Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Is there a "tinge of hostility" in Scripture toward those who oppose what the messenger of God is saying? I've noticed quite a few passages where there seems to be some serious hostility present. Here are a few examples:

"10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds." 2 Jn. 10-11 (NASB)

"8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" Gal. 1:8-9 (NASB)

The same sentiment is also echoed in 2 Pet. 2, Jude, and elsewhere in the NT. In the OT there are these passages:

"15 Then Jeremiah the prophet said to Hananiah the prophet, “Listen now, Hananiah, the Lord has not sent you, and you have made this people trust in a lie. 16 Therefore thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I am about to remove you from the face of the earth. This year you are going to die, because you have counseled rebellion against the Lord.’”" Jer. 28:15-16 (NASB)

"13 Now it came about as I prophesied, that Pelatiah son of Benaiah died. Then I fell on my face and cried out with a loud voice and said, “Alas, Lord God! Will You bring the remnant of Israel to a complete end?”" Ezek. 11:13 (NASB)

And of course in the Torah we have the fate of Korah/Dathan/Abiram. Thoughts?

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As humans, we tend to be influenced by false philosophies. It is much better for Christians to avoid people who offer these views. You should be aware of these philosophies, but don't associate with these people on the basis of these philosophies.

In other words, you should love your neighbor, but you don't have to do what they do or think what they think to love them.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As in Galatians 5?

You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Is there a "tinge of hostility" in Scripture toward those who oppose what the messenger of God is saying? I've noticed quite a few passages where there seems to be some serious hostility present. Here are a few examples:

"10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting; 11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds." 2 Jn. 10-11 (NASB)

"8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!" Gal. 1:8-9 (NASB)

The same sentiment is also echoed in 2 Pet. 2, Jude, and elsewhere in the NT. In the OT there are these passages:

"15 Then Jeremiah the prophet said to Hananiah the prophet, “Listen now, Hananiah, the Lord has not sent you, and you have made this people trust in a lie. 16 Therefore thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I am about to remove you from the face of the earth. This year you are going to die, because you have counseled rebellion against the Lord.’”" Jer. 28:15-16 (NASB)

"13 Now it came about as I prophesied, that Pelatiah son of Benaiah died. Then I fell on my face and cried out with a loud voice and said, “Alas, Lord God! Will You bring the remnant of Israel to a complete end?”" Ezek. 11:13 (NASB)

i would rather call it a warning than hostility.
there are two gates to the body which have no natural defenses---the eyes and the ears---thus the warning to guard our hearts from what we see and what we hear.

2John: 10 and the rest of your citations are the response of a Holy and Righteous God to this warning.
The scriptures cited equate receiving into the house or cooperating with those who oppose the Lord,
the same thing as receiving what they say and do into the human body.

The effect this produces is shown by the reference to the leaven,
where only a small amount spreads it's effects throughout the whole loaf.

Upvote 0

Johnlove1

Aug 5, 2015
✟598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

Yes people don’t seem to understand that God becomes very angry, especially with those who have heard the Word of God, and don’t live that Word.

(John 12:47-48) “If anyone hears my words and does not keep them faithfully, it is not I who shall condemn him, since I have come not to condemn the world, but to save the world: he who rejects me and refuses my words has his judge already; the word itself that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day.”

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
As in Galatians 5?

You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? This persuasion is not from him who calls you. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. But if I, brothers, still preach circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!

Outstanding passage. I wonder what "bear the penalty" means when Paul is talking about the individual who's trying to deceive them? Also, I find Paul's statement about emasculation to be very strong.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Here are a couple more passages:

"11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one." 1 Cor. 5:11 (ESV)

"23 He went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him, saying, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” 24 And he turned around, and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord. And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys." 2 Ki. 2:23-24 (ESV)

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John and Paul go together well in one place (one of which Achilles quoted) these together seem to compliment each other well I think (so just adding in case they might be helpful)

John said,

Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

If there come any unto you
, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

As with Paul

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

As we said before, so say I now again,

If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed

Where we can see Paul (in the above) cannot be mistaken for bidding any such a one God speed

For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Partaker of others sins are shown elsewhere also

For example here...

And I heard another voice from heaven, saying,

Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

And it shows a deliverance of plagues earlier on

For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth.

So John and Paul speak in accord concerning them which preach another gospel (and Paul moreso in his own demonstration of the same). Where John might say don't even bid such a person God speed (who brings another gospel), Paul agrees (in that) going one step further saying, ... "let him be accursed" (and he repeated this twice so theres no mistaking).

Accursed

A thing devoted to God without hope of being redeemed , or a man accursed, devoted to the direst of woes or destruction

EDIT, Okay, I do see where you quoted them together in a much earlier post Achilles, I had overlooked that you did so, good job. Partakers of deeds/sins will have to be the addition to then.

God bless you

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Farm Truck

Custom Title:
Jul 19, 2015
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there a "tinge of hostility" in Scripture toward those who oppose what the messenger of God is saying?

We are not to be in agreement with those that oppose God... if they reject God, then we should not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers.

God rejects those that reject Him since what we sow is what we reap (Galatians 6:7,8)

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
To be honest, I think the hostility, is in the way you structured, your interpretation (selecting those verses, that way).

I'm not saying that you should change that, just that from the structure you gave its not (actually?) clear, whether you think more or less hostility is a good idea, or should (be?).

It's an interesting question.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think it's natural for people to feel, if not outright hostility, then at
least a little resentment towards anyone who disagrees with
their particular belief-system.

This tendency makes itself known even in sacred writings,
given that they are penned by human beings.

I don't believe God Himself struggles with such insecurities,
however.

-

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's natural for people to feel, if not outright hostility, then at
least a little resentment towards anyone who disagrees with
their particular belief-system.

This tendency makes itself known even in sacred writings,
given that they are penned by human beings.

I don't believe God Himself struggles with such insecurities,
however.

-

Are you saying that these sacred writings were not inspired by God, then?

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Accursed

A thing devoted to God without hope of being redeemed , or a man accursed, devoted to the direst of woes or destruction

EDIT, Okay, I do see where you quoted them together in a much earlier post Achilles, I had overlooked that you did so, good job. Partakers of deeds/sins will have to be the addition to then.

God bless you

I think I read somewhere that the word for "accursed" (anathema) that Paul uses in this passage is basically the Greek form of the Hebrew "herem" which meant to put something under the ban in the OT, in other words, completely and irrevocably destroy it.

Here's a source for you:

http://biblehub.com/topical/a/anathema.htm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I read somewhere that the word for "accursed" (anathema) that Paul uses in this passage is basically the Greek form of the Hebrew "herem" which meant to put something under the ban in the OT, in other words, completely and irrevocably destroy it.

Here's a source for you:

http://biblehub.com/topical/a/anathema.htm

I see the word "cherem" as accursed

Josh 6:17 And the city shall be accursed, H2764 even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent.

The definition I pulled was taken from
both of the #2's under the defintion of accursed from here...

Gal 1:8-9... let him be accursed. G331

It appears inclusive of a thing and a person, in that defintion

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying that these sacred writings were not inspired by God, then?
Whether they're inspired by God or just a really pretty sunrise,
the material had to pass through imperfect human hands on
its way to paper.

Feelings of insecurity is a human imperfection. God is
perfect. Therefore, expressions of insecurity would more likely
come from human rather than Divine impulses.

-

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Whether they're inspired by God or just a really pretty sunrise,
the material had to pass through imperfect human hands on
its way to paper.

Feelings of insecurity is a human imperfection. God is
perfect. Therefore, expressions of insecurity would more likely
come from human rather than Divine impulses.

-

So then we can't trust what they wrote.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
So then we can't trust what they wrote.
I suppose that all depends on what we're trusting them for,
exactly.

For myself, I prefer to go by what the Lord is telling me now,
rather than solely by what was written ages ago. It makes
God even more real to me connecting to Him that way rather
than vicariously through long-dead scribes and saints.

-

-

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose that all depends on what we're trusting them for,
exactly.

For myself, I prefer to go by what the Lord is telling me now,
rather than solely by what was written ages ago. It makes
God even more real to me connecting to Him that way rather
than vicariously through long-dead scribes and saints.
-

I see.

So God's revelation to you now trumps the Bible?

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0