Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh yes, that is a good one. The baby battle between Rachel and Leah where they start to get the servants involved is pretty amusing. Jacob just goes along with it XD what are you even doing, that type of thing is usually restricted to when your wife is infertile, so why are you going off with Leah's servant?

This was part of God's plan for Joseph, to give him legitimacy as the 'firstborn' and entitled to the birthright promise, as He did concerning Isaac.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
This was part of God's plan for Joseph, to give him legitimacy as the 'firstborn' and entitled to the birthright promise, as He did concerning Isaac.
Except he wasn't really the firstborn, because Leah was Jacob's first wife whether he liked it or not. Remember also that Jacob himself is not a firstborn, Esau is, and Jacob tricked Isaac into giving him the blessing that was rightfully Esau's.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is a little more involved than that. James said even the demons believe in God and shudder. When a Christian uses the term believer we mean that person has the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. Without the HS (the spirtual persona of the Trinity) scripture is foolishness.
Then without being a believer already, a person cannot understand the text that is supposed to inspire belief. See the problem?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
From what I see on the internet today that sort of stuff is still going on today. So what is your complaint that Abraham was normal and not the super saint that we all make him out to be? This just goes to show us that God can do a work in every man and every women's life if they are willing to Yield themselves to Him.
I never mentioned Abraham, just that some parts of the bible are comedic in a non cynical way.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Both Rachel and Leah were barren at some point. Using a surrogate was customary.
For when your wife was always barren. In case you didn't know, women have a set amount of time in which they can have children. Using a surrogate for Rachel makes sense, because she was barren until the very end, but using one for Leah makes no sense. Do you really think it was customary to be expected to continuously father children? Leah was the mother of 7 children in total; 6 sons and 1 daughter, with 4 of the sons born consecutively. If she had only daughters, a surrogate might have made some sense, but with 4 sons? No.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm impressed, Sarah!

You did good!

I believe you left Levi out.

Incidentally ... and none of my business ... but when's the big day? :)
I actually did get Levi as the first group of 6 I was sure about. The reason I remembered them is because they were important to the story, and for important characters, I tried to make mnemonics to keep track of them, since a lot of names get tossed around in the bible and at times make it hard to keep track of who is doing what. However, some of the names were so odd I couldn't figure out a way to remember their exact names, so I had nicknames for them that helped me keep track, like making myself read Zebulun as Zulu, which I remember from history class, and Issachar as "the one like Isaac". Naphtali is the one I forgot completely.

As for my big day, not any time soon, for monetary reasons. We have to be prepared to be able to support ourselves beforehand, but his abusive mother keeps getting in the way of him pursuing a higher education :(

There is nothing more painful than watching your beloved be brutally smacked around, unable to defend himself for fear that his own mother will manipulate the story to make herself out to be the victim of abuse. Even though I told him to take pictures of the bruises she left, and I even filmed her attacking him, the police took her side. She's also tried to look me up so she can find me and send people to intimidate me or worse by her own admission. I guess she doesn't like the prospect of her personal punching bag being taken away from her. But here I am, going on a tangent on an off-topic subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most atheist that I have talked to are more determined to life by the laws of God then Christians are. Many Christians think they can do what they want to do and be forgiven for it. There are atheists that do not believe in forgiveness and so they live right not trusting or believing that they are going to get a get out of jail free card. The Bible clearly teaches we will reap what we sow. Paul clearly instructs us not to be deceived. In the hood they say what goes around comes around. The Buddhists talk about Karma. Some people talk about the great equalizer. Before I became a Christian my life was always balanced on a scale. The good always balanced with the bad. It was all pretty much equal. Then when I became a Christian there was more good then bad in my life. So I would not want to go back to having less good in my life.
Ok, but the bible definitely implies that good works alone are not enough (and depending on the passages you read, they don't matter at all).

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok, but the bible definitely implies that good works alone are not enough (and depending on the passages you read, they don't matter at all).
There is nothing we can do to save ourselves. Only through Jesus can we be saved. Everyone has this in common, from every tribe, tongue people and nation. We can only be saved though the Blood of Jesus give for us at Calvary.

9And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. 10"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth." Rev 5

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is nothing we can do to save ourselves. Only through Jesus can we be saved. Everyone has this in common, from every tribe, tongue people and nation. We can only be saved though the Blood of Jesus give for us at Calvary.

9And they sang a new song, saying, "Worthy are You to take the book and to break its seals; for You were slain, and purchased for God with Your blood men from every tribe and tongue and people and nation. 10"You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to our God; and they will reign upon the earth." Rev 5
Then what was the point of your previous response? Obviously, you believe atheists such as myself, no matter how much they live like the bible implies people should, will burn in hell anyways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then what was the point of your previous response? Obviously, you believe atheists such as myself, no matter how much they live like the bible implies people should, will burn in hell anyways.
A am an annihilationist. I would like to be a universalist but the Bible talks a lot about total and utter destruction. I assume that you also are an annihilationist. The only difference is that God has impressed upon me many times that He is a God of absolute Justice and His Scales of Justice are Perfectly Balanced.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except he wasn't really the firstborn, because Leah was Jacob's first wife whether he liked it or not. Remember also that Jacob himself is not a firstborn, Esau is, and Jacob tricked Isaac into giving him the blessing that was rightfully Esau's.

Joseph was the firstborn of the legitimate marriage of Jacob and Rachel and therefore the legitimate heir to the Abrahamic promises. I don't recall any other marriage ceremonies. Jacob simply "went in unto them" to expedite producing a family. Of course Leah would become his wife through common law. Not so the handmaids. Of course all the children were legally his; the children of Israel.

Regardless, Joseph was sanctified for a special purpose, that is clear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Then without being a believer already, a person cannot understand the text that is supposed to inspire belief. See the problem?
No one has said you can't understand the meaning of the words....which, by the way, you seem to do a very good job of.....but there is a deeper meaning to much of scripture than just words.....

Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's doubtful that there will be many 'atheists' at the end of the White Throne Judgment period. :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is nothing more painful than watching your beloved be brutally smacked around, unable to defend himself for fear that his own mother will manipulate the story to make herself out to be the victim of abuse.
I'll submit this to a Higher Authority for action. :pray:

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No one has said you can't understand the meaning of the words....which, by the way, you seem to do a very good job of.....but there is a deeper meaning to much of scripture than just words.....
That's still a problem. Why would a person that doesn't get this supposed deeper meaning believe the more shallow meaning they can derive from the text?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That's still a problem. Why would a person that doesn't get this supposed deeper meaning believe the more shallow meaning they can derive from the text?
Because they can only see the "shallow meaning" as you put it and not grasp the spiritual meaning underneath without the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0