[PERMANENTLY CLOSED] tribe which lives on an island in the Bay of Bengal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I don't blame them for wanting to keep outsiders out and away from them. I hope the Indigenous people of that island will be able to discourage any outside influences and interferences intruding in on them, such as religious people going in there and trying to convert them. I hope outsiders will leave them alone, let them live their own lives, but knowing history, that won't happen. Outsiders will probably see free land and resources for the taking, not to mention seeing souls that are in dire need of being saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Life Is Easy When You're Purple
Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good for them. Prayerfully people will leave them alone even after this report hits the media.

3e937cd0922feb4be43a5a323fe56e87.600x.jpg

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure that the U.S. and other western nations already have it planned to promote abortion and homosexuality there.
Im sure they already do that.
If you live in a place where the only law is your conscience [per the pagans of the ancients] - then the law of God [in their hearts] reach some but not all.
This is why they will kill anyone who approaches.
If you see the site - they destroyed a ship [who may have been off course].
Not saying all dont follow an inner conscience - but when left to their own devices - life doesnt mean as much to most.

This is proof that it is thru faith in the Lord that we [in civilized nations] make an effort [or should] to have laws that put forth human dignity by outlawing the practice of murder and so forth. The world was christianized and so every country has been given a conscience to avoid harm to others.
That doesnt speak for all - for some never formed a good conscience - but the overall laws have been put into place world wide via Judeo-Christian formulas.

However; the fact we are disallowing those laws [slowly] we see more going backwards sliding than progress towards a utopia... [for lack of a better word].
If all said and believed in the Our Father - our world could be so much better.

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Then again, those who have never heard of Jesus are not doomed by Jesus. Their innocence prevents them from being condemned, so if this tribe remains isolated they're far better off than to be corrupted by, at the very least, western standards.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Then again, those who have never heard of Jesus are not doomed by Jesus. Their innocence prevents them from being condemned, so if this tribe remains isolated they're far better off than to be corrupted by, at the very least, western standards.
No they are not doomed - the ones who follow God's laws in their hearts.
Those who abstain from murder, hate and selfish ways. Those who are capable of giving to others.
This isnt common... and not all will be saved by the laws written on their hearts for lack of knowledge.
God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy on. But it would seem - as the Bible does say - if we practice mercy - we receive mercy.
We of course do not know how God works precisely in these matters... but i imagine without laws in place - many ppl suffer inside their world.
IF they tend to be cannibals - or practice offering up their children to gods - or goodness knows [rape or killing] can be standard for them.

Let's look at native americans - for a minute. They were kind. They had a strong belief of righteousness within their own. They didnt kill anyone who came to the land... initially they were peaceful ppl. Maybe not in times of war when other tribes may have done warfare.. but i have always been in the belief that God was strong among the natives - by the initial meeting alone we know they believed all life was important.
So we can know they for the most part - had the strong grace of God in their hearts. They also knew a greater being existed.

These ppl however; dont have that same spirit... if you observe their demeanor vs the natives in meeting strangers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

For once, you and I agree.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Also - i want to add - if you mean the corruption of gay marriage and abortion and so forth - i would agree. But i wouldnt say they dont already practice those now - if their barbaric demeanor to strangers is any indication.

Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No they are not doomed - the ones who follow God's laws in their hearts.
Those who abstain from murder, hate and selfish ways. Those who are capable of giving to others.
This isnt common... and not all will be saved by the laws written on their hearts for lack of knowledge.
God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy on. But it would seem - as the Bible does say - if we practice mercy - we receive mercy.
We of course do not know how God works precisely in these matters... but i imagine without laws in place - many ppl suffer inside their world.
IF they tend to be cannibals - or practice offering up their children to gods - or goodness knows [rape or killing] can be standard for them.

Let's look at your people - for a minute. They were kind. They had a strong belief of righteousness within their own. They didnt kill anyone who came to the land... initially they were peaceful ppl. Maybe not in times of war when other tribes may have done warfare.. but i have always been in the belief that God was strong among the natives - by the initial meeting alone we know they believed all life was important.
So we can know they for the most part - had the strong grace of God in their hearts. They also knew a greater being existed.

These ppl however; dont have that same spirit... if you observe their demeanor vs the natives in meeting strangers.

My people, as you put it, because half my heritage is tribal, knew of the spirit in all things as sacred. That's what the whites call God.
As to their demeanor among rival tribes, that's not what this thread is about so with respect, I'll abstain from going into that discussion.

I also do not think that I can judge these native peoples on this island simply due to what is perceived by those who observe from a distance.
Hypothetical, such as what happened to that sunken shell of a ship, does not serve truth of what happened. Nor honor the souls lost.
I prefer to believe that the creator knows where they are. And being they have not heard of the testament of Jesus they remain as innocents and are therefore in his grace for that reason.
They survive because that is all they know how to do. And how they go about that is not anything anyone has yet recorded as a fact. I'll not presume as to what they do so as to also presume that imagining makes them in any way condemned or at risk of damnation.
When God is merciful I believe he shows those who have never heard of him mercy. And when he is alive in the hearts of his creation, how these primitive people live is due to that which resonates within and leads them to that end.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My people, as you put it, because half my heritage is tribal, knew of the spirit in all things as sacred. That's what the whites call God.
As to their demeanor among rival tribes, that's not what this thread is about so with respect, I'll abstain from going into that discussion.

I also do not think that I can judge these native peoples on this island simply due to what is perceived by those who observe from a distance.
Hypothetical, such as what happened to that sunken shell of a ship, does not serve truth of what happened. Nor honor the souls lost.
I prefer to believe that the creator knows where they are. And being they have not heard of the testament of Jesus they remain as innocents and are therefore in his grace for that reason.
They survive because that is all they know how to do. And how they go about that is not anything anyone has yet recorded as a fact. I'll not presume as to what they do so as to also presume that imagining makes them in any way condemned or at risk of damnation.
When God is merciful I believe he shows those who have never heard of him mercy. And when he is alive in the hearts of his creation, how these primitive people live is due to that which resonates within and leads them to that end.
I dont presume to know precisely how God shows mercy. There are many who are saved by His mercy alone.
I believe when it says from St Paul's writings - He has written His laws in their hearts and due to innocence they are saved.
But God's laws are not hate and murder.
As you said - the spirit in all things are sacred. The American natives knew that...the Spirit was strong in their hearts.

I can assume - knowing the history of some pagans that not all will follow innocently towards such a belief.
Meloch was a god erected by some pagans who threw their first born into the furnace of the statue.
We know this displeased God...[for as the natives suspected - all life is sacred.]
For God told the Israeli's do not follow such ways.

Neither of us can claim to know what they do on that island is just or good. If they are unfriendly - how much of that follows into their own daily practices within?
Are women treated with disdain? Are they raped or worse? How about the children?

I want to say i dont care about them - and its not my business - but their lack of seeing life as sacred might be a marker of how troubled they are within.
Im not saying they need converted [i dont know] - but it seems evident they are an example of how Christianity changed the world.
Im referring to the truly righteous Christians who actually did follow their faith thru charity in bringing civility world wide.
And concluding - They are also an example of the martyrdom of Catholics who paved the path towards civilization among people over the world.

Imagine if you would - if all ppl lived like this in every nation.
Could we trust having a long life without fear?
What if our neighbors treated us this way - neighboring states or countries or counties even?

I hold them up - as a marker to how much we take for granted after the saints did the hardest work in history spreading God's laws globally. As one who read the history of the Church - noting that hospitals, schools, a form of righteousness given even to slaves [tho slaves in Biblical times are akin to what we know of servants of the household today such as maids and butlers], and laws against anything that would destroy human dignity...were all given to nations via Catholicism.

So we can either hold up the unscrupulous Christians of yester year as tho the only remarkable or worthy memory of the Church or we can finally see how life is today which came from the saints of yester year [including pious Popes] who painstakingly created what we take for granted now.

I find it ironic - many hate the Church - rail against her - pull up past indiscretions as proof of some sort of malignancy of the Churches authority through out the ages - but live comfortably knowing if their home is robbed or their loved ones are murdered - that perpetrators will be held accountable and kept away from society.
We take so much for granted. That we have somewhere to go to ensure we live a healthy life or within reason. If we are ill - we are treated humanely and with respect.
We take for granted that every word we read - has been taught to us thru schooling.

No one realizes it was the Catholic monks thru their love of God and all ppl - that gave us these things today.
Can you read what im saying - thank a Catholic.
Are you able to seek medical help - thank a Catholic.
Are you safe from constant rape, murder or theft - thank a Catholic.

These ppl - their uncivilized barbaric ways are but a true model of what life would still be today if not for Jesus.
Regardless how God judges them... this would be our world today.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
With all due respect, I'm well aware of the kind of effect and immeasurable damage Christianization can have on an Indigenous population.

I would say leave these Indigenous people alone, leave their culture alone, leave their spirituality alone, leave their traditions alone.

Don't interfere and intrude in their lives, don't try to assimilate them or Christianize them. Respect their human rights to choose their own spirituality.

I know what Christians believe about evangelizing, having been indoctrinated and then spending 24 years of my adulthood as one, but I also know how it almost destroyed my life. I also know many other NDNs and First Nations people whose lives it almost destroyed and did destroy. I know the history of Christianization among my people and First Nations (along with other Indigenous people), and that's why I'm adamant to say leave these people alone before that history is repeated in their lives. I fear for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lavendar Frog

Jul 21, 2015
✟1,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Murder and hate are adjectives that are subjective western rationalizations as pertains to our cultural understandings of behavior and community.

They in no way relate to a stone age primitive tribe who have survived in what is literally their own little world.
Their barbarism is judged as such by western culture and through the lens of our mores, faith, values. And all that punctuated by the absolute irrefutable fact that those judgments are arrived at knowing nothing of fact at all about these people.

Does that make us, as westerners, not Christians or Catholics, but as people, morally and ethically superior?
I think not.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm sorry, but what is all this talk about Western values and Christianity? The Andaman Islands (of which the Sentinel Islands are a part) are a part of India, and the most frequent attempted contact of the Sentinelese has been on the part of the Indian government (certainly not a Christian nation, or one driven by Christian imperatives), who launched "Contact Missions" to the Sentinel Islands for almost 30 years (1967-1996) with no success. From Wiki:

In the spring of 1974, a National Geographic film crew came to the island, in what was one of the most unsuccessful expeditions made on the island. North Sentinel was visited by a team of anthropologists filming a documentary entitled "Man in Search of Man". The team was accompanied by some armed police officers and a photographer from National Geographic. When the motorized boat broke through the barrier reefs, some natives emerged from the jungle. Anthropologists made friendly gestures. The Sentinelese responded with a curtain of arrows. The boat landed at a point on the coast out of range of the arrows and the police (dressed in jackets with padded armour) landed and left gifts in the sand: a miniature plastic car, some coconuts, a live pig tied, a doll and foil. The policemen returned to the boat and waited to see the reaction of the Sentinelese warriors to the gifts. The reaction was to launch another round of arrows, one of which struck the director of the documentary on the left thigh. The man who wounded the director retired, laughing proudly, to sit in the shade of a tree while other native speared the pig and the doll before burying them in the sand. After everyone left, leaving only coconuts and kitchen towels, with evident pleasure. Apparently well aware of a local version of the myth of the Trojan horse and deeply suspicious about abandoned gifts that they cannot identify.

Moral of the story: Don't go to places where you aren't welcome. Especially don't go to places where you aren't welcome to do stupid stuff like make documentaries about how you aren't welcome at those places.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It's truly disheartening how some outsiders can't seem to help themselves, they just have to go in there and intrude into the lives of these isolated people. What's even sadder is that they presumptuously assume they know what's best for them, all the while possibly damaging their culture, their way of life, their traditions, and possibly even their spirituality. The thought of how these people got along all this time without any outside interference or with very little contact is apparently unthinkable to some people.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's truly disheartening how some outsiders can't seem to help themselves, they just have to go in there and intrude into the lives of these isolated Indigenous people. What's even sadder is that they presumptuously assume they know what's best for these people, all the while possibly damaging their culture, their way of life, their traditions, and possibly even their spirituality. The thought of how these people got along all this time without any outside interference is apparently unthinkable to some people.
Seems India is the one doing the research. And they have forbidden anyone from visiting the natives except apparently for the one scientist the locals have accepted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.