Adventist prophet Ellen White predicts rise of slavery again in the southern states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,452.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following is a statement by Ellen White, who Adventists consider to be a prophet, and who's writings are held by the Adventist church to be a continuing source of truth.

Slavery will again be revived in the Southern States; for the spirit of slavery still lives. Therefore it will not do for those who labor among the colored people to preach the truth as boldly and openly as they would be free to do in other places. Even Christ clothed His lessons in figures and parables to avoid the opposition of the Pharisees. When the colored people feel that they have the word of God in regard to the Sabbath question, and the sanction of those who have brought them the truth, some who are impulsive will take the opportunity to defy the Sunday laws, and by a presumptuous defiance of their oppressors they will bring to themselves much sorrow. {2MR 299.4}

The above quote states that slavery will again be revived in the southern states. When do the Adventists here on CF see this as happening?

The quote also advises to not labor as boldly or openly among the "colored people" for this reason.

I did not see many who thought that while in the church. In fact I rarely saw this quotation discussed.

If slavery does not revive for some time should you still be cautious about proclaiming truth of the sabbath to the "colored people" in the south until then?

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The following is a statement by Ellen White, who Adventists consider to be a prophet, and who's writings are held by the Adventist church to be a continuing source of truth.

Slavery will again be revived in the Southern States; for the spirit of slavery still lives. Therefore it will not do for those who labor among the colored people to preach the truth as boldly and openly as they would be free to do in other places. Even Christ clothed His lessons in figures and parables to avoid the opposition of the Pharisees. When the colored people feel that they have the word of God in regard to the Sabbath question, and the sanction of those who have brought them the truth, some who are impulsive will take the opportunity to defy the Sunday laws, and by a presumptuous defiance of their oppressors they will bring to themselves much sorrow. {2MR 299.4}

The above quote states that slavery will again be revived in the southern states. When do the Adventists here on CF see this as happening?

The quote also advises to not labor as boldly or openly among the "colored people" for this reason.

I did not see many who thought that while in the church. In fact I rarely saw this quotation discussed.

If slavery does not revive for some time should you still be cautious about proclaiming truth of the sabbath to the "colored people" in the south until then?

The more that I hear about the insane ravings of the "prophet" Ellen White, the more I can't understand how sane, rational people in the 21st century can't see her for what she is.

Reactions: ShirChadash
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The more that I hear about the insane ravings of the "prophet" Ellen White, the more I can't understand how sane, rational people in the 21st century can't see her for what she is.
Greetings BS! I believe most do see her for what she is.

I don't think she can be as bad as "Jezebel" though and I also would think the Jews would not take her seriously........ ;) :wave:

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7207091

Reve 2:20 But I am having against of thee [*few].
That thou suffer the woman Jezebel, the one saying herself Prophetess, and she is teaching and deceiving the of My bond-servants to prostitue and to be eating idol-sacrifices.

Kindgdom Bible Studies Revelation Series
JEZEBEL

..........There is one name in the Bible that no parents would think to give to their daughter, and that name is Jezebel. The name Jezebel sweeps across the pages of the Bible. The typical Jezebel of the Old Testament was the daughter of Ethbaal, king of Tyre and Sidon. The name Ethbaal means “with Baal.” Prior to becoming king, Ethbaal was a priest to the goddess Astarte, also known as Ashtoreth or Ishtar.

This was the goddess of sensual love and sex. From her childhood Jezebel was steeped in false religion and government. Jezebel grew up in an atmosphere of position, power, and prestige. She drank deeply of all the arts of political cunning and intrigue............

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

peace4ever

Apr 14, 2006
✟15,776.00
Faith
Non-Denom

As Hebrews 1:2 tells us, God now speaks to us through his Son. And the words of the Son are in scripture. So modern-day prophesy comes from the Word of God. And God's word says, "Do not go beyond what is written." So one must differentiate between prophets and psychics.:) But if one wants to look at trends, the trend in today's society is towards minorities, not the previous majorities.;)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As Hebrews 1:2 tells us, God now speaks to us through his Son. And the words of the Son are in scripture. So modern-day prophesy comes from the Word of God. And God's word says, "Do not go beyond what is written." So one must differentiate between prophets and psychics.:) But if one wants to look at trends, the trend in today's society is towards minorities, not the previous majorities.;)
:angel:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7367166/#post51676697
1 Corin 4:6 No above what is written

1 Corinthians 4:6 These-things yet brethren! I after-figure into myself and Apollos thru/because-of ye. That in us ye may be learning the no above that which hath been Written/gegraptai <1125> (5769), *to think* that no one over the one ye may be being puffed up against the other/different.

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

Textus Rec.) 1 Corinthians 4:6 tauta de adelfoi meteschmatisa eiV emauton kai apollw di umaV ina en hmin maqhte to mh uper o gegraptai fronein ina mh eiV uper tou enoV fusiousqe kata tou eterou

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

Playing Devil's advocate.

Adventists believe in conditional and unconditional prophecy. Some OT prophecies are considered conditional (e.g., the destruction of Nineveh), while the prophecies in Revelation are considered to be unconditional.

An Adventist could easily write this off as conditional, which is how Ellen White's prophetic ministry is typically categorized. They might say that it appears the "spirit of slavery" died or was killed.

I sense a little bit of racial tension with this person.

I don't know about that. Ellen White and the Adventists played a prominent role in the abolitionist movement. Fun fact: Sojourner Truth was an Adventist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Here is a quote that is not often discussed by Adventists. This is from a "talk given by Mrs. E. G. White to the church for the colored in Vicksburg":
"The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, Whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance." You are the children of God. He has adopted you, and He desires you to form characters here that will give you entrance into the heavenly family. Remembering this, you will be able to bear the trials which you meet here. In heaven there will be no color line; for all will be as white as Christ himself. Let us thank God that we can be members of the royal family. {Gospel Herald, March 1, 1901 par. 20}
I had never even seen that quote until last night when someone posted it on another forum. I guess Ellen White must have seen a white "Jesus" in her visions. What a horrible, racist thing to say to black people, that they would someday become white! That would mean that the way God made them was inferior. Of course, she also thought that certain races were the result of amalgamation.

It sounds to me as if the "spirit of slavery" that she mentioned in that other statement still lived in Ellen White, but her prediction that slavery would be revived in the South certainly was not fulfilled.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Slavery is a form of forced labor in which people are considered to be, or treated as, the property of others. Slaves can be held against their will from the time of their capture, purchase or birth, and deprived of the right to leave, to refuse to work, or to receive compensation (such as wages). Evidence of slavery predates written records, and has existed to varying extents, forms and periods in almost all cultures and continents. In some societies, slavery existed as a legal institution or socio-economic system, but today it is formally outlawed in nearly all countries. Nevertheless, the practice continues in various forms around the world.

Freedom from slavery is an internationally recognized human right. Article 4 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states:

No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.

The English word slave derives - through Old French and Medieval Latin - from the medieval word for Slavic, a people of Central and Eastern Europe, many of whom were sold in slavery after conquest by the Holy Roman Empire.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.