Windlord

Jan 13, 2006
Indiana
✟992.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've come across a rather odd trend in some Protestants, at least, the ones I work with. I don't know who has been teaching them this, but several of them I've talked to seem to be under the impression that we don't think that Jesus Christ rose from the dead :confused: I was a Protestant myself before converting and I have never heard of this before. :doh:

Peace,

Windlord.

salt_of_the_earth

Mar 7, 2006
✟8,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Liberals
Protestants definitely DO NOT believe that about Catholics. Many claim that Catholics are not Christians but most certainly don't believe that. Sure, they misunderstand the Catholic faith, because that is what they are taught in their own churches, but I think most Protestants are more intelligent than that. You must have met some really fundamentalist Protestants.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I've come across a rather odd trend in some Protestants, at least, the ones I work with. I don't know who has been teaching them this, but several of them I've talked to seem to be under the impression that we don't think that Jesus Christ rose from the dead :confused: I was a Protestant myself before converting and I have never heard of this before. :doh:

Peace,

Windlord.

Maybe it's because we keep the corpus on our crosses?:scratch:

Upvote 0

salt_of_the_earth

Mar 7, 2006
✟8,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Liberals
I've been confronted with something similar to this, which is the idea that Catholics miss the resurrection because they are obsessed with Christ's suffering (evidenced, supposedly, by our use of crucifixes).
Yes I've heard that a couple times... but that is different from saying that Catholics don't believe in the Resurrection.

Usually they say Catholics focus TOO much on the suffering.

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican

Peace,

Windlord.
A general comment ....most people have a "flawed" opinon about their brother Christians and assumptions about their own "faith"

Much of the confusion out there is all the trumped up garbage about the Gnostic Gospels , the Davinci Code , and other 4th century heresies ...

Many people "assume" that the History , Discovery, or National Geographic channels are reporting the "truth", when it is "sensational fiction" ...

When was the last time you meditated upon :
Ephesians 4.12 ... the body , laity , is to do the work ..
Luke 9.1, 10.9 ; Mark 16.16-20 the authority of faith
Matthew 25.32-42 the corporal works of mercy ...

The Gospel is the "milk" of the word ... we , who are baptised in water and of spirit ( John 3.3-8) should graduate to the Epistles ( the meat ) and go and do some thing for / and in the body of Christ , with our faith

Upvote 0

salt_of_the_earth

Mar 7, 2006
✟8,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Liberals
A general comment ....most people have a "flawed" opinon about their brother Christians and assumptions about their own "faith"

Much of the confusion out there is all the trumped up garbage about the Gnostic Gospels , the Davinci Code , and other 4th century heresies ...

Many people "assume" that the History , Discovery, or National Geographic channels are reporting the "truth", when it is "sensational fiction" ...

When was the last time you meditated upon :
Ephesians 4.12 ... the body , laity , is to do the work ..
Luke 9.1, 10.9 ; Mark 16.16-20 the authority of faith
Matthew 25.32-42 the corporal works of mercy ...

The Gospel is the "milk" of the word ... we , who are baptised in water and of spirit ( John 3.3-8) should graduate to the Epistles ( the meat ) and go and do some thing for / and in the body of Christ , with our faith
Amen.... There is misunderstanding everywhere. The amount of misunderstand I've heard my Catholics friends have of Protestants is unbelievable, and vice versa...

The other week it was soooooooo embarassing...

my Catholic friend said to my Pentecostal friend, why is the PRIEST at your church married and why aren't you fasting during lent??

My Pentecostal friend almost had a FIT... so I tried to explain to my Catholic friend that A... they don't call them priest, and they CAN marry and Pentecostals don't observe Letan fast.... But... she was still confused... LoL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We just had someone ask us this very thing over in TAW. What it sounds like is the poster heard that there is a church (Church of the Holy Sepulchre) built on Jesus' tomb. The poster thought we teach that He is still in the tomb and church built on the tomb to mark it.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Woah thats weird. I never heard anyone say that. Especially since a catholic did make the passion....hmmm
Excuse me - I'm not really understanding what you meant here:scratch::scratch:

care to explain ?

Upvote 0

annaapple

Nov 19, 2005
✟15,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing the film by Mel Gibson, The Passion of the Christ. Hope y'all don't mind me posting here but I am married to a Catholic and we go to Mass and all so I do feel very close to the Church. And as someone with feet in both camps (as it were) I can tell you that there is A LOT of mutual confusion. Also that old C16th Protestant chestnut about Catholics praying to statues (i.e. idolatry) I still hear from time to time. Obviously I correct them!

Guess we should all (Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox) communicate a little more often and a little more clearly. You can't build a bridge when you stay at one end of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Peace,

Windlord.
This stuff is so hyped in protestant circles, you could say just about anything against Catholics and they will accept it as Gospel truth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.