Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This statement blew my mind, my head exploded and strawberry jam shoot out of my ears

“Labeling him ‘David the Rapist’ is truly an unjust character assassination of what this individual has accomplished in the past,” Rooke said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article97320267.html#storylink=cpy

wow...

The justice system is not fair. If you look a certain way and have money and a good lawyer and say all the right things to the right judge and you will get a slap on the wrist...

Here is the problem with sentences like this.

Had it have been my sister, I take matters into my own hands and meet up with this guy in a dark alley somewhere with me wearing a mask and totting a baseball bat.

that is the ramifications of a judicial system that is not just, the populace will start taking matters into their own hands.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a very long history of promising young athletes being protected from the consequences of sexual misconduct by their parents, their coaches, their teams, their communities, their schools and even by the courts. Shrugging it off as "boys will be boys" is wrong but at the same time I am not sure that penitentiary would be the right punishment.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
“He can now look forward to a productive life without being burdened with the stigma of having to register as a sex offender,” said attorney Thomas Rooke

“We all made mistakes when we were 17, 18, 19 years old, and we shouldn’t be branded for life with a felony offense and branded a sex offender,” Rooke said. “Putting this kid in jail for two years would have destroyed this kid’s life.”

These statements strike me as some of the most appalling I've read.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There is a very long history of promising young athletes being protected from the consequences of sexual misconduct by their parents, their coaches, their teams, their communities, their schools and even by the courts. Shrugging it off as "boys will be boys" is wrong but at the same time I am not sure that penitentiary would be the right punishment.

I am extremely lenient in regards to juvenile crimes with the caveat being that no one gets hurt.

You have a small amount of drugs on you, you steal something, you race and wreck your car, you urinate in public and get caught, etc. Sure, I'm all for giving you a slap on the wrist and "boys will be boys..."...

But not rape. Not hurting someone. what if he had gotten a girl pregnant? Now she has to decide to carry her rapist's baby to term or have an abortion and that is no choice I would ever want to force on someone.

Sorry, there has to be a line drawn somewhere and I'm more than comfortable drawing that line at rape.

And here is the reason why. Had he done that to my little sister, I would break bones on him and possibly kill him. You don't get to shrug off raping my sister with a "Oppsy, sorry, my bad..." apology.

I think we sometimes make the mistake of understanding the true purpose of law. Sure, Justice is a nice fringe benefit, but Justice is not the primary purpose of law. It is a nice secondary purpose. But the primary purpose of law is "Order".

SO the question becomes, what happens to social stability if raping females carry no significant penalty? How is the populace going to respond to females getting raped?

And as for someone who was raised in the South, sorry, we take honor very seriously and are very protective of our loved ones. And if someone gets away with the crime of rape with a slap on the wrist, you better believe there will be X% of folks who decide to take matters into their own hands... And that would undermine the entire system as a whole.

So that is why he needs to go to jail. Him not going to jail threatens the entire system.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have no sympathy for rapists...they need to be dealt with...and harshly.

If I caught him in the act, I would love to take his picture with my special camera
7875a388c14be142a1c2f50d64c6c6e6.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These statements strike me as some of the most appalling I've read.
Yes this irritates me big time.
“We all made mistakes when we were 17, 18, 19 years old, and we shouldn’t be branded for life with a felony offense and branded a sex offender,” Rooke said. “Putting this kid in jail for two years would have destroyed this kid’s life.”
I don't recall doing any raping or illegal stuff at these ages. By 17 years old he defiantly should no better.
He can now look forward to a productive life without being burdened with the stigma of having to register as a sex offender,” said attorney Thomas Rooke
No, he will more than likely continue to rape. But hide his tracks better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It certainly was not rape --- but it was sexual misconduct.

What's the difference? Please be specific. He had sex with many women. In some cases he forced himself on the women. You think that behavior doesn't constitute rape? The victims do.

Reactions: Uncle Siggy
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention former presidents that got away with rape completely with full support of the wifey too.

Well, if that concerns you so much, you should start your own thread and stop derailing this one. Neither Bill or Hillary Clinton have anything to do with the OP.

Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article97320267.html

Oh my gosh, why do we have such idiotic judges running this system. They are a disgrace to the name of law, and should be terminated permanently. These kinds of people shouldn't be enabled, but brought to justice.

So, it's open season on women because rapists are entitled to have a future outside of prison. Imagine the thrill the campus will have knowing a convicted rapist who is a sexual predator of women is enrolled there.
I'd like to see the friends of his victim bring signs on his first day and walk around the campus alerting everyone of the new predator on the property. Have his picture on the sign. His name. CONVICTED RAPIST WOMEN BE AWARE! Emblazoned beneath the mugshot.

Reactions: jazzflower92
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is how the left works. Fox news represents all of the GOP when it comes to a sex scandal. But that isn't going to fly with twitchy fans. http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/08/...-rices-fnc-sex-scandal-moralizing-falls-flat/
We don't put someone in jail for accusations. There needs to be a trial.
In this case there was a trial and a conviction.

Maybe there should be a panel of judges that review the decisions of the judge in cases like this. If the judges determine that the sentence was inappropriate, the judge who handed it down should serve the sentence that they didn't give the offender. That would make them think twice about a slap on the wrist for a violate crime.
Anyone who brings a knowingly false accusation against another, if they are proven at trial to have given a false accusation, testimony, or witness, they should have to serve the penalty that the falsely accused would have had to serve if convicted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.