Discussion Abba Father .. vs daddy or papa ???

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Aramaic point of order: "Abba" did not mean "daddy" or "papa" in Jesus' era.

Those words were "baba" and "papi" respectively.

"Abba" was used by people of all ages in all contexts, informal to formal. And in Galilean "Abba" was the vocative form simply used in direct address.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter. If it is your worship, part of your relationship I sincerely think God is not uptight.
ahh yes i agree ,dont worry .. but it wasn't in reference to that, but the "public use of the term that has arisen of late ,, where people are speaking from the pulpit and referring to him in english as papa or daddy god .. the aramaic term abba ...carried with it both the endearment and respectful reverence as the english term "father " there fore Father can be considered the acceptable form of the word .. and oddly enough, always has been for the better part of a couple of thousand years .. until recently .and the change has accompanied many other oddities in moves away from repentance ,reverence ,holiness ...

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was watching this woman talk about being in Israel watching the little Children running around saying "ABBA" so many times. So touch her heart about her real ABBA! So then to read in the word.. ABBA Father.. it means Daddy. And really? I am 55 yet to GOD.. a I am 100% a BABY.

There was a moment in my life away from my two boys and I raised them since they were babies. What a mother has .. I got to have. So being away from them.. and might have to be for .. yeah.. wow never new that kind of .. the pain.. was so great..you know? Man I NEVER ever get enough of them.. and now there 22 and 25. So now AMP that up as far as you can and think and dream still cant even touch how much your heavenly Father is just waiting to see you. Hold you. Peter once said.. Lord if its really you bid me come. Think.. what as Jesus to say? Lie? He cant.. so when you see Him tell Him.. I am NEVER letting go.. you will not hear a word. Hold on

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i still understand the "sentiment behind the use of the term "Abba father" but in the NT it is referred as something which the Holy Spirit causes us to cry out .not an intellectual use but a matter of the Spirit .

and i can understand a person living a holy life in innocent of wrong doing , like a toddler with their "daddy" - but grown adults who use the term one sunday morning in church and sit in front of their favorite world tv show that evening imbibing all manner of worldly sin nature as if he is not also the most high HOLY and righteous one true living God is just troubling.

Upvote 0