Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adam.....Giant or Dwarf ?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by twinc, Jun 23, 2011.

1. twinc

twinc New Member

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Catholic
    so was Adam a giant or dwarf ? - it seems to me that the sons of God were the sons of Adam who was the son of God[Lk.3:38] - the daughters of men were the daughters of the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve - after the Fall the fixed genetic make up which contained the potential to cover the complete spectrum from giant to dwarf came into play,hence today the variations of humans etc - Adam and Eve being created perfect would have stood dead centre of the genetic spectrum betwixt giant and dwarf imho - any comments - twinc

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. ns7

ns7 Shhh... don't tell anyone I'm here :P

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Wow, you really have a lot of free time to ponder on pointless stuff... lol. Me too! ~ peace.

3. DrBubbaLove

DrBubbaLove Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
  4. twinc

twinc New Member

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Catholic
    go on you gnome - go on now gnome - twinc

5. DrBubbaLove

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    no seriously why not an elf?

6. papakapp

papakapp a waterdrop going over niagra falls

Faith:
    Christian
    Not sure... we have found dwarf dna and we found giant bones. Im not thinking we have ever found elf dna or elf bones so im not sure elves exist anywhere besides fantasy.

7. Sum1sGruj

Sum1sGruj New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    Adam and Eve were of all races and characters. When they began to multiply, the genetic pool diversified and saturated in some people, causing all the races we see today as well as any character/stature differences as well. Giants were not very numbered, as we can tell, and so eventually the DNA started to hit an average as the world became more populated.

8. papakapp

papakapp a waterdrop going over niagra falls

Faith:
    Christian
    I tend to think some people still retain some giant distinctives. For example people who are 5-6 feet tall are, I am told, at a higher risk of having back problems. People with a much larger frame don't have as much back trouble. They may still only be 6'6", but they still have massive vertrbra and massive disks compared to a medium- framed guy.
    I think its possible anyway.

9. DrBubbaLove

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    elves live longer and very secretive - keep looking

10. twinc

twinc New Member

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Catholic
    do you mean like elf for leather or elf for hell or elf for hell for leather - twinc

11. DrBubbaLove

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I mean like some people need elf

12. Sum1sGruj

Sum1sGruj New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Christian
    That's a very good point, actually. One thing that we have learned through history is that the 'average' was actually a bit shorter then the average today. So that gives giants in those times a bit more statuette.
    I've always seen giants in the Bible as not generally being way taller, but being much more massive then the average person. Like a human-heighted dwarf :)

13. Selah123

Selah123 Guest

Numbers 13:33 And there we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.

Deuteronomy 2:20 That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims;

Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

To my knowledge, there were giants before and after the fall. Sin is what dwarfed us, both humans and nature.

14. yunged

yunged Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Can you explain what you mean when you say we have found dwarf DNA? I can't get how it could be possible to find just DNA and know what it belonged to? you would need at least one dwarf as an example of how dwarf DNA is made up....

And sorry but of course no giant bones were found, if they were real then the entire fields of biology and anthropology would have been turned on their heads, it would still be the biggest news in the world today!

15. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Hi! I am a Clinical Trial Assistant schooled in Biochemistry and I can testify that we now know the genetic mutations (in the DNA) which cause Dwarfism and Giantism. Japan's average woman is about 5'1" but one woman there is 8' and well formed (not distorted). Indeed to them she IS a giant. To me if Goliath was about 9" (which is genetically quite possible) and strong like Shaquil O'Neil dressed in full armor with a large helmet compared to a 5' to 5' 4" Jewish teenager, we are seeing that giants do in fact exist. Pigmy lore speaks of giants and why not since Watusis can be 7' with no problem.

So I also believe Adam and Eve had a perfect gemome able to produce all varieties of size and color and shape. They themselves were probably not in the extreme of any of these catagories.

Yeah! The bones of giants thing is a myth (like the Indian photoshop), but we have found a few really long femurs and footprints exceeding 20 inches (now measure your foot), but why not, Shaq wears a size 22 and he is not the biggest man (who is 8'1")!

Paul

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  16. SilenceInMotion

SilenceInMotion New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Contrary to popular art and interpretation, this is realistically what Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, etc. resembled:
    [​IMG]

Mankind did not simply start making kingdoms around the world. After the Eden incident, they were nomadic and started from scratch, with no education or advanced social system.

Though I am a theistic evolutionist, I would still be prepared to say that giants may in fact still be literal in Genesis. In the past hundred years, a sizable amount of society has gotten taller, so it's not a far cry to say that in those times, there were perhaps people who were substantially larger then the otherwise average human relatively frail and short. Since they were nomadic, they remained in a small gene pool, which started to make some tribes resemble 'giants' over others.

17. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis De profundis clamavi et exaudisti me.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    When we consider that Goliath of Gath who was something like 6'9 (as opposed to 9'9 as the later Masoretic Text records) was regarded as a "giant", it's probably a good and reasonable guess that "giants" were just unusually tall people, not of mythical titan proportions. When the average height of a man was something like 5'6, a 6'9 juggernaut is most definitely a giant.

-CryptoLutheran

SilenceInMotion likes this.
  18. Joshua0035

Joshua0035 Newbie

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    The only cause for a giant is to much growth hormone. We would all be as big as the universe if we did not stop growing. Reptiles do not stop growing. Turtles and Alligator get very big over the years. It's very slow and gradual though.

19. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis De profundis clamavi et exaudisti me.

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    Size is also determined by physiology and environment. At a certain limit human anatomy can only support so much, it's why those with gigantism typically have serious health and medical problems. On a world with less gravity, we'd likely all be much taller; on a world with more gravity we'd all likely be much shorter.

-CryptoLutheran

20. SilenceInMotion

SilenceInMotion New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Compare a big n tall, husky man next to a short, skinny framed man.

Tribes tended to stay within their tribes, and so a tribe with larger people are going to produce people the same size, and likewise with tribes with smaller people. The smaller people called them giants to convey their Viking stance to their Napoleon stature.

I think people simply jump the gun a bit when they see the word 'giants' in Scripture, thinking of them as myth-like 12 feet tall gigantors or something like that.