1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sin not to go to church?

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics' started by SayaOtonashi, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SayaOtonashi

SayaOtonashi Newbie

Faith:
    Methodist
    The church just means to gather with other believers but still does God state it's wrong. Yes Paul does say do not forsake the gathering of believers, however gathering together is what the church is.

2. miamited

miamited Ted

Faith:
    Christian
    Hi sayaotonashi,

Paul does encourage us not to forsake the fellowship of the believers. Now, does this encouragement mean that it is a 'sin' if we don't? I don't think so, but I do believe that Paul wrote this encouragement for very good reason. We need the refreshing and spiritual renewal that comes from being with others who believe as we do. It's a tough world out there for a believer and fighting the battle alone for any great length of time wears on one's mental and physical abilities. We can find strength in numbers just as the Scriptures tell us that a chord of three strands is stronger than a single strand by itself. We should also strive to participate in the practice of communion with one another in a holy service of remembrance unto the Lord. So, there are reasons that we need to be enjoined with other believers.

Now, is there some command that we do so each week? Not that I'm aware of. The Scriptures do give us an example that the new believers did gather on the first day of the week for the breaking of bread with one another, but I don't find that it was a command or that we can take from that that every believer attended each week.

I agree with you that gathering together doesn't have to be in some 'christian' ordained meeting, but is just as well attained in a small gathering. I attended a fellowship where the small group bible study teacher mentioned believing in creature life on other planets. I'm not a part of that understanding so why should I feel beholden to join up with someone like that on a regular basis. I honestly believe in my heart that that understanding comes from someone who doesn't understand the purpose of God in His creating this realm. Should I be a part of such a person and place myself under them as one learning from a teacher? I happen to be one who believes that those we hold up as teachers of the truth should, well, know the truth.

The example of meetings and gatherings we find in the writings of the new covenant seem to be believers gathering together in homes and not ornate sanctuaries built for 'the glory of God'. So, I have, as I believe learned more about what God asks of me, found that the beautiful cathedrals and temples that we have built are more of a drag on the finances that God says we should be using to help others. I have witnessed many 'churches' with empty pews where all that they can do financially is to keep the lights on in some building that they have come to worship rather than the God for whom they were made to worship.

God bless you.
    In Christ, Ted

johenah1633 likes this.
  3. SayaOtonashi

SayaOtonashi Newbie

Faith:
    Methodist
    Thanks, I do know that many people have argued about that the building people have created are a sin and that Christians should only met at the home. However I see the flaws in this argument. One we are to gather anyway. Where ever believers gather is the church. I mean it that a building it called the church for it only means to gather has believers however I knew it states gentiles were able to use the temples that Jews used

4. PhantomGaze

PhantomGaze Carry on my wayward son.

Faith:
    Christian
    Ditch church if it's hindering your faith.

5. Willie T

Willie T St. Petersburg Vineyard

Faith:
    Christian
    What is the fascination with, "many people say", instead of using the brain in our heads to reason, or to read, and learn, and know for ourselves?

There is a whole sub-society that says pedophilia is a good thing. Do you agree with that just because "many people say" it is good? Why not? Because you asked here, and some other people told you we don't think it is? So now you will adopt our thinking?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. South Bound

South Bound I stand with Israel.

Faith:
    Christian
    It's not just "gathering together", or else we could all just go hang out together at the Cracker Barrel and that would be church.

The purpose of the local assembly is to gather together for the corporate preaching and teaching of the Word of God, for corporate worship, for edification, for exhortation, for the observance of the ordinances of the Church, and for discipline.

The Church has a purpose. That's why God has placed leaders in authority over us in the Church, why we have ordinances, why we have discipline, etc.

Whether or not it's a sin not to go depends on your reason for not going.

If you're sick or unable to go, then that's one thing. But if you're not going because you don't accept its authority or you don't desire those things I listed above, then, yes, that's a sin.

7. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    I agree with most of that.... but I'm just curious where you drew that part about "observing the ordinances of the Church" from?

8. South Bound

Faith:
    Christian
    Baptism - Matthew 28:19, Acts 10:48
    Lord's Supper - 1 Corinthians 11:17-34

9. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    Oh, OK. Sorry. I guess I am so used to hearing "certain religions" who feel ordinances are the hundred and one rules for conducting a service... ringing bells, swinging smoke, throwing water, folding napkins, raising chalices, marching around in little parades, repeating chants, etc., that I thought you were talking about all those things.

10. South Bound

Faith:
    Christian
    No. The Bible only gives two ordinances: baptism and the Lord's Supper.

When I lived in New Jersey, I used to have a pastor friend named Charles Lord and we would often meet at his house after church. Inevitably, somebody would say "we will observe the Lord's Supper at the Lord's house and will then proceed to the Lords' house for the Lords' supper".

It's very important to point out that these things are not the same as sacraments because sacraments, in Catholicism, are salvific and these are not salvific, but are for illustration, edification, and instruction.

That's why Baptists are so quick to point out that we have ordinances, not sacraments.

11. Willie T

Faith:
    Christian
    Totally agree.

12. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! Angels Team CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Christian
    Not going to Church is a sin only if you think it is..Anything(or a component of that thing) can be made sinful if one truly believes it to be so.

13. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Orthodox Catholic in the English Style Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Anglican
    It isn't a "sin" per se, but it is a sign of very questionable ecclesiology.

The Bible shows an outward and visible community of faith made up on interdependent members. If one is a Christian, they should include themself in this organic unit, for it is the Mystical Body of Christ.

The idea of "house church" is long outdated and was practiced only due to Christianity's illegal status. Once it became tolerated, the Roman government began to give Christians places to be used for worship. Since Christianity has thus organized itself and was organized originally in such a way as per the Holy Writ, meeting in coffee houses or individual homes is going back into a persecution mode which is long over and not according to the intention of Holy Writ.

In other words, if they don't meet in a place truly set aside for Holy Worship alone, avoid the group; the theology is almost guaranteed to be unorthodox.

14. Denied

Denied Guest

The 3 little words 'go to church' are not in your bible. The connotation is a building.

They met from home to home daily. They assembled according to God's design. Read: 1Cor.12 and14 and Romans 12 .

15. PaladinValer

PaladinValer Orthodox Catholic in the English Style Supporter CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Anglican
    Because they didn't have them at the time, being kicked out of the synagogues (thus, the intent was there) and it was dangerous to do so afterwords as the religion was not recognized or legal.

That wasn't by design; that was due to persecution. The Bible shows them initially meeting in synagogues, thus buildings, before being kicked out by the Jews.

The Bible proves your view to be in error.

16. SayaOtonashi

SayaOtonashi Newbie

Faith:
    Methodist
    What if you can't go not because you don't want to go but because you have work?

17. catholicdave

catholicdave Newbie

Faith:
    Catholic
    I guess Mary and Joseph should have told Jesus to ditch the church when they found him in the temple
    Luke 2 verse 49 And he said to them, “How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father’s house?”

Jesus refers to the Temple as his fathers house.

18. freezerman2000

freezerman2000 What a long,strange trip it's been! Angels Team CF Ambassador

Faith:
    Christian
    Not all Churches are edifying or they are not faithful stewards of the Word.
    THOSE are the ones to ditch.

19. spiritandtruth2

spiritandtruth2 Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    We have to be check the the Bible all the time, as there is a warning.

(Matthew 7:21-23) 21 “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew YOU! Get away from me, YOU workers of lawlessness.

So verse 21 gives us some insight. what we have to watch out for.

20. johnregnier

johnregnier Member

Faith:
    Word-of-Faith
    When I was Catholic, it use to be a mortal sin when one missed church on Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation. I guess they changed that.

May God bless, John