✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05138/506156.stm

The Silver Ring Thing, a faith-based three hour abstinence education experience, has received $1 million in funding from the federal government.

The purpose of the Silver Ring Thing is to encourage teens to pledge abstinence and wear a silver ring engraved with a Bible verse.

During presentations, organizers quote Bible passages on stage; students who wear the ring make avow to remain abstinent, which the group calls a covenant before God; for follow-up, the students are encouraged to get the Silver Ring Thing Bible, which is full of Christian messages, and there's no secular equivalent, said Feige.

Adrienne Verrilli, director of communications with the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, a group that promotes responsible sexual decision, says Silver Ring Thing does what it does in the guise of teen pregnancy prevention, but really is "promoting its version of Christianity."

While I believe it is good to encourage abstinence, I agree with the ACLU on this one. It should be church-sponsored, not government sponsored.

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
burrow_owl said:
Try to be more current. The OP article was from May - last month the federal gvt. suspended funding for SRT.

Yep But I don't understand why Absitnance education cannot be taught along side other means of sex education?

-cw

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.