am now able to sit back and relax until the issue resolves itself and there examples in my work environment as well.

I would caution putting too much stock in personal morality. There is a stream of thought among some Christians (certainly not all or most) that being a Christian involves, in some sense, climbing up a ladder of personal holiness and sanctity, that our personal moral progress is a sign of our own spiritual condition; the problem with this thinking is that it causes the reverse thinking to exist: that personal moral regress is a sign of our own spiritual condition. We then place our focus on our own moral progress/regress believing it to be a sign or evidence of our standing before God--it's not. In this life we will always struggle with sin. Some days might be better than other days, but every day will be a struggle with temptation and we will, regularly falter. So one must never look to themselves or to their present moral condition as any sort of litmus test; we trust Jesus Christ and Him only as the One who, by His righteousness, grants us holiness. We will, on our own efforts, never be holy, we are only holy on Christ's account.

Focusing on our own moral standing ultimately makes us feel like spiritual yo-yos, some days we're up, some days we're down. On "good" days we may be enticed by pride to feel we have reached certain goals and accomplishments only to, the next day, be down again and then we may succumb to despair. This yo-yoing between pride and despair does choke out faith, it is utterly destructive as it wreaks havoc on us; it is psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually devastating. I say this as someone who spent much of the first 20 years of his life going through it; having days of spiritual ecstasy as I felt really close to God based on my feelings and current moral sense of self; and others absolutely wracked with guilt and despair. That's why we look to Christ, trust upon Christ.

And it would seem that you do trust in Christ, you are, therefore a Christian. If you are not part of a church, I'd recommend being part of one and talking to the pastor/priest about receiving Baptism if you were not already baptized. If you are most comfortable at a Methodist Church, given your prior experience, that sounds like a pretty good place to start.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: HatGuy
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
MOD HAT ON

Thread has been cleaned. The Staff at Christian Forums would like to encourage and remind you that our site rules call you to refrain from the discussion of homosexuality outside of the prescibed forums. I am posting the rule for everyone's review

CF Rules are here. Please review

Homosexuality may not be promoted* on Christian Forums. Homosexuality may only be discussed, without promotion, in our Congregation forums. Homosexuality may also be discussed in the Recovery and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with struggles overcoming same-sex attractions, and homosexual issues.

If you find your post missing, it is because it violated this rule.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

RaverDave2k

Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Firstly thanks everyone again for their input, I have been reading and trying to digest all that has been said.

And it would seem that you do trust in Christ, you are, therefore a Christian. If you are not part of a church, I'd recommend being part of one and talking to the pastor/priest about receiving Baptism if you were not already baptized. If you are most comfortable at a Methodist Church, given your prior experience, that sounds like a pretty good place to start.

-CryptoLutheran

I'm pretty sure I was Christened as a baby (I've read differing opinions on whether Christening & Baptism are the same thing or not). I've no idea about other countrys but here in the UK having a baby 'Christened' seems to be the done thing largely irrelvent of the parents belifes so I'm not so sure if that can be taken to mean anything.

As for the type of church, I only mentioned that in passing as I wasn't sure how relavent it was and I happened to remember (the church I went to is a 2 minute walk away). I was only between 10 & 12 when I wen't so I really don't remember to much and wouldn't really feel any more comtable at that than any other.

I have on several occasions recently, gone to some of the more isolated / scenic churches around here, and just sat on a bench in the grounds comtemplating. I think I need to dosome proper research on the differening denominations before I actually attend one.

Dave

Upvote 0

WeakButHopeful

Oct 25, 2003
East Coast of USA
Visit site
✟8,470.00
Faith
Catholic
My reply may be controversial, but I am attempting to give you my best possible answer to your question, in the shortest form, and will let you decide whether it is helpful or not. In my mind there are 5 points to being a Christian:
- being a disciple of Jesus Christ (disciple as in discipline of your life, aiming to behave in a way He would approve, even though it will take a lifetime)
- trusting God for everything, seeing His hand in everything and preferring His will over yours (this trust includes but is not limited to your Salvation, purchased at great cost by His Son)
- frequent prayer (which is way more complex than I realized when I was younger...I would suggest Timothy's Kellers wonderful book on prayer to anyone)
- God doesn't need your good works but your neighbor does...remember Christ's picture of the final judgment, basically who and how much have you loved others, helped others and brought Christ to others?
- I do not worry about orthodoxy (e.g., Sola Scriptura or other such matters), since it can be divisive or a source of judgmentalism. Jesus in the New Testament admonished his disciples so many, many times to be at peace and not be afraid, so I do not fear other Christians who do not happen to agree with me, nor do they disturb my peace. I only mention it to you, OP, because perhaps that is why you asked if you were a Christian, perhaps you felt you were not in keeping with certain rules or beliefs. You will know they are Christians by their love.

I deeply and sincerely hope that the above has helped and encouraged you. May God bless you.

Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Firstly thanks everyone again for their input, I have been reading and trying to digest all that has been said.

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to welcome you into the family of God.

Will pray for you as you walk with Him and get to know Him through His word.

You have the Holy Spirit guiding you. Some good scriptures have been recommended. As you read them you will see that the Holy Spirit guiding you is totally lining up with the scriptures.

I totally agree with what some other people have said here. Christianity is a life long walk with God and as you mature, you will find yourself becoming constantly sanctified, putting off the old ways so to speak.

Romans 12:2New King James Version (NKJV)
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

You are already seeing this happening, watching your desires change.

God bless you
Mish

Upvote 0

Beaker

Jan 31, 2008
South Western Ontario
✟32,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi All,

Firstly this has turned out rather long so I apologise and thank anyone who has the patience to read it all.

I have absolutely no idea how to really go about putting down what I want to convey so I’ll start with a basic question and then throw in some back ground , feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

Some background: As a kid (Around 10-12) I went to Sunday school and was in a church choir (At a method church in case it matters) although I have no idea how that came about or why it stopped as to the best of my memory / knowledge no one in my family is religious and has never been to church apart from for funerals / weddings / Christenings (Which by the way I’m pretty sure I have been).

Fast forward the best part of 20 years: During which time I’ve never given any consideration to religion, if anyone had asked I would have said I was an Agnostic (although due to poor knowledge on the definitions I would have said Atheist at the time).

Now for whatever reason, a month ago I suddenly found myself thinking of God / Christ, I started reading the bible and saying a prayer almost every day since.

During this time I’ve asked myself daily "Do I believe in God?", "Do I believe Christ died for our sins?" Etc. And although every time when I ask myself directly like that the answer has been yes, almost without hesitation, I still find a while later I suddenly start questioning my answer “Do you really believe that? Are you sure? The answer to these always comes out as yes as well but the fact they keep coming up at all makes up uncomfortable labelling myself a Christian, as if I may be lying to myself, hence why for the moment I’ve opted for “Seeker” as my profile title.

Other thoughts on how I’ve changed recently.

Sex – I’ve always been of the mind that sex should not be a casual thing and should be reserved for someone you’re in a loving relationship with (though I would never previously have considered that only between a husband wife was necessary) but I have always been an avid user of inappropriate content / fantasy for personal sexual benefit on a daily basis. – When “this” began though my mind set completely changed, I deleted any inappropriate content I had / stopped viewing it online and stopped masturbating , though I admit I have given in to the urge a couple of times. I now even find myself averting my gaze from the TV at imes, not necessarily sex scenes, often it may only because some ones provocatively dressed, as I find myself feeling uncomfortable.

Language – Previously profanity was essentially normal language when talking with peers / colleagues (though never at home) but now I no longer feel that I need or want to use that language, though currently finding it hard to overcome 15+ years of habit entirely and they keep slipping out. Although what worries me more than direct profanity is that I keep finding myself using phrases like “For God’s sake” or “God knows” and these make me cringe the second I hear them come out of my mouth.

General – I now find that in situations that would previously have caused me to get quite stressed, that I’m remain calm a lot easier. I’m mainly thinking of situations such as being stuck in traffic or beyond a slower driver, where previously I would have cursed them out under my breath and at times driven aggressively I am now able to sit back and relax until the issue resolves itself and there examples in my work environment as well.

I could go one but feel this has already gotten too long, not to sure what I’m hoping to get as a result of this but felt compelled to put it out there and see what comes.

IF you are uncertain as to whether you are or are not a child of God aka a Christian, the best thing to do would be to ask Him again into your life. It's as easy as ABC Admit that you are a sinner (and we all still sin)
Believe that Christ did die for you but rose again
Confess your sin to God and ask Him to take control of your life.
You may see some changes immediately, or, you may not, BUT in time, just like a new born baby, you WILL start to see changes and see that you ARE growing in faith. If you still attend the church, speak to your pastor, minister or whatever title he has and tell him what you did, Ask if there are any classes that you could attend to get you started in the habit of reading/studying His Word. Speaking to him will also help you live for Him, as you will have made your first 'confession of Him' and he should also tell you if there are any other organisations going on in the church to be with like minded people. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

I'm pretty sure I was Christened as a baby (I've read differing opinions on whether Christening & Baptism are the same thing or not). I've no idea about other countrys but here in the UK having a baby 'Christened' seems to be the done thing largely irrelvent of the parents belifes so I'm not so sure if that can be taken to mean anything.

To "Christen" is to "make Christian", and thus in English is a word employed to speak of the baptism of infants. One's Baptism is dependent on God's promises; the reason why we have parents act as sponsors is because one purpose of Baptism is to bring a person into the Church catholic (it's not membership to an individual congregation, but into the wider community of Christian faithful, God's family). We typically make Baptism a public affair because it demonstrates our entrance into this community represented by the local congregation; and the entire congregation makes its promise to the baptized. Because infants are unable to speak their own voice, parents act as sponsors, and thus pledge to raise the child up in the faith. But it isn't the faith of the sponsor or the faith of the congregants or the faith of the one officiating the Baptism that is critical: It is the faithfulness of God who makes His promise through Baptism. Baptism "works" because of God's promise; it's a matter of God's grace alone, not human effort.

If there's a certificate of your baptism, that's an option just to make sure. If there is no record of it, and if you are unsure of whether you were baptized or not, that's something you could sit down and talk about with your pastor/priest. Sometimes when there is uncertainty, a conditional baptism is performed. It's important in many churches that we do not practice "rebaptism" baptism is a once and for all event in the life of a person, never to be repeated. Because Baptism isn't about our confession of faith, or our works, or our efforts, but--again--about God's grace and God's promises.

As for the type of church, I only mentioned that in passing as I wasn't sure how relavent it was and I happened to remember (the church I went to is a 2 minute walk away). I was only between 10 & 12 when I wen't so I really don't remember to much and wouldn't really feel any more comtable at that than any other.

I have on several occasions recently, gone to some of the more isolated / scenic churches around here, and just sat on a bench in the grounds comtemplating. I think I need to dosome proper research on the differening denominations before I actually attend one.

Dave

Research doesn't hurt. But don't feel too afraid to visit. Usually regardless of denomination or tradition most churches are more than happy to receive visitors. Being Lutheran I'm going to be more biased toward more traditional churches: Anglican, Lutheran, Roman Catholic, etc. But you should, by all means, feel free to visit any church you may be curious about. Also, if you would like to ask questions from people from specific traditions, most denominations/traditions have their own sub-board on the website and, far as I know, sincere questions are always welcome.

http://www.christianforums.com/forums/christian-communities.942/

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

sumfool

Jul 31, 2011
pluto
✟137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While the Spirit is evidently moving you, one must be formally baptised into the faith before one is truly a Christian.
Christianity is not just a faith, but a willingness to make a commitment.
was the criminal on the cross next to Jesus that Jesus said would see him in heaven baptized ?

Reactions: MishSill
Upvote 0

MishSill

Jun 10, 2015
New South Wales, Australia
✟7,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
was the criminal on the cross next to Jesus that Jesus said would see him in heaven baptized ?

No Sum he wasn't.

Baptism in water is something God asks us to do in His word. I think of it as a commitment to God in my faith and by the witness of others.

God understands if people don't have time to be baptised prior to their death. There are people who receive Christ on their death beds.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
For the sake of clarity I think this is worth mentioning:

From the perspective of those of us who have a traditional view of the Sacraments, in this case Baptism, we avoid legalistic approaches. In other words, while we confess that Baptism is the ordinary way by which God brings sinners into Christ and His saving work we do not believe God's hands are tied--as though God cannot accomplish this apart from Baptism. Baptism is the ordinary means, but God is not constrained.

For those of us who are Lutherans our understanding of the Sacraments are laid out clearly in our Confessions, the standard definition of a Sacrament used by Lutherans goes back to St. Augustine of Hippo who wrote that a Sacrament is a material element joined together with God's Word, in other words Sacraments are "Visible Word". Word here refers to God's Gospel and God's promises through the Gospel written and declared for us in Scripture, e.g. that we receive the Holy Spirit in Baptism (Acts 2:38), are joined to Christ's death and resurrection in Baptism (Romans 6:2-10), etc.

What we Lutherans reject is what is known as an "ex opere operato" view of the Sacraments. The phrase is Latin and it means "of the working of the work"; which would be to say that Baptism is efficacious on the act of baptizing itself--Lutherans reject that way of understanding. Instead what makes the Sacraments efficacious is the living and active Word of God. There's nothing special about the water, the one who performs the baptismal rite, or in any of the actions done; it's special because God has attached His Word to Baptism and therefore Baptism accomplishes what is promised. It does what it says on the tin.

And because it is the Word that matters here, this Word is powerful in and of itself; which is why Lutherans speak of "Word and Sacrament" because the preaching of the Word (that is, of the Gospel) is itself efficacious. So when a Lutheran encounters the episode in the Gospel where Christ turns to the thief and tells him "You will be with Me in Paradise" (not Heaven by the way) this is indeed the very Word of God. Christ speaks, and Christ's Word is true. If the Son of God turns to someone and says, "You're saved" we can be confident that it is so. Indeed it is this very same Word spoken to the thief that we believe is spoken to us through the preaching of the Gospel and in the administration of the Sacraments. What God spoke to the thief is what God speaks to us in Baptism. It is one and the same Word. And that is why it delivers what it promises, and does what it says, because God's Word is powerful, active, living, and never returns void.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It doesn't say.
Either way, he wasn't Christian. Christianity was not a religion yet at that time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I love this story, it's such a great testimony of the fact that GOD works salvation.

My personal opinion is an unequivocal YES to your question. Without a doubt the Spirit is working on your heart and without a doubt you believe in Jesus.

Your process of coming to faith in Jesus appears to be with less drama than I suppose most people expect. But you're not alone in this. Plenty of Christians don't have a mega 'conversion experience'. Some famous ones include St. Augustine, John Wesley, and CS Lewis. Augustine and Wesley appeared to have a major 'crisis' experience later on, however, where they felt there was a real change in their walk. It appears only after these experiences a lot of the feelings and emotions arrived, but before that they were believers in Christ, that can't be denied. Just keep going and the Spirit will work in you and reveal the truth to you, and experiences and feelings may only come some time later. Your doubts are normal, but I honestly believe you needn't worry too much. Just keep going.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christian is vague word and can mean almost anything. Originally it was epithet for disciples of Jesus. Today it seems to mean something else, because “Christians” don’t seem to be faithful to Jesus anymore. I recommend rather be named disciple of Jesus than Christian. Disciple of Jesus is defined by Jesus by this:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32

Believe what Jesus said, he is greater than any of us. And…

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't say.
Either way, he wasn't Christian. Christianity was not a religion yet at that time.

That would mean that the disciples of Christ weren't Christian either. But being a Christian doesn't mean the subscription to an established religion. It means that their faith was in Christ. The disciples placed their faith in Him, as did the criminal on the cross.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That would mean that the disciples of Christ weren't Christian either. But being a Christian doesn't mean the subscription to an established religion. It means that their faith was in Christ. The disciples placed their faith in Him, as did the criminal on the cross.
Baptism was established by John the Baptist.
The first disciples would have considered themselves Jews. They carried on the tradition of baptism from John.
Being a Christian indeed does mean committing to Christianity. Unless you are nailed to a fence or whatever, the expectation is that a Christian is one who takes the leap and makes the committment.

Salvation is another question.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Baptism was established by John the Baptist.
The first disciples would have considered themselves Jews. They carried on the tradition of baptism from John.
Being a Christian indeed does mean committing to Christianity. Unless you are nailed to a fence or whatever, the expectation is that a Christian is one who takes the leap and makes the committment.

Salvation is another question.

This addresses baptism though.

Upvote 0