• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Advice needed

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi
I'd be really grateful for some practical advice. My boyfriend is Paranoid schizophrenic but doesn't really take meds properly. He's also been on the same ones for decades...(repeat prescription) and is very paranoid both about meds as well as pretty much everyone/thing.
He has no friends, no job, is rejected by family and only sees his mum who is also mentally ill. No one except for me comes to his home. (which was in a shocking state when we first met)
To summarise in the past 14 months he has been like 2 people- one is awesome and loving. The other person hears voices (he says its me saying nasty things) and then shouts and gets verbally abusive.
To begin with I coped because God's grace was with me. However i cant see a way forwards/future without some help/ advice.
I really do love him and want a future. I am praying (of course) but now I wonder if I should seek more practical advice?
Would anyone who suffers with paranoid Schizophrenia be kind enough to recommend strategies. Last time i saw him he was shouting abuse at me so i asked him to leave. I hate the thought of my neighbours hearing and also sometimes I get tired and I end up arguing back and trying to reason.
I really don't want to quit...

AphroditeGoneAwry

Dec 2, 2012
Montana
Visit site
✟9,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes people are (often) misdiagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Dissociative disorders are an example of misdiagnosis.

I recommend intensive daily therapy and communication with one or two trusted loved ones, preferably who love God. Constant communication with sound mentally healthy individuals who can be a solid sounding board. Typical therapists and counselors are able to do little good because they are usually only available by appt, and only one hour per week at that. No once can heal in that scenario!

Reactions: Tanya2015
Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes people are (often) misdiagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Dissociative disorders are an example of misdiagnosis.

I recommend intensive daily therapy and communication with one or two trusted loved ones, preferably who love God. Constant communication with sound mentally healthy individuals who can be a solid sounding board. Typical therapists and counselors are able to do little good because they are usually only available by appt, and only one hour per week at that. No once can heal in that scenario!

Thank you. I am the only Christian in his life. He doesn't think he needs help (although occasionally he says so for a few hours and then switches & turns on me a few minutes later. I'm sorry if i sound bitter but I really am struggling.

Upvote 0

muarader64

Oct 24, 2008
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He needs to take his meds. When I wasn't on meds as a paranoid schizophrenic a long time ago, I literally couldn't avoid an arguement with family members. You can fall into deep delusions.....feeling you are right and everyone else is wrong. specially if it's biblical delusions.......... what does he yell at you about?

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi
he hears a voice sounding just like mine saying something unpleasant and he's convinced I said it. he also suspects me of other things...these paranoias are very real to him and very upsetting and most of the time I just take some space to recover.

i haven't been able to convince hi to have his meds reassessed in 14 months. he's very contrary to changing them. The docs seem to have washed their hands of him too, which doesnt help.

Upvote 0

muarader64

Oct 24, 2008
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see..... Does using logic work on him? How long have you two known each other? He can't differentiate between stuff that you are really likely to say, and the ones the voices are tricking him into thinking you are saying? I had the same problem, hearing people say things they really didn't say.....but I was able to recognize that something was amiss.....they were too extreme.

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
that's very interesting and useful- thank you.
I have unfortunately said some unkind things when i have been very agitated in the past but more recently avoided getting so upset (by trying not to take things personally).
The voices are critical ones, parents, ex- girlfriends in my opinion....so the sorts of things someone might possibly say but which i don't.
He does reason when he's well and usually apologises...but it really can feel like two different people.
He's also convinced I see other people and has sometimes thought I was trying to poison him too or even sacrifice him (together with my neighbours) :-(
he has also agreed that was extreme....

Someone told me the poisoning fear is not uncommon..I really feel for him as it's such a scary place to live in!

Upvote 0

muarader64

Oct 24, 2008
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Extreme indeed......kinda sounds like panic attacks. My suggestion is to try and pray to the LORD about it, seeking guidance on how to deal with this situation properly with a calm mind(I know it can be hard sometimes).

If he's agreeing with you about and on some things, maybe he can agree to see a psychiatrist in an attempt to get some help? I know some people on here have claimed to be rid of their symptoms through prayer etc..... maybe you can pray with him if he still refuses to seek help?

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi- I have been praying for him and with him for 14 months. he is very open to prayer.
I am feeling like it might well be dissociative identity disorder because he actually experiences an incorrect perspective of an event and then maybe a day later he sees the event from the real perspective (his own, the correct one)

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
thank you everyone- pls keep the comments coming. it's helpful as this can be a lonely place and having people share experiences/insight is great.
We need to start seeing people how God sees them. I am praying God continually changes my heart and helps me see my boyfriend with more compassion and to keep walking in forgiveness and love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi
I'd be really grateful for some practical advice. My boyfriend is Paranoid schizophrenic but doesn't really take meds properly. He's also been on the same ones for decades...(repeat prescription) and is very paranoid both about meds as well as pretty much everyone/thing.
He has no friends, no job, is rejected by family and only sees his mum who is also mentally ill. No one except for me comes to his home. (which was in a shocking state when we first met)
To summarise in the past 14 months he has been like 2 people- one is awesome and loving. The other person hears voices (he says its me saying nasty things) and then shouts and gets verbally abusive.
To begin with I coped because God's grace was with me. However i cant see a way forwards/future without some help/ advice.
I really do love him and want a future. I am praying (of course) but now I wonder if I should seek more practical advice?
Would anyone who suffers with paranoid Schizophrenia be kind enough to recommend strategies. Last time i saw him he was shouting abuse at me so i asked him to leave. I hate the thought of my neighbours hearing and also sometimes I get tired and I end up arguing back and trying to reason.
I really don't want to quit...

Your boyfriend has a demon in him that is talking to him.
I would advise that he see a priest.
I know someone that does exorcisms, if he is interested let me now and I will have him contact him. No charge, but he has to listen. This person has been doing this for over 60 years and he has a radio call in program, 6 to 9 pm m-fri his interest is in helping people. He is 87 years old.
I understand about how demons talk to people. (long story)

Once it is out your boyfriend will be a new person.
I can give him the info in messaging privately.
I wish you the best.
Madera

This man is a pastor, but he doesn't call himself one. He teaches work similar to catholics but he as no church. He is a very different person, does not sound religious, but, he is very much one in his heart.
Sure worth a try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Your boyfriend has a demon in him that is talking to him.
I would advise that he see a priest.
I know someone that does exorcisms, if he is interested let me now and I will have him contact him. No charge, but he has to listen. This person has been doing this for over 60 years and he has a radio call in program, 6 to 9 pm m-fri his interest is in helping people. He is 87 years old.
I understand about how demons talk to people. (long story)

Once it is out your boyfriend will be a new person.
I can give him the info in messaging privately.
I wish you the best.
Madera

This man is a pastor, but he doesn't call himself one. He teaches work similar to catholics but he as no church. He is a very different person, does not sound religious, but, he is very much one in his heart.
Sure worth a try.

you can call his program even call in and explain your boy friends problem.
This is a non profit organization.
Medication is not going to help your friend. if you love him you will call in.
If that voice tells him to commit suicide, he may do it. so I really recommend this to you.
I will not post again, it is up to you'

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
you can call his program even call in and explain your boy friends problem.
This is a non profit organization.
Medication is not going to help your friend. if you love him you will call in.
If that voice tells him to commit suicide, he may do it. so I really recommend this to you.
I will not post again, it is up to you'

Hi-
I know about deliverance ministry. I also know that unless the house is swept clean that it is usually unsuccessful, because more attack takes place (bind the strongman) so people need to be fairly cooperative in order to be set free.
My boyfriend (at present) doesn't even believe he is ill.
Also- Jesus always ministered out of a heart of compassion and alongside speaking truth. This is very important.
Can i ask, what is the ministry's/minister's name?

Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi-
I know about deliverance ministry. I also know that unless the house is swept clean that it is usually unsuccessful, because more attack takes place (bind the strongman) so people need to be fairly cooperative in order to be set free.
My boyfriend (at present) doesn't even believe he is ill.
Also- Jesus always ministered out of a heart of compassion and alongside speaking truth. This is very important.
Can i ask, what is the ministry's/minister's name?
I AM HAPPY YOU REPLIED.
GO TO FHU.COM

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi Madera23,
I listened to about 20 minutes and I'm afraid I don't feel that what was said is what i would call gospel led Christianity. He spoke mainly of negative issues surrounding American politics and he said things like;
"I am the only man that can save America and you can join me if you goto my website"
He didn't speak of Jesus once, the power of Jesus' blood (which is the only thing that delivers us), forgiveness, God's love for us or anything remotely speaking of the gospel of salvation.
he spoke quite unkindly of various political groups calling some people 'idiots'
I'm afraid I do not advocate this website to people who are looking for freedom through Christ Jesus.

Reactions: Berean34
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Madera23,
I listened to about 20 minutes and I'm afraid I don't feel that what was said is what i would call gospel led Christianity. He spoke mainly of negative issues surrounding American politics and he said things like;
"I am the only man that can save America and you can join me if you goto my website"
He didn't speak of Jesus once, the power of Jesus' blood (which is the only thing that delivers us), forgiveness, God's love for us or anything remotely speaking of the gospel of salvation.
he spoke quite unkindly of various political groups calling some people 'idiots'
I'm afraid I do not advocate this website to people who are looking for freedom through Christ Jesus.
He is unlike the sweet talking pastors.
he is trying to save this country. He is not like the sweet mealy mouths pastors.
if you just want religion you are not going to find the spiritual Christ.
Jesus is not religious, he is spiritual so am I.
My relationship with Christ is spiritual
Christ gave me an exorcism 50 years and healed me instantly healing me emotionally and physically
permantly. I am 92 years of age and my mind is very alert.
Your friend needs your help and this man can do it, dont let him go down the drain.
if his demon tells him to commit suicide as he gets worse, he may listen to it.
Praying for him will not help him. Dont wait till he loses his mind.
I tried to help but I wont say anymore.
Madera
read his writings, dont be so quick to judge, that is not Christian.
at least take him to a priest. Do something.

Upvote 0

Strachan

Serving the most High
Jul 27, 2013
Mandurah, Western Australia
✟11,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tanya,

Although it is provably correct that your boyfriend needs deliverance, he has to come to that decision himself. The best course of action at the moment is to go forward in prayer. Intercede for him. It might be quick, or it may take years, but the answer will come. Be persistent.

The prayers of a righteous person avails much.

Upvote 0

Tanya2015

Jul 11, 2015
✟7,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Madera, I apologise for judging. I choose to trust God and not fear...it's a choice I make.
Strachan, i will continue praying. I believe God has both me and my boyfriend on a journey and I am choosing to walk this out in love. He has reminded me of 1 Cor 13. My heavenly Father loves me and I can rest in his faithfulness and goodness.
Thank you all for your input here.

1 Cor 13
1If I speak in the tonguesa of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Reactions: Berean34
Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Madera, I apologise for judging. I choose to trust God and not fear...it's a choice I make.
Strachan, i will continue praying. I believe God has both me and my boyfriend on a journey and I am choosing to walk this out in love. He has reminded me of 1 Cor 13. My heavenly Father loves me and I can rest in his faithfulness and goodness.
Thank you all for your input here.

1 Cor 13
1If I speak in the tonguesa of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,b but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Upvote 0

madera23

May 14, 2014
✟634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Hi tanya
I just want you to know that you can talk to it and it will answer.
make a cross and put it on your boy friends forhead and ask its name.

when Jesus was in the desert one tried to enter and Jesus told it to leave and it did..
You have a task before you.
Madera

Upvote 0