A Superbowl Commercial made me Tear Up !

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
OK Ok , so it wasn't Beyonce simulating sex on stage, nor was it anyone of the commercials that conflated sexuality with consumerism.

The commercial that struck my heart conflated a Dodge Ram truck with faith and Americana. Boy did it strike a cord. Through the haze of filth that pretends to entertain and/or inform. This commerical is the talk of the internet and old style media. They say millions are talking about it. Don't think so ? Google only the well known name "Paul Harvey" Nothing else, no clever mix of words.

I will save you the time. To my European friends here. these are the values we at least used to profess here in Gods country. You might do well to watch and understand America.

I realize it is gone, and we are as one writer said, "Slouching toward Gommorah" We are a downtrodden and beaten up nation.

Well , here is the commercial.

Ram Trucks Super Bowl Commercial "Farmer" - YouTube

Reactions: WarriorAngel

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Me too! Great commercial. Paul Harvey was the best narrator for the ad also. God rest his soul to peace.

And then the end of the Super Bowl made me tear up again.
No holding on pass interference? Yep, still a whimper moment for the 49er fan. :(

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Me too! Great commercial. Paul Harvey was the best narrator for the ad also. God rest his soul to peace.

And then the end of the Super Bowl made me tear up again.
No holding on pass interference? Yep, still a whimper moment for the 49er fan. :(

I am a Patriots fan ! There was something wet in my eye, it may have been the snow flurries we had up here in Boston yesterday. ;)

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am a Patriots fan ! There was something wet in my eye, it may have been the snow flurries we had up here in Boston yesterday. ;)
^_^:thumbsup: ;) I was a fan of the 49ers before I let the Seahawks take first place in my football fan heart. So as long as one of the two was on the field I was happy.
Until I wasn't. *scuffs foot, looks at the OBVIOUSLY BLIND REFEREE in the end zone during the last minute+ of the game and sighs*. :o

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for posting that. I heard about it. Never really cared much for sports. Now if I had tickets, I would of been there. :p

Did you ever hear that Paul Harvey speech about taking God out of schools and such and what the results of that would be? I remember something like that and it was a great speech as well.

r.i.p. Paul Harvey

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for posting that. I heard about it. Never really cared much for sports. Now if I had tickets, I would of been there. :p
At home had the best seat in the house as far as I was concerned. There was a blackout just after halftime, making a delay reach to at least 45 minutes. And those tickets started at $2000 for seats in the nose bleed section. :doh:I better get a hug from the QB for that kind of cash!

Did you ever hear that Paul Harvey speech about taking God out of schools and such and what the results of that would be? I remember something like that and it was a great speech as well.

r.i.p. Paul Harvey
Is this the broadcast you're referring to?
If I Were the Devil - (BEST VERSION) by PAUL HARVEY audio restored - YouTube

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I am going to listen to the Vid of Paul Harvey discussing religion and schools.

Yesterday I watched the game with friends and we ate good food, drank some beers and had a good time. We did have a little heavy heart that the Pat's fell short.

My friends wife cooked a ton. I brought beer and wine, we had Italian pastries, baked fresh from a real and good Italian bakery outside of Boston. We also had meatballs, pull pork sandwiches, all other kinds of other good food.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday I watched the game with friends and we ate good food, drank some beers and had a good time. We did have a little heavy heart that the Pat's fell short.

I did dvr the game. I'll probably watch it in a couple of days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lilly Owl

Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am going to listen to the Vid of Paul Harvey discussing religion and schools.

My friends wife cooked a ton. I brought beer and wine, we had Italian pastries, baked fresh from a real and good Italian bakery outside of Boston. We also had meatballs, pull pork sandwiches, all other kinds of other good food.
And you feasted like kings on the best food. Whereas at the stadium in New Orleans it would have cost a small fortune at the concession for not nearly as wonderful a spread as that.

Agreed. And that's not counting the cost of parking, or the concession stand that's just a wee bit cause to go; "HOW MUCH!?"
smileys-confused-925891.gif
And that's for 1 beer.

Then there's the fine art of patience.
Patience to get into the parking lot. Patience to get out. Patience to go pee. Patience to make your way to the 2 grand nosebleed section. And patience to sit in the dark because of a power outage that hit out of nowhere just after halftime.

Compared to all that costly fun you and your group and all of us here had the best seats in the house. ;) And what my cable costs per month, just calculating the cost of those three hours, was worth every penny. And no nosebleed. ^_^

That's it. I'm gonna copy and paste it on my facebook status. :thumbsup:
Glad I could help.:thumbsup: :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Super Superbowl ad: “So God made a farmer”

From the good people at Dodge. It’s deceptively simple, and touched with a plain-spoken eloquence. Among other things, this reminds us of the pure power of words. In a media culture saturated with lightning-fast editing and digital whatnot and CGI wizardry, that’s no small thing. Remember when words mattered? This is what it was like.

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Love it!!!!! Awesome commercial. Paul Harvey rocked. I remember the other video above. I should also put it on Facebook.

[Steelers fan here - :p]
Steelers?:mad::p;)

Seriously though, they pack serious heat on the field. Great team. Gotta respect that Steel curtain.

Now there's next season.
SEAHAWKS! Woot! <The optimist in me.
STEELERS! WOOT< Figured I'd beat ya to it. ;)

Just a side note: The Budweiser commercial featuring the baby Clydesdale was sooo cute. Especially the hug at the end.
Budweiser is having a naming contest for that colt in the commercial.
I suppose Kegger wouldn't be fitting, right? :p

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There is some nice photography there. Also a lot of photos of the kinds of giant farms, monoculture, and equipment that puts farmers into dep debt and ultimately pushes them off the land so their farms can be bought up by corporations and the farmer can be hired back to manage land that he doesn't own.

Wendell Berry has talked a lot about that, how those kind of huge farms, even when the owner is the one that farms them, are so big that no one can really manage them with the sensitivity to the land that a well run farm needs. There are just not enough man hours on each bit of land when you are busy at midnight in a giant tractor bringing in the huge harvests you need to pay for the tractor. How having a corporation or really anyone not living on the land as the owner results in the same issue. How a farm focused on production rather than land management is always going to end up destroying what it is meant to care for.

Somehow this message coming from Dodge seems more than a little ironic to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Seriously though, they pack serious heat on the field. Great team. Gotta respect that Steel curtain.

Now there's next season.

Just a side note: The Budweiser commercial featuring the baby Clydesdale was sooo cute. Especially the hug at the end.

Giants and Browns fan here, so I got to watch the game without concern about the outcome...by the end I was hoping SF pulled it off, though...and it was holding :(

I really liked the Budwiser baby Clydesdale commercial, and a few others, but have to admit I didn't care at all for the Paul Harvey commercial for three reasons. One is just that I really don't care for his voice or the fact that he presented so many urban legends as fact. I also imagine that if you take a random sample of American farmers and farm workers, the demographics would be quite different from what was shown in the commercial. Finally, in my head, farmers grow plants and ranchers raise livestock...and that commercial looked like all ranchers to me.

But then again, I'm a Browns fan, so what do I know?

Football's done now, so I'll just end with a Go Flames!

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Now there's next season.

:preach: Thou art Steelers - and thou shalt win!!!!!!

:holy: I know it's written somewhere. :D

Born and raised in Da' Burgh.

We have been programmed from the womb...
And then we have subdued the nation and procreated - therefore - the US is officially a Steelers nation.

^_^

Troy is my favorite. Overalll a good team.
I noticed he doesnt get the 'press' for his faith like Tebow.:o

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Giants and Browns fan here, so I got to watch the game without concern about the outcome...by the end I was hoping SF pulled it off, though...and it was holding :(

I really liked the Budwiser baby Clydesdale commercial, and a few others, but have to admit I didn't care at all for the Paul Harvey commercial for three reasons. One is just that I really don't care for his voice or the fact that he presented so many urban legends as fact. I also imagine that if you take a random sample of American farmers and farm workers, the demographics would be quite different from what was shown in the commercial. Finally, in my head, farmers grow plants and ranchers raise livestock...and that commercial looked like all ranchers to me.

There were lots of shots of farmers in big monoculture fields.

Around here livestock comes from farms, not ranches like out west. It seems to be a function of terrain.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

This is right up your alley...

Sustainable Livestock Husbandry

Sustainable Livestock Husbandrylivestock-husbandry
Learn how sustainable farms raise healthy animals using practices that benefit the environment and bolster local economies.

But lets talk about 'why' farmers raise animals - and they do.
Mainly they use the manure... 'spread it around' so to speak. ;)
And use the animals for family use - as well as sell individually rather than ranch's that raise them for larger consumption.
It is also recommended to eat wild animal too to sustain a family. But some dont. However; eating wild is healthier.
Did you know that eating deer is better for the heart?
Although with the infiltration of coyotes in the last 5 or so years - herd numbers have drastically dropped. Actually most wild animals are healthier to eat.

AND lastly - :) Paul Harvey was pretty prophetic being he said all the stuff about 'if he were the devil'...in 1965.
Amazing - a lot of the stuff we see today - he spoke about - was unheard of in 1965.
Just think about it and if you need any examples - go back and listen - 99% of what he said wasnt happening in 65.

Upvote 0