Not open for further replies.

palewildwoodflowr

Oct 3, 2006
✟8,107.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You know what cracks me up, is when I watch reality TV shows that follow people to the plastic surgeon for one bodily "flaw" and they walk out of the consultation with red sharpie marks all over their bodies....

:doh:

Plastic surgery has helped many people, but mostly just helped the insecure part with their money!

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:swoon:

The only time I could conceive this procedure necessary is for ppl who had breast cancer.
I have a friend who has bc. She was dx'd stage 2, and opted for a complete removal of both breasts, and of course, new ones. 8 mos later, her cancer had come back, full force, and a stage 4. She has advances much quicker than I. I believe if she had it to do over, she would not have done even the masectomy.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
I think I recall seeing on TV a long time ago a science special in which researchers presented male moths with an artificial version of the female moth which displayed very exaggerated versions of the features which male moths find attractive.
The researchers found that the male moths pursued the artificial females (I think the artificial females were cardboard cutouts) to the complete exclusion of the real (biological) females. Even though this meant that none of them could reproduce and would end up extinct.

That study always come to mind when I read about things such as breast implants.

Interesting Domi...

I hate to be like this, especially in a thread where it is nice to see so many men talk of the beauty of "real" women, but to a certain extent I can understand the outcome of this study.

Perhaps it's just me, but as a woman with a very small chest I can attest to being excluded by men. I have no doubt that men prefer "real" women, but I also suspect that that means women blessed with the model figure, who have no need for surgery because they have it all already anyway.

Again, perhaps this comes from my own insecurities, but it does seem rather peculiar that in the circle of women I know, it's the ones with the larger chests that seem to get all the attention from males, while the ones with smaller ones are always just left to sit there and watch from the outside....

Upvote 0

drpepper101

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,748.00
Faith
Catholic
Interesting Domi...

I hate to be like this, especially in a thread where it is nice to see so many men talk of the beauty of "real" women, but to a certain extent I can understand the outcome of this study.

Perhaps it's just me, but as a women with a very small chest I can attest to being excluded by men. I have no doubt that men prefer "real" women, but I also suspect that that means women blessed with the model figure, who have no need for surgery because they have it all already anyway.

Again, perhaps this comes from my own insecurities, but it does seem rather particular that in the circle of women I know, it's the ones with the larger chests that seem to get all the attention from males, while the ones with smaller ones are always just left to sit there and watch from the outside....

And I could sit here and tell you how in college being an average looking guy that was more interested in school and work then being "cool" left me ignored for the frat guys as well. The problem is we live in a soceity that is wildly ego driven. People simply don't realize any more than being average or sub-average themselves they should expect to date and marry another average person. Quite the opposite, everyone is convinced that they "deserve" a girlfriend or boyfriend that looks like a super model. It's a big part of what is fueling this class of over 30 and single generation.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
And I could sit here and tell you how in college being an average looking guy that was more interested in school and work then being "cool" left me ignored for the frat guys as well. The problem is we live in a soceity that is wildly ego driven. People simply don't realize any more than being average or sub-average themselves they should expect to date and marry another average person. Quite the opposite, everyone is convinced that they "deserve" a girlfriend or boyfriend that looks like a super model. It's a big part of what is fueling this class of over 30 and single generation.

I can understand that... sadly that's a mentality I, myself, have been guilty of from time to time.

I guess it was just bothering me reading through this thread seeing all the laughter when I think there are some very real reasons why people (women in this case) gravitate towards things that may seem ridiculous to others (such as breast implants- and adjustable ones at that), and that in a great many cases we may not be as innocent or seperate from the problem as we may think.

Again, the laugther in this thread bothered me as a woman who perhaps isn't considering implants herself as of now, but has in the past, and can understand why someone would. Sometimes the laugther is apart of building up of the insecurity in of itself. I know from experience, again, within the circle of my friends, these kind of insecurities are rarely taken seriously or treated with the same kind of care and concern that other insecurities receive.

If the full-figured women is feeling insecure about being liked only for her figure than that is treated with great care and concern but on the flip-side, if the women with a figure that "leaves something to be desired" is feeling insecure for not being liked because of her figure than most of the time that gets scoffed at and belittled.

Again, I realise that I am probably just being over sensitive, but I just recently experienced this kind of treatment from a friend and well, I didn't say anything and I guess I'm just letting my frustrations with this build up and come out here....

So for that I apologize, but I also think that what you said drpepper is also a very real mentality that gets ignored far too often (only to the build up of other or perhaps, underlying problems).

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I can understand that... sadly that's a mentality I, myself, have been guilty of from time to time.

I guess it was just bothering me reading through this thread seeing all the laughter when I think there are some very real reasons why people (women in this case) gravitate towards things that may seem ridiculous to others (such as breast implants- and adjustable ones at that), and that in a great many cases we may not be as innocent or seperate from the problem as we may think.

Again, the laugther in this thread bothered me as a woman who perhaps isn't considering implants herself as of now, but has in the past, and can understand why someone would. Sometimes the laugther is apart of building up of the insecurity in of itself. I know from experience, again, within the circle of my friends, these kind of insecurities are rarely taken seriously or treated with the same kind of care and concern that other insecurities receive.

If the full-figured women is feeling insecure about being liked only for her figure than that is treated with great care and concern but on the flip-side, if the women with a figure that "leaves something to be desired" is feeling insecure for not being liked because of her figure than most of the time that gets scoffed at and belittled.

Again, I realise that I am probably just being over sensitive, but I just recently experienced this kind of treatment from a friend and well, I didn't say anything and I guess I'm just letting my frustrations with this build up and come out here....

So for that I apologize, but I also think that what you said drpepper is also a very real mentality that gets ignored far too often (only to the build up of other or perhaps, underlying problems).
Very well said. I am sure that there are women that get the implants for purely vanity's sake, in order to stand out and get noticed. There are other women that get them to remove focus from their breasts; they just want to fit in and be "normal". They don't want to stand out; they would prefer not to be left out.
If a woman feels like a social outcast, and breast implants could help her out, more power to her. This is the 21st century, she can do what she wants. We can go on all day about how shallow men are and how pathetic society is, but that won't help the woman. If she chooses them, the adjustable implants can help her feel better about herself.

Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting Domi...

Perhaps it's just me, but as a woman with a very small chest I can attest to being excluded by men. I have no doubt that men prefer "real" women, but I also suspect that that means women blessed with the model figure, who have no need for surgery because they have it all already anyway.

Again, perhaps this comes from my own insecurities, but it does seem rather peculiar that in the circle of women I know, it's the ones with the larger chests that seem to get all the attention from males, while the ones with smaller ones are always just left to sit there and watch from the outside....

I think I can understand where you are coming from, as I have heard similar things from other women.
Not to get all into it, but my tastes are not in line with the mass media's opinions on beauty, and I have met many men who say the same thing despite their "tastes" being different from my own.
I think that not only is a very limited standard of beauty being sold to us as a whole, but also that people who have different tastes are made to feel uncomfortable about having different tastes, and are therefore much less likely to express their difference.
We should all do the ideal - ignore looks and go for inner beauty, but this is the real, fallen, world and we all tend to have visual preferences of whatever sort. When I am shown Hollywood's idea of a "perfect" woman, I am able to say internally, "All right, they are saying that this woman should be considered most desirable," but the fact is that I have rarely ever even sought to date a woman who looked like that, even when I was very actively dating.

I can't really imagine what it's like for women - we all tend to be much more forgiving of men's looks, weight, etc. It must be horrible at times. But try to remember that the fact that women who will never make it into Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue are genuinely desired by many, many men. And that these men do not tend to advertise their preferences. And they are not just fetishists or stuff like that.

I hope that I have managed to say what I feel without straying outside the bounds of good taste here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

True that.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
I think I can understand where you are coming from, as I have heard similar things from other women.
Not to get all into it, but my tastes are not in line with the mass media's opinions on beauty, and I have met many men who say the same thing despite their "tastes" being different from my own.
I think that not only is a very limited standard of beauty being sold to us as a whole, but also that people who have different tastes are made to feel uncomfortable about having different tastes, and are therefore much less likely to express their difference.
We should all do the ideal - ignore looks and go for inner beauty, but this is the real, fallen, world and we all tend to have visual preferences of whatever sort. When I am shown Hollywood's idea of a "perfect" woman, I am able to say internally, "All right, they are saying that this woman should be considered most desirable," but the fact is that I have rarely ever even sought to date a woman who looked like that, even when I was very actively dating.

I can't really imagine what it's like for women - we all tend to be much more forgiving of men's looks, weight, etc. It must be horrible at times. But try to remember that the fact that women who will never make it into Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue are genuinely desired by many, many men. And that these men do not tend to advertise their preferences. And they are not just fetishists or stuff like that.

I hope that I have managed to say what I feel without straying outside the bounds of good taste here.

I definitley agree that society is being sold a VERY limited standard of beauty. It's quite sad that we don't embrace more of what the human race has to offer.

I really appreciate your insight :hug: I never really gave much thought of how men might be made to feel uncomfortable about their different tastes, though the movie Shallow Hal did give me some thoughts about that.

I also appreciate your concern for what it's like to be a woman. Though after reading your post, I have to say, likewise, that I can't imagine what it would be like to be a man, especially in light of what you say in regards to how many men don't desire the type of woman in Sport Illustrated Swimsuit, but how they don't feel free to express their desires. :sigh:

I also agree that generally speaking we are a bit more forgivable towards men's looks, but, I do think there is more pressure on men in regard to how they behave or act (ie: what drpepper said about being ignored for the frat boys) and that we are getting less "forgiving" towards men and their looks. I definitley see a movement from women toward the "ideal" man that is being sold more and more often ie: the type of man you'll find in the latest edition of FireFighters annual.

All this being said though, the one part of your post that I am not sure I agree with is the part about the ideal being ignoring looks and only concerning ourselves with inner beauty.

While I think that is definitley a noble idea, I have concerns about that. I dunno, attraction is a very strange thing that I am not even going to pretend to understand, but like you said, I think we all have our visual preferences and I am not sure that is a good or healthy thing to ignore. I think, in light of what you said about people not being free to express our differences in preferences, the issue isn't so much the preferences in and of themselves, but is more so the pressures to conform those preferences to an "ideal" we're having rammed down our throats.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense or if it's all just one big contradiction, but I guess when it comes to attraction there are fine lines that aren't always so easy to define.

Granted, there are some aspects of our physical looks that we have no control over (ie: genetics such as height or breast size), but there are also certain things about our looks that are extensions of who we are. How one wears their hair for example, the clothes they wear and even to a certain extent the physical build of our bodies (ie: the atheletic build vs. the not so atheltic) can all express something about who we are.

As such, I certaintly don't want to diminish the role of physical attraction, especially in a physical relationship like marriage, but I also think that there are certain balances that need to exist -making sure we don't "love" because of the body, but also making sure that we don't "love" in spite of the body. For example, while I certaintly wouldn't want to be noticed and "loved" because of the size of my breasts, I also wouldn't want to be "loved" in spite of my breasts either. It's my prayer that should I ever marry, that the man I marry will love me for me- mind, body and soul.

Unfortunatley though, there is this focused attention on the physical that outweighs everything else, to the point that if someone doesn't met the standards of what we are being sold as beauty (ie: if their chest isn't a certain size) then they usually aren't given the opportunity to be known for more than just one aspect of who they are (and in this particular case, that one aspect is one of the things that, unless someone has the money to change, they don't have much control over).

Reactions: Woodsy
Upvote 0

Woodsy

Returned From Afar.
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2003
Pacific NW
✟35,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the unhealthy focus we are starting to on men's looks (which is starting to mirror unhealthy focus on women's looks) is coming from the greater cultural influence which homosexual males are having these days.
"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"? No thanks.
"Metrosexual"? No thanks, I'm happy being Het'rosexual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drpepper101

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,748.00
Faith
Catholic

Haven't we all from time to time, and please don't think I was trying to pick on you. It's just that speaking from my own experience, and I'm sure that of many other guys as well, when I hear women say they can't get dates or get ignored a big part of me is thinking, "what you mean to say is you can't get the dates you want."

I suppose there are as many reasons for getting breast implants as there are women that get them. Perhaps laughing isn't the way to deal with it, it's probably not. There is something though that is just a bit funny about the women of the 21st century standing in from of a mirror with a saline pump adjusting their chest to what they think looks best with their outfit.
The issue I think we experience today is that soceity no longer is setting the standard of beauty for itself, the media is dictating to people what they should be attracted to. Yet the reality remains American men that are constantly exposed to the consumer media's beauty concept find European women that don't wear the make-up or use the 50 million other beauty products out there more attractive. I suppose you might call it mass confusion.

And that's a fair assessment. I don't think anyone means anything by their posts. I personally didn't come into the thread with the effects of the modern media beauty standard on the average looking woman on my mind. Mostly, I was thinking about the mirror thing.

Again, you weren't supposed to be an individual target of that post so I'm sorry if it came off that way. I guess I just have my sister in mind when I hear the "I never get any attention because I don't have double D's" thing. It's not that she never gets any attention, quite the opposite. Lot's of really decent guys ask her out, but she always has some thing or other as to why they don't measure up and/or she's chasing some guy that probably isn't ever going to notice her. So I guess the point in general for anyone is that next time you're getting ready to shoot somebody down maybe you ought to consider things a bit more before you do.

Upvote 0

drpepper101

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,748.00
Faith
Catholic
While I think that is definitley a noble idea, I have concerns about that. I dunno, attraction is a very strange thing that I am not even going to pretend to understand, but like you said, I think we all have our visual preferences and I am not sure that is a good or healthy thing to ignore. I think, in light of what you said about people not being free to express our differences in preferences, the issue isn't so much the preferences in and of themselves, but is more so the pressures to conform those preferences to an "ideal" we're having rammed down our throats.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense or if it's all just one big contradiction, but I guess when it comes to attraction there are fine lines that aren't always so easy to define.

Granted, there are some aspects of our physical looks that we have no control over (ie: genetics such as height or breast size), but there are also certain things about our looks that are extensions of who we are. How one wears their hair for example, the clothes they wear and even to a certain extent the physical build of our bodies (ie: the atheletic build vs. the not so atheltic) can all express something about who we are.

As such, I certaintly don't want to diminish the role of physical attraction, especially in a physical relationship like marriage, but I also think that there are certain balances that need to exist -making sure we don't "love" because of the body, but also making sure that we don't "love" in spite of the body. For example, while I certaintly wouldn't want to be noticed and "loved" because of the size of my breasts, I also wouldn't want to be "loved" in spite of my breasts either. It's my prayer that should I ever marry, that the man I marry will love me for me- mind, body and soul.

Unfortunatley though, there is this focused attention on the physical that outweighs everything else, to the point that if someone doesn't met the standards of what we are being sold as beauty (ie: if their chest isn't a certain size) then they usually aren't given the opportunity to be known for more than just one aspect of who they are (and in this particular case, that one aspect is one of the things that, unless someone has the money to change, they don't have much control over).

I am physically attracted to my girlfriend, there's nothing wrong with that. The problem comes with the idea of the physical being so involved in the process. Should we get married neither of us is going to look in 20 years like we do now. If the body is an equal part in any marriage agreement then no one could ever keep that agreement. No matter how much you work out or eat right, you will age. No one has a body that's as firm at 50 as it was at 30. Everyone's youth and looks go, the things that never change are the essence of the other person. That's who you're going to be with in the long run, and so that's what has to matter a lot more than anything physical.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What do you think about this?
Reconstruction from surgery or trauma is one thing. But for its own sake, it's a mistake. What God gave you is fine, no need to fix what ain't broke and it is like telling God that you can improve on his work.

A guy who likes you 'cause you have a big set is a waste of time, what you want is a guy who likes what you have because they're yours.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

As someone who once had smaller...well, :blush: when I was just a lot smaller all over. [BC, before children] I never had a problem with attracting guys.
I let who I am outshine what I owned externally.

The more someone gets to know another person, the more they find then attractive.

I admit I have always gravitated towards dark haired, dark eyed guys with somewhat darker tanned skin. [Tall dark and handsome] As an example Julian Mcmahhon. [sp] from 'Charmed' and now Nip and Tuck.
And Orlando Blloom...Johnny Depp...the list goes on. ;)

However; my husband is pale [he burns in the sun] , blue eyed and blonde. ^_^
So external looks do not make a relationship.

Your own personality should be what you play up. WHO you are far exceeds what you look like.

Most guys looking for 'that' can be shallow anyway. :wave:

Your best bet is...'Confidence.'

That worked well for me. Although I was quite petite... and have been blessed with a perfect symetry... it is not my doing, but God's. And this is why I am who I am.

Because this is how God made me.

BE who you are...and have fun with who you are. In the end, thats the only thing that lasts anyway. :hug:

PS.....there are [or is a] rare gem in the world who wont care what a woman looks like...but who she is, and that will be the one who has chemistry with you.

Upvote 0

enelya_taralom

Catch the wave.....
Aug 2, 2004
✟10,398.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks for the post Warrior. I have heard it before, but honestly have a hard time believing it. I wasn't always insecure, but after years and years of not being given the light of day eventually one gets the message that they just aren't worth the light of day... confident or not.

Reactions: Skripper
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.