Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I was one as an early teen, 35 or so years back. The priest was unusual at that time allowing altar girls. I enjoyed it, and now my son serves mass... (and gasp, sometimes I'm a lector. ..it makes me a bit nervous even though I basically talk to groups for a living )

Upvote 0

Theatreguy18

The Episcopal avenger
Jun 15, 2015
Charleston S.C.
✟13,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't care. I believe anyone that wants to sincerely serve should be able to as long as they are in good standing with the church.
That's kinda were I fall too in my opinion

Upvote 0

Theatreguy18

The Episcopal avenger
Jun 15, 2015
Charleston S.C.
✟13,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was one as an early teen, 35 or so years back. The priest was unusual at that time allowing altar girls. I enjoyed it, and now my son serves mass... (and gasp, sometimes I'm a lector. ..it makes me a bit nervous even though I basically talk to groups for a living )
I consider myself a prolife feminist so I'm in favor of altar girls but I have seen the one church were they danced around the altar that was not ok but if it's tasteful and reverent then it's fine

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,273.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
<STAFF EDIT>

OBOB members have said many times that boys (who might become priests one day) are loath to become altar servers if girls are altar servers.

Some have said that girls should not be allowed in the sanctuary. Some have included that to exclude female lectors....

Some say women should not have their feet washed on Holy Thursday because the apostles were men. (I guess when Pope Francis visited a jail on Holy Thursday and washed the feet of female Muslim prisoners he put the kebosh was put on that misconception).

If none of these particular comments were made in the current thread, I congratulate posters for their common sense--or their restraint--or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that it is odd for girls to be alter servers
they can not become priests
and part of the spirituality of the alter server is to get young men familiarized with serving at the alter
hence alter server

but whats done is done
in places where it is already the norm, it would do more harm then good to remove the practice
too many hurt feelings

in places where it is not the norm
it should not be introduced

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Female altar servers are just fine, especially since they seem more interested in it than boys are. At the parishes I am familiar with, without girls there would not be enough servers.

Actually, as I think about it, without women as readers, Eucharistic Ministers, choir members, cantors and musicians, those parishes would be in big trouble. At one really large parish I know of, there are at least 20 Eucharistic Ministers helping with communion at one of the Masses. The average number of men in that group is four... And 16 women. The organist/choir director is a woman, the cantor is usually a woman, both readers are often women, and there are often 2 or 3 girl altar servers, with perhaps one boy. Yup, the males are conspicuous in their absence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
[rant] May I be permitted to remind all Latin [ Roman] Catholics that lay people are not , never have been, and never will be Eucharistic Ministers !!

The only Eucharistic Ministers are Clergy - Deacons [ Transitional and Permanent] Priests and Bishops; Archbishops, Metropolitans , Cardinals, Patriarchs [ yes there are still some in the Latin Church ] and of course the Holy Father himself.

Lay people who assist in the Distribution of Communion are Extra Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion - the use of Extra Ordinary is deliberate - they should only be used to assist where it is necessary because of a lack of Ministers of the Eucharist [ i.e. clergy] would cause an unacceptable lengthening of the Service [/rant]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FlaviusAetius

Nov 17, 2012
✟18,998.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
When I attended mass as a teen my parish had female readers and altar girls.

Personally, I support it. It helps strengthen spirituality in female Catholics and let's them be a part of the community.

At the same time I have no qualms with female priests being impossible due to dogma.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[rant] May I be permitted to remind all Latin [ Roman] Catholics that lay people are not , never have been, and never will be Eucharistic Ministers !!

The only Eucharistic Ministers are Clergy - Deacons [ Transitional and Permanent] Priests and Bishops; Archbishops, Metropolitans , Cardinals, Patriarchs [ yes there are still some in the Latin Church ] and of course the Holy Father himself.

Lay people who assist in the Distribution of Communion are Extra Ordinary Ministers of Holy Communion - the use of Extra Ordinary is deliberate - they should only be used to assist where it is necessary because of a lack of Ministers of the Eucharist [ i.e. clergy] would cause an unacceptable lengthening of the Service [/rant]
I do know that, but I was just using the short-hand version to save wear and tear on my fingers. "Extra Ordinary" is an adjective, and like calling the tree in my yard a birch tree does not alter the fact that it is basically a tree. When I am privileged to distribute communion I am a Eucharistic Minister, plain and simple, no matter how you wish to label it.

I also understand the rule about when the "extra ordinary" ministers should be used, but I can tell you from experience that the rule is not exactly followed. When I assisted at Masses in a Catholic retirement community, the elderly priests who drove there to celebrate the liturgy often asked me and the other "helper" to distribute communion while he sat in his chair. At another parish I attend periodically, the priest always sits while lay people distribute communion. He is neither old nor physically impaired, so he seems to be consciously breaking the rules.

But I understand your rant, and expected it. The reality, like with many other aspects of the Catholic Church, is often different that what is expected, stated or hoped for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OBOB members have said many times that boys (who might become priests one day) are loath to become altar servers if girls are altar servers.

Some have said that girls should not be allowed in the sanctuary. Some have included that to exclude female lectors....

Some say women should not have their feet washed on Holy Thursday because the apostles were men. (I guess when Pope Francis visited a jail on Holy Thursday and washed the feet of female Muslim prisoners he put the kebosh was put on that misconception).

If none of these particular comments were made in the current thread, I congratulate posters for their common sense--or their restraint--or both.
Fantine, you are funny .:scratch:

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I missed commenting on this earlier. That idea seems to have germinated from an interview of an old reactionary Cardinal who said some other off-the-wall stuff. I have never heard this from any other source or seen any surveys or studies to indicate that girls are intimidating the boys who want to be servers. Sounds like a kind of "mafia" thing, where the girls have taken over the territory and won't allow the boys a piece of the action.

If there is any pressure on boys about this, it is likely coming from other boys, not from girls. I know if girls could have been servers back in the day, I would have volunteered to serve with them, not avoided them.

Upvote 0