✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Holly3278 said:

Simply because a program teaches all methods of birth control (including abstinence) doesn't mean it's some diabolical scheme. The ACLU is trying to pressure these school districts to actually educate their students about all the available methods. Knowing teenage hormones, as I'd expect you do, it's very difficult to keep teenagers from doing things that they probably shouldn't do. Abstinence-only doesn't work, because it defies human nature.

Now, of course my complete sex-ed class in the Soviet Republic of Washington reiterated constantly that abstinence was the only sure method of preventing STDs and pregnancy. But they also taught us about contraceptives in case we weren't going to live up to that.

Abstinence-only is a great way to go, but not every teenager can do that. You can't leave them in the dark about protecting themselves just because you don't believe in contraceptives. That's like handing a kid and his friend a loaded gun, and walking out of the room, wondering what they'll do with it.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Law of Loud said:
Simply because a program teaches all methods of birth control (including abstinence) doesn't mean it's some diabolical scheme. The ACLU is trying to pressure these school districts to actually educate their students about all the available methods. Knowing teenage hormones, as I'd expect you do, it's very difficult to keep teenagers from doing things that they probably shouldn't do. Abstinence-only doesn't work, because it defies human nature.

Now, of course my complete sex-ed class in the Soviet Republic of Washington reiterated constantly that abstinence was the only sure method of preventing STDs and pregnancy. But they also taught us about contraceptives in case we weren't going to live up to that.

Abstinence-only is a great way to go, but not every teenager can do that. You can't leave them in the dark about protecting themselves just because you don't believe in contraceptives. That's like handing a kid and his friend a loaded gun, and walking out of the room, wondering what they'll do with it.

First of all, I never said that "comprehensive" sex education was a "diabolical scheme". Second of all, abstinence-only education does work. See the article I just posted in a separate thread in this forum.

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Holly3278 said:
First of all, I never said that "comprehensive" sex education was a "diabolical scheme".

No? Then what do you think that "comprehensive" sex education is?

Second of all, abstinence-only education does work. See the article I just posted in a separate thread in this forum.

And it has been refuted as good evidence of how not to conduct a survey. Middle-schoolers for good grief. That's not the time frame that's the real problem - the real problem is high school, considering the state of hormones, and the nature of life.

For that matter, it'd be interesting to see how effective a "comprehensive" sex education program would be in that same environment.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Many abstinence programs contain false or misleading information, discriminate against homosexual youth and promote religion, ACLU leaders said, citing a December report issued by Rep. Henry A. Waxman, California Democrat.

The sad thing is that if this is true, many supporters of abstinence only education will simply say 'we don't care'.

Upvote 0

Nightson

Take two snuggles and call me in the morning
Jul 11, 2005
California
✟5,839.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
notto said:
Many abstinence programs contain false or misleading information, discriminate against homosexual youth and promote religion, ACLU leaders said, citing a December report issued by Rep. Henry A. Waxman, California Democrat.

The sad thing is that if this is true, many supporters of abstinence only education will simply say 'we don't care'.

The abstinence only program i went through certainly had all of that, but to be fair, I do go to a Private Chistian school. Nonetheless, abstinence only education doesn't help be in the least, it just increases my risks of something bad happening. I've tried to educate myself as best I can, but who knows if I've missed something. People telling me over and over again not to have sex, didn't make me not want to have sex.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

ClaireZ

Senior Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
USA
✟12,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that any program that lies to the students, whether it be a sex-ed program or a drug program is a bad program.

We should make all the information available to our students so that they can best decide what risks they are willing to undertake in thier lives and what the possible outcome will be, and how to mitigate the damages.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BeamMeUpScotty said:
Just out of curiosity, and I follow up with the relevance of my question after you answer, do you support intelligent design being taught in science classrooms, and why or why not?

I don't even see how this is related to the article at hand but I am opposed to intelligent design beign taught in a science classroom because it is not science.

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
I don't even see how this is related to the article at hand but I am opposed to intelligent design beign taught in a science classroom because it is not science.

Well, we agree on this. The reason I asked is that many who support id being taught as an "alternative" to evolution in science classrooms oppose "alternatives" such as contraception as an option to abstinence only, or homosexuality being taught as a viable lifestyle. Basically, it's a hypocritical stance to take. I'm glad to see you at least recognize id is not science.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
BeamMeUpScotty said:
Well, we agree on this. The reason I asked is that many who support id being taught as an "alternative" to evolution in science classrooms oppose "alternatives" such as contraception as an option to abstinence only, or homosexuality being taught as a viable lifestyle. Basically, it's a hypocritical stance to take. I'm glad to see you at least recognize id is not science.

Well thank you! As you see, I'm not one of the "many". ;) :p

Upvote 0

BeamMeUpScotty

Senior Veteran
Dec 15, 2004
Kanagawa, Japan
✟18,437.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
Well thank you! As you see, I'm not one of the "many". ;) :p

You're welcome.

I'm just curious, you say "abortion is always wrong" (which I'm not going to argue cases such as rape/incest), but you don't support teaching sexually mature people, yet often emotionally, psychologically, and intellectually immature people, how to prevent pregnancies if they choose to be sexually active. I have taught in high schools, and believe me, there are sexually active kids who stand a better chance of not having unwanted pregnancies if the schools teach them about how to properly use contraception.
Would you be willing to adopt one of the children produced by a teenage pregnacy? If not how do you think society should deal with them?

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
Holly3278 said:
Once again, I oppose the ACLU. :p
According to the article, the ACLU opposes these programs because many of them "contain false or misleading information, discriminate against homosexual youth and promote religion." Why would anyone support those things?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.