advice 4 a friend

Oct 3, 2009
northern ireland belfast
✟15,143.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
hello everyone i,ve been getting a few questions of a friend about Christianity he,s been saying he believes in god but theres 1 thing that stops him frm being saved he says he cant accept that if ur a good person with a good heart and live ur life as right as u can but like a we drink every now and then but if you were 2 die 2 moro and because you werent saved you,d go to hell he,s got me thinking 2 my answer was if your heart is good it will b between u n god what happens

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Define "a good person with a good heart"?

Does that mean, "a person who has never sinned at all" or "a person who has sinned less than other people have?"

If you mean that they've never sinned at all, then they will not go to hell. (which I don't think a drink now and then is a sin - ex. Jesus turned water into wine for a marriage, etc.) But they must have never sinned at all. Do you know anyone who meets that criteria? How bout meets "only sinned twice in their whole life?" I don't know anyone who meets that either. We are not as good as we like to give ourselves credit for.

If you mean just sinned less than others, that doesn't really matter. We won't be judged on how well we did compared to other people, but how well we did compared to God's law.

...No one is good except God alone. - Luke 18:19b

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good? Maybe show him this:
The Good Test

A good person is a sinless person and that doesn't exist on earth. Jesus was but nobody else.
Your friend sounds like a humanist who think that man alone is basically good-that is just the opposite of the bible.

www.TheBibleProofBook.com

Being good natured isn't good enough with a fallen nature. Isaiah 64:6-our righteousness is as filthy rags.

And its like having ants build u a house-not real impressive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChildOfGod97

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
✟16,465.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
hello everyone i,ve been getting a few questions of a friend about Christianity he,s been saying he believes in god but theres 1 thing that stops him frm being saved he says he cant accept that if ur a good person with a good heart and live ur life as right as u can but like a we drink every now and then but if you were 2 die 2 moro and because you werent saved you,d go to hell he,s got me thinking 2 my answer was if your heart is good it will b between u n god what happens

The resurrection and the life is now. The assurance is now, not tomorrow. The search for more life is always.

Excuses to not believe in God, arbitrary rules, and all of that is of darkness. The very same darkness that is behind all illness and death, all destruction, all pain, all sorrow.

If one says to God, "God, I want to be friends with damnation right now", don't pretend it is something else they are doing then betraying God.

But not everyone has light. If they have no light inside and see it only in you, how can they know to believe you when their own heart does not confirm what you say is true?

So pray that the Lord make them believe.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that most people struggle with that question. There is the issue of justice, can a consistently good person and a newly repentant person be compared, fairly.

Jesus said the last will be first.

That does not mean God completely ignores justice, or ignores people who consistently live a thoughtful and generous life. He works in all of us, even when we're not noticing.

The Old Testament standards of God's decision-making was VERY works-based, even though faith was also considered. He is the same God. It is a new contract.

Why the new contract? While we were yet sinners... He knew we were not capable of keeping all the laws, and living life perfectly. He provided a way.

Jesus' sacrifice was meant to be a mercy gesture, not something that drives people out of God's kingdom.

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2009
northern ireland belfast
✟15,143.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
been talking 2 my bud he,s gave me another example he says what about people like doctors n nurses who save lives but because it,s a stressful job would hav a drink or two people in the forces that have to kill people to keep law and order soldiers fighting wars
and so on

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When you think about it, it's comparable to a 9-year-old brat who has gotten in all sorts of trouble saying that if his parents were good and loving parents, they wouldn't punish him for the bad things he'd just done. The kid and your friend both have it totally backwards.

The whole reason for Christianity is that no one can behave good enough for long enough to reach Heaven on their own merits. We all do things deserving of eternal separation from God. So what God had to do was send Jesus to pay for their sins with his death and rise again so that they could join him in Heaven. And he said the offer is good for believers only. It's a good deal, especially when you consider we don't deserve any sort of deal at all.

Also, to those who are legally old enough to drink, having a drink or two isn't a sin. Getting drunk is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 thing that stops him frm being saved he says he cant accept that ...

However you would finish the statement above, let me ask you (or your friend) this: do you agree with every single policy at the place where you work? Do you work there anyway? Do you agree with every ordinance of your government? Do you still live in your country? Yet, our jobs and our Earthly homes are irrelevant compared to our eternal salvation.

In many cases, we misinterpret and misunderstand God's rules and intentions. But even if we do properly understand it, who are we to question the all-knowing, eternal, creator of the universe?

I believe that the only reason why we have so many selfish complaints and questions is that we don't have anywhere near an adequate appreciation of God's glory. If we caught even a partial glance of his true splendor, we'd fall on our face in fear and awe and we'd want nothing more than to do everything that He wanted of us.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
been talking 2 my bud he,s gave me another example he says what about people like doctors n nurses who save lives but because it,s a stressful job would hav a drink or two people in the forces that have to kill people to keep law and order soldiers fighting wars
and so on
I just think the stakes are higher than he's letting himself in on. This isn't a pub bet, winner gets heaven.

The stakes are high. They're perfection, not an arm-wrestle or a good turn. If God has never claimed that a good turn is "good enough", why would He start with a nice doctor, or someone who's never really been confronted with the sinfulness in his heart?

Back in Romans 7 Paul talks about how he felt like he was live as long as he didn't seriously check out his heart against the Law. People are going to "assume the best". But God's going to know what we're really like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We don't need to badger people about sin. That's something for the Holy Spirit to do. There are many other avenues to bring someone to trust in Jesus. Various surveys usually show only around 30% of people became Christians because of guilt,

John
NZ

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This suggests he has a heart that is not really ready - remember that Jesus says "He who loses his life for my sake will gain it".

My experience is that God has unfailing mercy on His people, if your friend is afraid to give up his drinking problem then he has already acknowledged he has a problem. Remember you don't actually have to go to church or even have a relationship with God to enter Heaven, it is only if you choose to deny that Jesus is Christ, the son of God that you will not enter the kingdom of God.

Also point out to him that judgementalism is meant to be used for self improvement, not for improving others. He may need to be baptised and ask Jesus into his life so that he can begin to hear judgementalism with a pinch of salt instead of salt poured in his wound.

My experience is that God grants our wishes rather than revokes our rights so there really should be no fear whatsoever from being prevented from a drink in the right context, but certainly God will heal any abusive addictions as soon as he decides to trust Him.

Upvote 0