Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi All,

Firstly this has turned out rather long so I apologise and thank anyone who has the patience to read it all.

I have absolutely no idea how to really go about putting down what I want to convey so I’ll start with a basic question and then throw in some back ground , feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

So the question is as the title: “Am I Christian?”

Some background: As a kid (Around 10-12) I went to Sunday school and was in a church choir (At a method church in case it matters) although I have no idea how that came about or why it stopped as to the best of my memory / knowledge no one in my family is religious and has never been to church apart from for funerals / weddings / Christenings (Which by the way I’m pretty sure I have been).

Fast forward the best part of 20 years: During which time I’ve never given any consideration to religion, if anyone had asked I would have said I was an Agnostic (although due to poor knowledge on the definitions I would have said Atheist at the time).

Now for whatever reason, a month ago I suddenly found myself thinking of God / Christ, I started reading the bible and saying a prayer almost every day since.

During this time I’ve asked myself daily "Do I believe in God?", "Do I believe Christ died for our sins?" Etc. And although every time when I ask myself directly like that the answer has been yes, almost without hesitation, I still find a while later I suddenly start questioning my answer “Do you really believe that? Are you sure? The answer to these always comes out as yes as well but the fact they keep coming up at all makes up uncomfortable labelling myself a Christian, as if I may be lying to myself, hence why for the moment I’ve opted for “Seeker” as my profile title.

Other thoughts on how I’ve changed recently.

Sex – I’ve always been of the mind that sex should not be a casual thing and should be reserved for someone you’re in a loving relationship with (though I would never previously have considered that only between a husband wife was necessary) but I have always been an avid user of inappropriate content / fantasy for personal sexual benefit on a daily basis. – When “this” began though my mind set completely changed, I deleted any inappropriate content I had / stopped viewing it online and stopped masturbating , though I admit I have given in to the urge a couple of times. I now even find myself averting my gaze from the TV at imes, not necessarily sex scenes, often it may only because some ones provocatively dressed, as I find myself feeling uncomfortable.

Language – Previously profanity was essentially normal language when talking with peers / colleagues (though never at home) but now I no longer feel that I need or want to use that language, though currently finding it hard to overcome 15+ years of habit entirely and they keep slipping out. Although what worries me more than direct profanity is that I keep finding myself using phrases like “For God’s sake” or “God knows” and these make me cringe the second I hear them come out of my mouth.

General – I now find that in situations that would previously have caused me to get quite stressed, that I’m remain calm a lot easier. I’m mainly thinking of situations such as being stuck in traffic or beyond a slower driver, where previously I would have cursed them out under my breath and at times driven aggressively I am now able to sit back and relax until the issue resolves itself and there examples in my work environment as well.

I could go one but feel this has already gotten too long, not to sure what I’m hoping to get as a result of this but felt compelled to put it out there and see what comes.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
While the Spirit is evidently moving you, one must be formally baptised into the faith before one is truly a Christian.
Christianity is not just a faith, but a willingness to make a commitment.

From Acts 16:
and after he brought them out, he said, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
31They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.” 32And they spoke the word of the Lord to him together with all who were in his house.

Note that the thief on the cross was never baptized, formally or otherwise. There are also many other instances in the bible where people simply believed in Christ, and the Holy Spirit entered them before ever being baptized:

From Acts 10:
44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.45All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,47“Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi All,

Firstly this has turned out rather long so I apologise and thank anyone who has the patience to read it all.

I have absolutely no idea how to really go about putting down what I want to convey so I’ll start with a basic question and then throw in some back ground , feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

Some background: As a kid (Around 10-12) I went to Sunday school and was in a church choir (At a method church in case it matters) although I have no idea how that came about or why it stopped as to the best of my memory / knowledge no one in my family is religious and has never been to church apart from for funerals / weddings / Christenings (Which by the way I’m pretty sure I have been).

Fast forward the best part of 20 years: During which time I’ve never given any consideration to religion, if anyone had asked I would have said I was an Agnostic (although due to poor knowledge on the definitions I would have said Atheist at the time).

Now for whatever reason, a month ago I suddenly found myself thinking of God / Christ, I started reading the bible and saying a prayer almost every day since.

During this time I’ve asked myself daily "Do I believe in God?", "Do I believe Christ died for our sins?" Etc. And although every time when I ask myself directly like that the answer has been yes, almost without hesitation, I still find a while later I suddenly start questioning my answer “Do you really believe that? Are you sure? The answer to these always comes out as yes as well but the fact they keep coming up at all makes up uncomfortable labelling myself a Christian, as if I may be lying to myself, hence why for the moment I’ve opted for “Seeker” as my profile title.

Other thoughts on how I’ve changed recently.

Sex – I’ve always been of the mind that sex should not be a casual thing and should be reserved for someone you’re in a loving relationship with (though I would never previously have considered that only between a husband wife was necessary) but I have always been an avid user of inappropriate content / fantasy for personal sexual benefit on a daily basis. – When “this” began though my mind set completely changed, I deleted any inappropriate content I had / stopped viewing it online and stopped masturbating , though I admit I have given in to the urge a couple of times. I now even find myself averting my gaze from the TV at imes, not necessarily sex scenes, often it may only because some ones provocatively dressed, as I find myself feeling uncomfortable.

Language – Previously profanity was essentially normal language when talking with peers / colleagues (though never at home) but now I no longer feel that I need or want to use that language, though currently finding it hard to overcome 15+ years of habit entirely and they keep slipping out. Although what worries me more than direct profanity is that I keep finding myself using phrases like “For God’s sake” or “God knows” and these make me cringe the second I hear them come out of my mouth.

General – I now find that in situations that would previously have caused me to get quite stressed, that I’m remain calm a lot easier. I’m mainly thinking of situations such as being stuck in traffic or beyond a slower driver, where previously I would have cursed them out under my breath and at times driven aggressively I am now able to sit back and relax until the issue resolves itself and there examples in my work environment as well.

I could go one but feel this has already gotten too long, not to sure what I’m hoping to get as a result of this but felt compelled to put it out there and see what comes.
This is all really interesting, certainly consistent with the behaviours of a follower of Christ. I am wondering though, to answer your question, what causes you to doubt that you are Christian?

Upvote 0

RaverDave2k

Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is all really interesting, certainly consistent with the behaviours of a follower of Christ. I am wondering though, to answer your question, what causes you to doubt that you are Christian?

Thanks for the comments so far..

To be honest second guessing myself is something I've done most of my life on any number of subjects as I've always found myself too concerned with what other people think and either worry about offending some one or being mocked depending on the issue.

In this case it would be the former, not wanting to offend those who definately are Christians by labelling myself with them wrongly, the later does not appear to be an issue in this case for the most part and I don't find myself concerned with being judged should I tell some one I believe in God, although the notion of revealing to my family makes ne nervous, not for fear of being judged but because we are not at all close (despite me living at home) and don't have personal conversations so it would be uncomftable in general not so much because of the subject.

Also the quickness in which everthing I mentioned above has happened, and seemingly have come from no where for no reason (that I can see) I guess is just a lot to comprehend.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

To be honest second guessing myself is something I've done most of my life on any number of subjects as I've always found myself too concerned with what other people think and either worry about offending some one or being mocked depending on the issue.

In this case it would be the former, not wanting to offend those who definately are Christians by labelling myself with them wrongly, the later does not appear to be an issue in this case for the most part and I don't find myself concerned with being judged should I tell some one I believe in God, although the notion of revealing to my family makes ne nervous, not for fear of being judged but because we are not at all close (despite me living at home) and don't have personal conversations so it would be uncomftable in general not so much because of the subject.

Also the quickness in which everthing I mentioned above has happened, and seemingly have come from no where for no reason (that I can see) I guess is just a lot to comprehend.

First I would like to say that it is very positive that you are praying and reading the Bible. Both of these together are a wonderful way to begin your walk with God.

One of the most wonderful things about Jesus death on the cross, is that He paid the sin debt for us in Full. Because sin has been removed from the picture for those who are in Christ Jesus, we are reconciled back to God. That is why we have the mind of Christ and the Holy Spirit in us. God with us. This is a very important principle and prayer is a wonderful way of taking advantage of having God with us and experiencing the presence of God.

Reading the Word is getting to know God and understanding who we are in Christ. There is so much in the Bible that shows us so much of the richness of God and how much He loves us. Sending his Only Begotten Son to us was such an act of love. All of creation was created, but not the Son. The Son is very special and is God Himself.

As long as you treat others with the respect they are due as human being I'm sure that you will not offend anyone.

Besides the four Gospels, put Romans and 1st Corinthians on your reading list. These are the best books to start with.

Welcome to the family of Christ.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I too am glad you are searching to know, which speaks of the matter of "quickening" ---which the Bible shows as a work of the Holy Spirit to reach the conscience of man and awaken/arouse to God. That seems to be where you are, and then God expects one to begin seeking Him and by His Holy Word of Truth. You seem to be doing that, so let me direct you to some clear instruction from God: John 1; John 3; John 14, which will clearly introduce the Savior and show you how to be saved and enjoy the eternal blessings of God.

A personal relationship with God's "beloved Son" is what God requires (note 1 Jn. 5:10-12); for intellectual knowledge is only a first step and not salvation. We need the Lord Jesus in our hearts and be devoted to Him as our best Friend to have any part in God. Begin speaking to Him and reading His Word, and you will be on your way in the Christian path as the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in you (note John 14:23). Write me anytime if you wish to chat.

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Am I Christian?”...

Hi Dave,

A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit. Romans 8v9 states:-“you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” So, it's vital to receive the Holy Spirit, but he is invisible and we cannot trust our own hearts that we are right with God . . . "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17v9)

Jesus warns that many who call Him "Lord" will be told "I never knew you", he's talking about church-goers, not agnostics !

So, God must bare independent witness, the apostles waited for this … In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit, and when they havn't.

At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit began to be given as never before, making people sons of God (see John 7v39, 14v17, 20; 16v7).

120 disciples "were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance ... having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR ... For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call." (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)

If you were told that what you could "see and hear" (the speaking in tongues) was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case?

With the gentiles (Acts 10v44):- “the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.”

How was this known?
"For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God." (v46)

If it is possible to receive the Spirit and NOT speak in tongues, the apostles were wrong to judge that the Spirit had just fallen upon people when they spoke in tongues. Logically, they could only say that people had at some unknown time previously received the Spirit, but they didn't.

- - - - -

I could go on but best thing is get to a meeting of people that believe this. I'm with these.
(& have been for nearly 30 years).

Upvote 0

RaverDave2k

Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all the replies, definately a lot to think about, my next step will probablly be attending a church service and seeing how that goes.

Incidently should I do feel ready to apply that label, how does one go about changing the faith option for my profile, can't see any way of doing do on the prefernces page?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

OK, so it seems you now are comfortable to identify as a Christian. I am quite curious to know what you can see has changed from your original post to the latest post. Did you find that you have suddenly believed something about Jesus' mission that you didn't believe before, or do you think it is better described that you have suddenly understood the meaning of being Christian in a way that you can see it describes you? I would quite like to know what has changed, because this isn't a typical sort of conversion where you had to be convinced that Jesus is Lord. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaverDave2k

Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Firstly thanks once again for your comments, hopefully in time as I continue to study the bible I will find a better understanding of exactly where my beliefs sit. I'll certainly take a look at the philosophy section.

Do you pray? I would like to pray with you if you are comfortable with that.

Yes I do indeed pray, I've tried to do so daily, even if on occasion it's only been a few brief words. - I won't lie, I'm not entire sure what would be ment by "pray with" as apposed to "pray for", at least in an online setting, thought the latter I am certainly comfortable with and indeed would welcome.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well, the Bible offers some very simple and clear indicators of genuine salvation:

1.) Loving obedience to God's commands.

1 John 1:5-7
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 2:3-5
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.

2.) A love for fellow believers.

1 John 3:14
14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.

3.) A hatred for the godless values, philosophies and practices of the World.

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

James 4:4
4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

4.) A hunger for, and delight in, the Word of God.

Jeremiah 15:16
16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.

Psalms 19:8-11
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward.

5.) A settled confidence and trust in God and Christ.

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

1 John 5:10-13
10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son.
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

6.) The inner witness of God's Spirit.

Ephesians 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Romans 8:9
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

These are not essentials for salvation; they are products of salvation. If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away.

Selah.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, the Bible offers some very simple and clear indicators of genuine salvation:

1.) Loving obedience to God's commands.

1 John 1:5-7
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

1 John 2:3-5
3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.

2.) A love for fellow believers.

1 John 3:14
14 We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death.

3.) A hatred for the godless values, philosophies and practices of the World.

1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world.
17 And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

James 4:4
4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

4.) A hunger for, and delight in, the Word of God.

Jeremiah 15:16
16 Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.

Psalms 19:8-11
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes;
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
10 More to be desired are they than gold, Yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
11 Moreover by them Your servant is warned, And in keeping them there is great reward.

5.) A settled confidence and trust in God and Christ.

Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

1 John 5:10-13
10 He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son.
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

6.) The inner witness of God's Spirit.

Ephesians 1:13-14
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Romans 8:9
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

These are not essentials for salvation; they are products of salvation. If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away.

Selah.

Why are the products of salvation as you call them, most important for someone who is seeking God and looking into Christianity? Isn't that like buying the cart before the horse?

It takes many people quite a long time to begin seeing this type of fruit in their lives. It's not instantaneous, like some make it out to be. I think that it's rather misleading to place this type of "if you are saved this happens" type of thing on new believers.

What that does it is creates like a 'laundry list' of things or sin that someone who is considering becoming part of Christ's family or a new member of the family of Christ, that it is all about what 'they' do. Not true at all.

Salvation is about what 'Christ' did.

Christ conquered sin and in Him, we have died to sin. Not that we will never sin again, that's not what being 'dead to sin' in Christ is about. However sin does not have the hold on us because in Christ our sin is forgiven.

It's about Jesus Christ sending the Holy Spirit to the new believer. The Holy Spirit lovingly guides us to conviction of sin, because we want to become more like our God. The Holy Spirit prays for what we know not to pray for ourselves.

The new believer is far from being left to their own devices with a laundry list of things to check to see if they have been truly saved. Come on, now....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Submission to God is a process. That process is called sanctification and each believer is led by the Holy Spirit to increased sanctification in Christ. It is a lifetime process that never ends, it is not a means to an end, but each person becoming more like Jesus Christ, who was perfect and perfect is something we will never be.

Homosexuality is a sin. There are all kinds of sin and each of us has sins that are much harder for us to overcome than others.

Christians like homosexuality because it is a very easy one to pick out, however we all know that lust and adultery are also sins, so let's be real in that a sin is a sin is a sin. We all ask for God's forgiveness for sin. That is something we ALL do. We all seek forgiveness for sin.

No need in picking out one sin above the others. It's not you who decides, nor forgives anyone.
Stop picking on aiki. He has spoken well in those two posts. Let OP decide whether aiki is helpful to him, and you should address OP if you are concerned about what someone else has told him. That is the rule in this forum, by the way, which can cause threads to be locked and deleted.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Stop picking on aiki. He has spoken well in those two posts. Let OP decide whether aiki is helpful to him, and you should address OP if you are concerned about what someone else has told him. That is the rule in this forum, by the way, which can cause threads to be locked and deleted.

I wasn't picking on anyone. I was clarifying what Aiki said as much of what he said comes along later as we become more sanctified and become more like Christ.

What I was doing what commenting on what had been said. Many people do that in forums. lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't picking on anyone. I was clarifying what Aiki said as much of what he said comes along later as we become more sanctified and become more like Christ.

What I was doing what commenting on what had been said. Many people do that in forums. lol.
Edit: on second thoughts I retract this, I will just report this incident to moderators.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why are the products of salvation as you call them, most important for someone who is seeking God and looking into Christianity? Isn't that like buying the cart before the horse?

Please read my post again. No, here, let me repeat what I wrote:

"These are not essentials for salvation; they are products of salvation. If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away."

The OP asked if he was saved or not and I simply gave him the means by which to judge himself regarding salvation. I did not say - or imply - that "the products of salvation were most important for someone seeking God and looking into Christianity." So, no, my comments were not putting the cart before the horse.

It takes many people quite a long time to begin seeing this type of fruit in their lives. It's not instantaneous, like some make it out to be. I think that it's rather misleading to place this type of "if you are saved this happens" type of thing on new believers.

Again, what did I actually write:

"If you are truly saved, these things will manifest in your life - though not necessarily in their fullest degree right away."

And the verses I posted were not taken out of context or spun in any way. They all clearly state a relationship between the conduct they describe and genuine salvation. If you have a problem with these verses, I suggest you take it up with the Author of them.

What that does it is creates like a 'laundry list' of things or sin that someone who is considering becoming part of Christ's family or a new member of the family of Christ, that it is all about what 'they' do. Not true at all.

Salvation is about what 'Christ' did.

2 Corinthians 13:5
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?--unless indeed you are disqualified.

There is very much a place for examining whether or not one is in the faith. The OP is trying to do this. There is no biblical prohibition against new believers making such an examination of themselves and the apostle Paul recommends it. I think, then, your concerns are rather misplaced.

The new believer is far from being left to their own devices with a laundry list of things to check to see if they have been truly saved. Come on, now....

Exactly at what point is a believer allowed to check to see if they are truly saved? Hmmm? Do you have some verse, perhaps, that lays out the proper time for a believer to do so? If not, why do you get to decide for all of us when the proper time is?

Selah.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Submission to God is a process. That process is called sanctification and each believer is led by the Holy Spirit to increased sanctification in Christ. It is a lifetime process that never ends, it is not a means to an end, but each person becoming more like Jesus Christ, who was perfect and perfect is something we will never be.

Yes. And? I know this very well.

Christians like homosexuality because it is a very easy one to pick out, however we all know that lust and adultery are also sins, so let's be real in that a sin is a sin is a sin. We all ask for God's forgiveness for sin. That is something we ALL do. We all seek forgiveness for sin.

No need in picking out one sin above the others. It's not you who decides, nor forgives anyone.

I can't speak for Christians generally since I don't really know that many believers personally, but I don't pick out homosexuality because it is easy to do so. If this sin stands out, it is because it is literally paraded in stark and vile fashion in cities all over America. It has been foisted upon the public through the courts, politics, and the popular media. We are being pressured to embrace this sin as perfectly natural and normal, not merely tolerate it as a necessary evil in a free society. This is why it stands out in the minds of believers. When gluttons or rapists start having parades where they casually flaunt their sin maybe Christians will start "picking out" these sins, too.

And, just to clarify, I have never said I am the "one who decides, nor forgives anyone." You did.

Selah.

Upvote 0