Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is the limit?
Is there one?
How old is to old?

What do you guys think.

I saw something about a 40+ person dating someone who is in their early 20's recently. This left me with an odd feeling and I can not pinpoint why exactly.
It may be because I was told its odd before or just rare. I know people around me who are married are only a few years older or younger then their spouse.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont really concern myself with other peoples business. I do think that if theres a generation gap its probably going to be unequally yoked and one person will be codependent on the other, which is unhealthy. A generation gap could be ten years or twenty. It depends on what era you were born as well. When people grow up with differing circumstances they are going to have different views on things.

Most of the marriages in my family are pretty close in age except with maybe one uncle who married someone much younger. I think the difference will show up when they get older and the younger spouse, being healthier will need to start looking after the older one. But I have heard that men go after younger women because they never really grow up anyway lol. Eg you only considered old when you are 60.

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I dont really concern myself with other peoples business. I do think that if theres a generation gap its probably going to be unequally yoked and one person will be codependent on the other, which is unhealthy. A generation gap could be ten years or twenty. It depends on what era you were born as well. When people grow up with differing circumstances they are going to have different views on things.

Most of the marriages in my family are pretty close in age except with maybe one uncle who married someone much younger. I think the difference will show up when they get older and the younger spouse, being healthier will need to start looking after the older one. But I have heard that men go after younger women because they never really grow up anyway lol. Eg you only considered old when you are 60.
I don't really care what other people do dating wise either its up to them not me. Its a little weird when the guy could be her dad though.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well yea thats weird. Often those types of relationships are sugar daddy or sugar mama type ones. Often they dont work out, and the person was seduced comes into bondage they cant easily get out of. But that depends on the hidden motives for them to be together..usually it involves money in exchange for favours, to be blunt.

Reactions: CCHIPSS
Upvote 0

James of Arc

Venomous Turtle
Site Supporter
Apr 4, 2016
✟30,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was told that the age gap that is allowed is half your age plus 7 years until you are 50 and then I forget the rule.

So if your 40 you can date somebody half your age plus 7 years so the youngest should be 27. If you are 20 then it is half your age plus 7 years so the youngest you should date is 17.

Its just something I heard and not fact.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Everyone seems to have slightly different limits. For me, I wouldn't date a girl who's more than four years younger than I, and I might go as high as six years older but that depends.

I have a friend who's wife is 11 years younger than him, he was about 36 when they got married. I can't see myself in a relationship with a girl who's that much younger than me (but then, to get my mind into that scenario right now that would mean I was dating an 18 year old, I couldn't handle that much immaturity). Maybe it makes a little bit more sense when the younger party is in their mid-twenties.

The age gap between my friend and his wife is probably at the upper limits of what I would consider normal. When it gets beyond that then it starts looking like the younger party has mommy/daddy issues and the older one is pervy. I knew a lady briefly who was something like 42 and dating a guy who was my age (at the time - so about 24-25yo). The whole situation was kind of seedy.

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Everyone seems to have slightly different limits. For me, I wouldn't date a girl who's more than four years younger than I, and I might go as high as six years older but that depends.

I have a friend who's wife is 11 years younger than him, he was about 36 when they got married. I can't see myself in a relationship with a girl who's that much younger than me (but then, to get my mind into that scenario right now that would mean I was dating an 18 year old, I couldn't handle that much immaturity). Maybe it makes a little bit more sense when the younger party is in their mid-twenties.

The age gap between my friend and his wife is probably at the upper limits of what I would consider normal. When it gets beyond that then it starts looking like the younger party has mommy/daddy issues and the older one is pervy. I knew a lady briefly who was something like 42 and dating a guy who was my age (at the time - so about 24-25yo). The whole situation was kind of seedy.
That's how I feel about this one relationship I found out about. 49 year old dating a 20 year old girl. It left me with an off feeling. Some little bell went off in my head.

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one who feels like it's a little strange.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's how I feel about this one relationship I found out about. 49 year old dating a 20 year old girl. It left me with an off feeling. Some little bell went off in my head.

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one who feels like it's a little strange.

Yeah I think in older, pre-industrial times it might've been more of a norm, but I think in the post-modern age it's kind of inappropriate. For better or worse.

Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
because 20's are all just a bunch of children. they aren't real adults. that's what you mean, right?
Well all people are different I am 24 and I dated a guy who would I guess be like 27 now. He was not as mature in a few ways compared to me. I feel like I was in more control of my emotions then him and also how I took care of myself. I handled my problems better also from what I saw with him.

In this case the 20 year old may not be in love with this older person and may be going through a bout of something else who knows I honestly can't judge them.

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the american way seems to be get the best for me no matter who it costs. do you have more optimism than that? if so, maybe we should be friends and you can show me the way out of darkness.
I don't think that's the American way.
Now there are people who do get into a relationship just for the benefits and a free meal and that is their only goal. That's not a good way to be though.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that's the American way.
Now there are people who do get into a relationship just for the benefits and a free meal and that is their only goal. That's not a good way to be though.

I hope you are right. Even if it were just among christians I might be happy. But I struggle seeing the christian american way as anything other than looking out for oneself. the methodists have started to challenge me there, but on the whole I'm not convinced.

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hope you are right. Even if it were just among christians I might be happy. But I struggle seeing the christian american way as anything other than looking out for oneself. the methodists have started to challenge me there, but on the whole I'm not convinced.
Do you think all Christians are the same to start? If you would like to continue this feel free to pm me I am willing to talk. I do not want to go off topic here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think this is going off topic. From my posts I think that people should stick to their own age groups, but I don't think people should expect their age group to really demonstrate some kind of maturity. So, 20s dating 50s is weird--but it is not weird for "maturity" sake. A 50-something might be less mature than a 20-something. Age is just a cheap hueristic; a simple rule to go by that tends to be ok. Instead we need to put in a little effort to see if someone is on the same page. But I don't think you were shooting for anything beyond this and so it isn't an argument or troll or whathaveyou.

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A thread on age gaps within a relationship wouldn't be complete without my official subscription to it.

So here it is: subscribing.

We knew you would subscribe. I think you have some sort of sixth sense about these threads. lol

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The biggest age gap I can recall in my own relationships is when I dated someone about four or five years my junior when I was in my late 20s. It didn't work out, and part of the reason why it didn't was that she was still wanting to party and I was never very good at that, so it was very uncomfortable for us both. I don't care to drink or stay out until 4 in the morning or anything like that. I figure that kind of thing could be more prevalent in a relationship with a large age gap, depending. Of course, it could also be present for people closer in age who just happen to have different personalities. No degree of closeness in age is going to make someone you don't actually fit with any better for you.

Subsequent to that, I've recently had a much younger girl who expressed interest in me for some reason ask about why we don't date, etc. She's ten years my junior, and while very nice and attractive and such, all I can say is...flighty. Flighty, flighty. I can't in good conscience tar her entire generation with that label, but then even the fact that I think of her as belonging to a different generation than I do indicates that this would probably never work, so I did not really entertain her question. That's the thing about younger people: Maybe it's just the ones I know, but it seems like there's an awful lot of 'finding oneself' going on well into the 20s these days. So you never really know where you stand, because a week from now they could be a completely different person after having read some book, or seen some film, or whatever it is that makes people think that they should make sweeping changes to their lives and identities based on these self-realizations they come to. And that's something I just find weird and cannot imagine coping with very well at all. Stability and a certain emotional consistency, along with reasonable and informed goal-setting, are things that I value a lot in people, regardless of what type of relationship I may have to them. Maybe I'm just past the age of being willing to date someone just because they seem intriguing that week or whatever, but it's like...come on, folks...life is not some hip indie movie where people are constantly having these deep revelations all set to experimental techno music, and everything is super-intense and everyone's emotions are amped up to 1,000 every single minute about every little thing. That's it. That's what I will say: With no disrespect meant to today's young people, I am exhausted by most of them. I don't want to date someone who is exhausting when regular, everyday life without anyone else is already exhausting in its own way. St. John Chrysostom wrote that the pair in a Christian marriage (and hence I imagine any other type of relationship that could lead to marriage should fit here, too) should be like the hand and the eye: when the hand is hurt, the eye should be crying, and when the eye is crying, the hand should wipe away the tears. Not when the hand is hurt the eye should flip out because AHHH I JUST CAN'T EVEN DEAL WITH THIIIIIS RIGHT NOWWWWW! I'M GOING TO GO BACKPACKING IN INDIA AND CONVERT TO HINDUISM BECAUSE THEY GET EXTRA EYES!!!

Just...please stop assaulting me with your...life. :sigh:

Reactions: CCHIPSS
Upvote 0