Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Um, you may really want to enlighten yourself with what Democrats were doing in the 19th century, and what party Lincoln was affiliated with. Once you do that, look at Jim Crow laws, the segregated South, the Warren Court, Eisenhower and desegregation.

Do you dispute that the Democratic Party has historically been the more welcoming party of Catholic immigrants?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Do you dispute that the Democratic Party has historically been the more welcoming party of Catholic immigrants?

Do you dispute that this country saw racial segregation not because of democrats?

I'm going to pull off a quasi-Nazi Rule.

I'll present to you a group of democrats from the 1920s and you tell me:

kkk-capitol2.jpg

What was so good and proper about democrats when it saw the likes of people like these festering their ranks and spreading the most anti-Catholicism rhetoric of that time?

The real big purpose back of my film was to revolutionize northern sentiment by a presentation of history that would transform every man in my audience into a good Democrat!
That's D.W. Griffith's quote about his little movie: The Birth of a Nation.

I do find it funny that I replied to your post but only that little snippet caught your eye; as if the democratic party being "friendly" towards Catholics is enough justification to gloss over their little internal squabbles and treatment of people who had a skin of a darker tone.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Post 42, you implied the heck out of it.

In what way: that the democratic party wasn't always peaches and cream and that their supposed "backing of" Catholics nullifies what else they were prone back then?

You would see where I was coming from had you actually scrutinized those earlier posts, especially this little snippet I made:

I actually find it silly that Catholics fall so in lockstep for either party.

Just because Democrats supposedly supported Catholics and there have been Catholic democrats isn't a reason why every Catholic should line-up to support democrats.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
In what way: that the democratic party wasn't always peaches and cream and that their supposed "backing of" Catholics nullifies what else they were prone back then?

You would see where I was coming from had you actually scrutinized those earlier posts, especially this little snippet I made:

Just because Democrats supposedly supported Catholics and there have been Catholic democrats isn't a reason why every Catholic should line-up to support democrats.
Dude, you were really OBVIOUSLY trying to make a person with an African American avatar feel guilty about any allegiance to the Democrats by making the Democrats look like Klansmen. We all saw you do it. It was pretty underhanded, and really not subtle.

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Dude, you were really OBVIOUSLY trying to make a person with an African American avatar feel guilty about any allegiance to the Democrats by making the Democrats look like Klansmen. We all saw you do it. It was pretty underhanded, and really not subtle.

Well, with whom did the Klan affiliate with? Again, who broke away from the Union? Implemented a segregated South?

If someone is going to bring-up a party and it's history and dangle our faith as to why we should join support, I'll be more than willing to provide evidence of that same party and other history attached to them that said user DID NOT provide.

I don't care if he's a democrat, but I will call him out for questioning other Catholics for not lining up in support of the democratic party.

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, with whom did the Klan affiliate with? Again, who broke away from the Union? Implemented a segregated South?

If someone is going to bring-up a party and it's history and dangle our faith as to why we should join support, I'll be more than willing to provide evidence of that same party and other history attached to them that said user DID NOT provide.

I don't care if he's a democrat, but I will call him out for questioning other Catholics for not lining up in support of the democratic party.
Whatever Dude. It was a low blow and uncalled for. Clearly not about furthering the discussion, but making Yoder feel bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Whatever Dude. It was a low blow and uncalled for. Clearly not about furthering the discussion, but making Yoder feel bad.

How is it a low blow? He even brought up Kennedy as a reason to align yourself with the democrats and I offered my input on him as well.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What party did Martin Luther King affiliate with? Republican.
Which part fought for slavery to be abolished? Republicans.
Which party wanted desegregation/equality? Republicans.
The list goes on and Knight is correct to whom the KKK was affiliated with.

Just saying...

History is proof.

http://suwanneegop.com/NBRA Civil Rights Newsletter-2.pdf

:thumbsup:
How is it a low blow? He even brought up Kennedy as a reason to align yourself with the democrats and I offered my input on him as well.
Kennedy was more of a conservative.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
After they took control of Congress in 1892, Democrats
passed the Repeal Act of 1894 that overturned civil
rights legislation passed by the Republicans, including
the Civil Rights Acts of 1866 and 1875. It took
Republicans nearly six decades to finally achieve
passage of civil rights legislation in the 1950’s and
1960’s.
It defies logic for Democrats today to claim that the racist Democrats suddenly joined
the Republican Party after Republicans finally won the civil rights battle against the
racist Democrats. In fact, the racist Democrats declared that they would rather vote
for a “yellow dog” than vote for a Republican, because the Republican Party was
known as the party for blacks.

http://suwanneegop.com/NBRA Civil Rights Newsletter-2.pdf

And today - the false face of keeping enslaved to a system that dictates how much they can have - all under the guise of helping them - severely limits their freedom to succeed.
And the same democrat party - which fought years to keep them from freedom - has them [cunningly i add] kill themselves off with abortions and birth control.
Yah, it's all that.

But folks cant see it.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These days, do you think the majority of Klan members identify as Democrats or Republicans?

(fingers in ears) nanananananananananacan't hear you, doesn't matter, nananananananananana!

You know better than to make reasoned arguments with unreasonable people. Still, it is fun to watch them ignore, squirm or lie in response... Carry on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obama did nothing to lower abortion - everyone is so stressed out on how to pay the bills - the romance is gone.

So you're crediting Obama with a reduction in abortion and unwanted pregnancies, yes? Certainly a moderate reduction in national wealth is wroth it if it saves the lives of the unborn, right?

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
These days, do you think the majority of Klan members identify as Democrats or Republicans?

Some have definitely shifted over to republicans; David Duke comes to mind. Others, however, still align themselves to democrats. Though with Obama in office, I wouldn't be surprised if that number dwindled down further.

Also, I'm not the one who dangled one side of a party and questioned fellow Catholics for aligning themselves to another party.

(fingers in ears) nanananananananananacan't hear you, doesn't matter, nananananananananana!

You know better than to make reasoned arguments with unreasonable people. Still, it is fun to watch them ignore, squirm or lie in response... Carry on.

Where did I lie?

Actually, since this all started because said user said democrats were more embracing of Catholics and immigrants who were coming into this country, that picture I provided is actually proof of that not being the case.

I mentioned this and provided that same picture to you, Mike, before. The Klan grew to prominence in 3 different periods: first, when slaves were set free after the Civil War and saw the birth of the Klan, and the third period, when places were desegregating and the Civil Rights movement went into effect in the 1960s.

The second phase?

They still had their crosshairs on African-Americans, but they were more concerned with arriving immigrants from Southern and Eastern Europe, where a majority of those immigrants were either Jewish or Catholic.

Upvote 0