CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are there prayers in Orthodoxy that are somewhat like 'spiritual communion prayers' in Roman Catholicism?

I ask because, since I am living in China, I cannot attend divine liturgy (the only Orthodox church is in Beijing, and I can't travel there often, and I work on Sunday anyway). Thank the Lord, I found a Greek Orthodox live liturgy webcast that actually works with my internet connection (the ones on goarch.org don't work for some reason). During communion (which is going on as I type this actually!) I wanted to say a prayer of 'spiritual communion' since I cannot actually partake of the Eucharist. Are there any established spiritual communion prayers like this in Orthodoxy?

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, since the Eucharist is an eternal mystery, you can probably pray pre communion stuff in anticipation of the next time you take the Eucharist. it's never too early for God.

Ever since I became Orthodox I've always felt 'weird' about praying the pre communion prayers when I know I'm not taking communion for whatever reason. I remember when I was still in the catechumenate my priest would tell me to still pray the prayers, and it felt odd then too. :p

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, but remember that since you are Orthodox, you enter into eternity at the Chalice. so the precommunion prayers you pray next week can affect the Eucharist that you took three months ago or will take next year. time is not an issue.

but yeah, it does feel weird.

Upvote 0

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
yeah, but remember that since you are Orthodox, you enter into eternity at the Chalice. so the precommunion prayers you pray next week can affect the Eucharist that you took three months ago or will take next year. time is not an issue.

but yeah, it does feel weird.

You know, after you saying what you've said, this is the very first time I've ever seen the Eucharist as eternal. I've always viewed it as something you do at the particular time you take the Eucharist and that the Eucharist exists in THAT time and space (if that makes sense). In my years as a Roman Catholic and my past two years as Orthodox, I have never viewed the Eucharist as eternal.

So thanks for introducing me to this concept, Matt. :)

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are Reader Services for those Orthodox that have no access to a church. Basically like a mini liturgy with those portions a reader woud usually do.

Here is a website with the instruction on how to celebrate them. Ironically the St Jonah website has a large amount of liturgical texts translated into chinese.

Orthodox Liturgical Texts and Resources

Chinese Orthodoxy on the Web

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, after you saying what you've said, this is the very first time I've ever seen the Eucharist as eternal. I've always viewed it as something you do at the particular time you take the Eucharist and that the Eucharist exists in THAT time and space (if that makes sense). In my years as a Roman Catholic and my past two years as Orthodox, I have never viewed the Eucharist as eternal.

So thanks for introducing me to this concept, Matt. :)

you should read the anaphora prayers if you can get your hands on a Liturgy book.

Upvote 0

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
you should read the anaphora prayers if you can get your hands on a Liturgy book.

I brought my pocket prayer book with the DL printed in it (it includes the prayers of the priest). It still never really struck me, in all the times I've been to the DL in the last three years (when I first became an inquirer/catechumen) that the Eucharist is eternal, and doesn't just exist in that time and place on Sunday morning when you receive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CJtheSearcher

Aug 13, 2014
Hefei, China
✟15,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
haha, we all been there. certain things in the service you hear 1000 times before you notice something new

This was a weekly thing for me when I was still at home, man. Something new from the Liturgy would jump out at me every Sunday...which I find so cool :)

Upvote 0