Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
Hortysir said:
my niece just returned from Abu Gahib. She is a dental assisitant attached to the only Airborne medical battallion in the military.
I post here to let you know the flip-side to the story....
These 'mistreated' prisoners also recieve THE SAME medical and dental care our soldiers recieve.
Yes, prison is a place for punishment.
But there are also guidelines we must follow that are spelled out in the Geneva Convention.
Those guilty will be punished. Most have already been dealt with.
As for why the cover up....PR. Pure and simple.
If one of my cooks get arrested for selling heroin, I wouldn't want my customer base aware of this.
GodBless

the problem with your analogy is the u.s. public is not the customer. we own the restaurant.
also, and i am sure you know this, a prisoner of war is not considered like a prisoner in our jails. they are to be warehoused until the conflict concludes. we can interogate the prisoners, but the point of prisoner of war camps is detainment, not punishment.
why does this matter? do we like the terrorists more than our troops? this is silly. since we find their behavior reprehensible, we are desperately trying to be different from them.
the desires of the military have often been in conflict with the desires of the civilian authorities, and what the military so often forgets is they serve at the pleasure of the civilians. many of the most embarassing episodes in our countrys history have come about because of this kind of secret entitlement that is supposed to exist. or the sense that the military is not accountable to the rest of us. patton thought this, and right or wrong, truman demonstrated that his hubris had come to an end.
never forget, the marching orders of the terrorists are "whatever means necessary". how will we show the world the difference between their world view and ours?
we teach our children the maxim "WWJD?" grown ups need to apply the same standard if they are to claim christianity as their own. this does not mean would He support the idea of what we are doing. would he actually undertake the activities that we are willing to perform? would He put Himself in the pictures we saw as a primary participant? if you can honestly say yes, then at least your argument is consistent and i can respect that. i simply can not see Him holding a leash attached to a human, etc., etc.
but that's just me.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
For once, I agree with the ACLU on this one. The government should've stopped this when they had the chance. Knowing he information, the higher-ups knew this was going on, but didn't wanna "scare the public".

They've been scared enough with 9/11, they could get through anything, c'mon.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
cannedspam said:
Underwear on the head of prisoners held by US vs Islamofascits beheading Americans, Iraqis, Nepalis? Moral equalvalence? I disagree:preach:

There is no excuse for what happened there. It may not have been the type torture that certain person with no morality believe they deserve, but it was against the Geneva Convention, and that is why there is going to be a trial. Justifing the behavior by Christians is beyond me.

I used to be a Christian, and I would never have justified what those soldiers did. Not only that I am a Veteran married to an army officer and know better how soldiers should treat POW's.

Upvote 0

Hortysir

Mar 18, 2005
Centrill, Flooriduh
Visit site
✟771.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Harpuia said:
For once, I agree with the ACLU on this one. The government should've stopped this when they had the chance. Knowing he information, the higher-ups knew this was going on, but didn't wanna "scare the public".

They've been scared enough with 9/11, they could get through anything, c'mon.
but isn't it over-kill to go after the government for the actions of a few?

Upvote 0

Hortysir

Mar 18, 2005
Centrill, Flooriduh
Visit site
✟771.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lanakila said:
There is no excuse for what happened there. It may not have been the type torture that certain person with no morality believe they deserve, but it was against the Geneva Convention, and that is why there is going to be a trial. Justifing the behavior by Christians is beyond me.

I used to be a Christian, and I would never have justified what those soldiers did. Not only that I am a Veteran married to an army officer and know better how soldiers should treat POW's.
absolutely correct.
I repeat my previous post's question....

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
sidiousmax225 said:
I want to see how far that behavior went. Government officials who have seen all of the photos said that there were far, far worse ones than what had been released so far.

First don't blame the government or the US Armed Forces!
But blame those individuals an that. An individual but not as an whole.

Upvote 0

sidiousmax225

Jul 14, 2005
✟1,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
JPPT1974 said:
First don't blame the government or the US Armed Forces!
But blame those individuals an that. An individual but not as an whole.

Erm, I'm not blaming the government or armed forces? I said that Government officials who saw all the photos said that there were far worse.

Upvote 0