a slightly morbid thread maybe...

Your preference, Cremation or Burial?

• Cremation

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Burial

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
But as I've faced melanoma and still try to fight it (with help from some wonderfully gifted and talented doctors) I've caught myself thinking about death and dying quite alot lately which is natural I've been told.

About death is there anyone in here who've thought about wether to be buried or cremated once dead?

Personally (as the traditionalist I am) I'm kind of hung up in the fact that the church never approved of cremation until recent years (unsure of the date and year) so to me cremation is next to unthinkable.

That being said I'm well aware that Rome sees it differently now adays so I'm in no way telling others what to do.
Rome has spoken and she decides not I.

So how do you think about this dilemma?
This is morbid alright, but I've also added a poll for people to vote on their last will so to speak.

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't like either option. Actually, I guess I'd have to say that when I'm dead I'd rather be buried than cremated. But if cremation were the only option, as long as it's done in a way that the Church approves then I wouldn't complain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I will be cremated. This may sound odd , but even though I will be dead I dread the thought of being in a coffin and buried.

Given the nature of my question there isn't any odd answers.
:p

Whoever dies first between my wife and me will be cremated. Then the urn will be put in the coffin with the spouse who died last.

How beautiful.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I will be cremated - I'm 400 miles away from my kids , my husband was cremated as the family lair [ as it's termed here ] was full and both of us HATE the sight of a neglected grave. My wishes are known.

My GodPapa will organise the Church side of the funeral arrangements and he knows that is his responsibility and is content to do it

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have thought about this a lot, and it is not morbid. I almost died as you may remember, and it was beautiful, not horrible. I "saw" the glory of God and knew for sure that there is eternity and eternal lufe. I shall be buried. It jyst feels more natural to me. My husband knows my wishes.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I prefer burial but if financial things make cremation better for my survivors.... I do not mind. So I voted burial but honestly I do not mind either way.

In some ways I care alot, but in other ways I couldn't care less.
Where I'll be resting or how I'll be awaiting the final day won't matter to much for me when I'm in Purgatory anyway.

It's just a nice thought to think how I will have the Salve Regina prayed for me at the graveyard.

Reactions: Davidnic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
my choice is cremation as well. i chose cremation for my late husband because he absolutely hated the idea of being 'on inspection' and having people gawking at him, being 'on display'; like a prize turkey, and making comments about him
(ie. having a 'viewing") when he had passed.
he was a very private individual.
additionally during the years of our marriage we were not separated from each other until his final illness. when it came to his death i still could not get through the fact of being separated from him; of leaving him behind in one place and me being in another.
so i ordered two urns; one for his family and one for me.
They always claimed that I stole him away from them, so it was only fair to 'return' what i could to them.
so we are still together although in different form now. and when i die we can be burried together as well.
I will always be his, and he will always be mine.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the moment I die, I want my family to do as they please. I have no real preferences regarding services (besides a Catholic funeral, natch), burial or cremation, what I'm wearing, whether it is an intimate family affair or if throngs of mourners I've known over the years are welcomed. I just don't care.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
my choice is cremation as well. i chose cremation for my late husband because he absolutely hated the idea of being 'on inspection' and having people gawking at him, being 'on display'; like a prize turkey, and making comments about him
(ie. having a 'viewing") when he had passed.
he was a very private individual.
additionally during the years of our marriage we were not separated from each other until his final illness. when it came to his death i still could not get through the fact of being separated from him; of leaving him behind in one place and me being in another.
so i ordered two urns; one for his family and one for me.
They always claimed that I stole him away from them, so it was only fair to 'return' what i could to them.
so we are still together although in different form now. and when i die we can be burried together as well.
I will always be his, and he will always be mine.

That makes sense I suppose.
In Europe open cascett is somewhat unusual, but in a American context it makes a lot of sense.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I have shared my wishes with my siblings and my parents so there shouldn't be any doubts when my time come.

I have many siblings, the one twelve years younger than me so regardless of how old I'm gonna get some will know my wishes.

@Davidnic
Do you know if there is usual for priests to dicuss these things with their bishop ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The diocese can be informed and the wishes of priests made known. Not sure who...the diocese office that takes care of benefits kept records in one diocese I know of.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whoever dies first between my wife and me will be cremated. Then the urn will be put in the coffin with the spouse who died last.
I have a friend whose parents are doing exactly that.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
The diocese can be informed and the wishes of priests made known. Not sure who...the diocese office that takes care of benefits kept records in one diocese I know of.

But if no arrengements are made beforehand then burial is the norm right?

Upvote 0