A simple convertion question.

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Why do people refuse to believe in God when His evidence is all around us? If you ask "what evidence", I can say everything is His evidence.
IMO, pointing to "everything" may help one conclude there is a creative force behind it. But this would have been a past event, since "everything" has been here quite awhile. Thus, the universe doesn't necessarily point to a creative force that is still at work. IOW ... it doesn't necessarily mean that the creator is still around in the present. So even if it were evidence that it was all created ... where is that creator now ? What is the evidence this creator is still around ? And by "everything" does that include all aspects of existence ? Suffering ? Pain ? Trauma ? Predation ? Death ? Such questions could and have arisen.

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
✟7,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
IMO, pointing to "everything" may help one conclude there is a creative force behind it. But this would have been a past event, since "everything" has been here quite awhile. Thus, the universe doesn't necessarily point to a creative force that is still at work. IOW ... it doesn't necessarily mean that the creator is still around in the present. So even if it were evidence that it was all created ... where is that creator now ? What is the evidence this creator is still around ? And by "everything" does that include all aspects of existence ? Suffering ? Pain ? Trauma ? Predation ? Death ? Such questions could and have arisen.

Before I accepted Christ, everything made sense by science, nature, patterns, etc. God wasn't real because I couldn't see Him. Once I accepted Him, His evidence was everywhere.

You know, I had an original response that people have largely ignored. I don't understand why everyone is so against the idea of God? I first presented an idea of simply proving there is a god, this to me, should be the first logical debate.

So my question to all atheists would be, if God does not exist, what else is plausible based on the evidence we have now? We do know everything works in patterns, cause and effect, etc. I would like for other posters to please express what they think. I also believe that responding with "I don't know" should be supported with firm evidence of why they don't know.

We cannot have a healthy conversation with non believers since I do feel that we are just put under a microscope for them to prick and prod.

So here is my question for non believers, what do you believe and why?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why are you on a Christian forum then? To mock Christians?

I also think that the other allowing atheists to be on these forums without valid questions to Christians will have to stand before God for that. But perhaps the owners aren't Christians at all and this entire site is a grand ploy to mock Christians in general.

Mainly just argumentative hecklers, they just keep asking hair splitting questions with no real sincere desire to understand.

(1126.6) 102:7.6 The God-knowing individual is not one who is blind to the difficulties or unmindful of the obstacles which stand in the way of finding God in the maze of superstition, tradition, and materialistic tendencies of modern times. He has encountered all these deterrents and triumphed over them, surmounted them by living faith, and attained the highlands of spiritual experience in spite of them. But it is true that many who are inwardly sure about God fear to assert such feelings of certainty because of the multiplicity and cleverness of those who assemble objections and magnify difficulties about believing in God. It requires no great depth of intellect to pick flaws, ask questions, or raise objections. But it does require brilliance of mind to answer these questions and solve these difficulties; faith certainty is the greatest technique for dealing with all such superficial contentions.

(1127.1) 102:7.7 If science, philosophy, or sociology dares to become dogmatic in contending with the prophets of true religion, then should God-knowing men reply to such unwarranted dogmatism with that more farseeing dogmatism of the certainty of personal spiritual experience, “I know what I have experienced because I am a son of I AM.” If the personal experience of a faither is to be challenged by dogma, then this faith-born son of the experiencible Father may reply with that unchallengeable dogma, the statement of his actual sonship with the Universal Father.

(1127.2) 102:7.8 Only an unqualified reality, an absolute, could dare consistently to be dogmatic. Those who assume to be dogmatic must, if consistent, sooner or later be driven into the arms of the Absolute of energy, the Universal of truth, and the Infinite of love.

(1127.3) 102:7.9 If the nonreligious approaches to cosmic reality presume to challenge the certainty of faith on the grounds of its unproved status, then the spirit experiencer can likewise resort to the dogmatic challenge of the facts of science and the beliefs of philosophy on the grounds that they are likewise unproved; they are likewise experiences in the consciousness of the scientist or the philosopher.

(1127.4) 102:7.10 Of God, the most inescapable of all presences, the most real of all facts, the most living of all truths, the most loving of all friends, and the most divine of all values, we have the right to be the most certain of all universe experiences. UB 1955

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind that as I respond to you, I believe in God.

Before I accepted Christ, everything made sense by science, nature, patterns, etc. God wasn't real because I couldn't see Him. Once I accepted Him, His evidence was everywhere.

You know, I had an original response that people have largely ignored. I don't understand why everyone is so against the idea of God? I first presented an idea of simply proving there is a god, this to me, should be the first logical debate.

So my question to all atheists would be, if God does not exist, what else is plausible based on the evidence we have now? We do know everything works in patterns, cause and effect, etc. I would like for other posters to please express what they think. I also believe that responding with "I don't know" should be supported with firm evidence of why they don't know.

We cannot have a healthy conversation with non believers since I do feel that we are just put under a microscope for them to prick and prod.

So here is my question for non believers, what do you believe and why?
Okay lets go back to the "proving there is a God" part. For the record, I believe a being identified as "God" exists.

If you go back to the beginning of all things, the beginning of the universe ... and you want to attribute that beginning to some sort of being or agency (i.e. God) ... right there, you already have an issue. You cannot PROVE it (I'm not talking mathematical proof, but the common everyday use of the term "proof").

Even if God Himself were to show up and somehow transport you back in time to show you Himself all that was created, that is still not PROOF. Do you know why ? It's not proof, because of our place in the causal chain:

We were not there to witness the beginning, before the beginning took place. Thus, anyone who would claim to be responsible for it ... we either take their word for it, or we don't. It could be proven to us, if we were there in the beginning to see for ourselves. But we aren't. Our awareness arguably showed up sometime after. Even if we get transported there somehow LATER ... it's still later. It's still later in the casual chain.

Let me give an example:

Let's say a car accident takes place in front of you, hitting a pedestrian. With your own eyes, you can see who hit who. You may even have it on video tape. Thus, you have evidence, and you/yourself saw the entire thing transpire, the before and after.

If you didn't witness it ... but you heard about it, you can go on evidence and the testimony of witnesses, and make a decision. But quite literally, for you/yourself ... since you were not there, you would need to trust the evidence and the witnesses and the hearsay, to see what corroborated what, and then make a deduction based on that.

This is where we are with the "beginning". Because of our place in the chain of cause and effect, we cannot know for certain what took place before the first cause. 100 different entities could claim responsibility, and provide all kinds of evidence ... but it boils down to we either trust them, or we don't. Unless we were somehow there at the beginning to see God do this creating.

So to use the universe as PROOF of a creator .... what creator ? Why pick one over the other ? And furthermore, it's arguably not proof. It boils down to trust, belief, faith perhaps, etc.

Furthermore, you would need to be able to show how that creative force was still around today. How they were applicable. And I'm sure you aware there are a myriad of creation stories and accounts to choose from, all across our history. So why one over the other ?

If you want to prove that a being named "God" exists TODAY ... and throw out all the ideas about creating a universe, or which religion says what ... and go strictly off of proving such a being exists in some fashion TODAY, then that's another matter. Thus, I would argue you CAN have a healthy conversation with "unbelievers" because of the very fact they are going to prick and prod. If you allow it, it will keep you intellectually honest, it will show you which aspects of your own beliefs stand up to the basics perhaps. In my experience, it is that very pricking and proding which has helped me to establish my own beliefs concerning reality. To help weed out the nonsense from the actual.

If you show up and claim to be a doctor, for example ... people are going to want to see you perform tasks associated with a doctor. If you can't ... then what's the point of saying, "I'm a doctor," and trying to get people to believe you ? Are you a doctor of snake oil or the real thing ? Show and demonstrate ... talk is "cheap". Let what you demonstrate speak for itself. If you can't demonstrate it, don't be surprised if people do not take your word for it or believe you.

What do you think ?

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
✟7,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What do you think ?

I think the evidence is all around us. The problem is human arrogance and pride issues.

If there was a bullet hole in the wall and you found a bullet lodged deep inside the wood, would you conclude there is a gun?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the evidence is all around us. The problem is human arrogance and pride issues.

If there was a bullet hole in the wall and you found a bullet lodged deep inside the wood, would you conclude there is a gun?

Arrogance and pride are definitely complications, but I am sure the cause is greed and selfishness.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I think the evidence is all around us. The problem is human arrogance and pride issues

It depends on a lot of factors. I can take a bullet right now and pound it into the wall with a hammer. It doesn't mean a gun fired it.

Using your analogy however, the universe would be the bullet and the bullet hole, yes ? So where is the gun ?

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it simply after all an inside belief, an inside compulsion that drives you to strongly believe, to be sure your god is the one and only ?

It seems that you are trying to describe spiritual people's behavior here.

Is it based on objective evidence and not so much of a higher spiritual compulsion ?

It seems that you are trying to describe the world view of the atheists.

It should be neither of above. What actually matters is the validity of human witnessing.

it is a bit similar (but not exactly) to daily news broadcast by the media. How can a truth be reached this way? Do you rely on a spiritual compulsion to believe what the newspapers said? No, of course not.

Then do you rely on evidence to determine what to believe. No, it's not. You don't examine any evidence behind a piece of news to believe it.

Then what? It is the validity of the witnessing which you choose to believe to reach such a kind of day-to-day truths. What you trust (or have faith in) is neither a spiritual compulsion nor the evidence, but a credible source (with possible cross checking by multiple accounts - multiple media agencies).

You evaluate the credibility and reliability of human witnessing (in the end by the reporters) to decide to believe or not.

That being said. Christianity is the only religion explicitly claimed to be formed by multiple accounts of human witnessing, with direct witnesses martyred themselves for what is said. Prophets are explicitly called the witnesses of God.

Human witnessing is explicitly named as a way/method for a truth to be conveyed (similar to the way how a piece of new is conveyed). It is actually the most efficient way for such a truth to be conveyed in among human beings.

Acts 1:8 (NIV)
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tayhana

Aug 18, 2014
✟200.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think Christianity is very open and accepting and that is something that I think is important. God is forgiving, loving, no matter what, and that is something I find amazing, and something I need in my life. Also, Christianity (at least in the form i believe in) lets you have a personal relationship with God, and instead of formal ceremonies and blah blah blah, you can just tell him how you feel whenever, whereever. Sometimes it is hard to explain why I am Christian because it is really more than what I just explained, there is also a very spiritual, kind of unexplainable part as well.

Upvote 0
A

AlephBet

Im sorry by advance I really dont know where to put what is just a simple question. I find it to fit more in the phylosophy thread but it does not really fit here. Anyway.

Here's a question way less controversial than my other topics.
Simply, what leads someone to become a Christian, how do you go from one belief system to another... ?
And also what in your mind makes christianity a more plausible option than the ones who also claim there single god is the right one ?

Is it simply after all an inside belief, an inside compulsion that drives you to strongly believe, to be sure your god is the one and only ?
Is it based on objective evidence and not so much of a higher spiritual compulsion ?

What do you think leads you to be christian or whatever your belief is, and makes you keep to that belief ?

Tell me I'd be happy to know about all of that ^^.

In an old Egyptian Fragment, it tells a story of our preexistence in the heavens as the universe was being constructed. It states that the universe is designed with necessity and invention as a primary directive. The directive is to Seek, Find and Adapt. There are goals that can be reached along this path, but the primary goal is to remember who you were before. Seeking ends in finding by a process of elimination. The entire image we occupy is produced to lead you back home.

What leads us to belief? Truth. See the bolded link (#6) in my signature, then look at #2. There is proof that can be found. My theology represents nearly 50 years as a seeker. Symbolism in the Bible tells you the same story as the fragment I mention. It also tells you the same story as Rumi the Sufi tells; as Confucius; Tao; Dhammapada (Buddha); Upanishads; Gita and countless other documents from around the world. We have been here since the beginning. Our salvation from this refinery has a path that can be found. You can't get there unless you first learn the Word (Son), then transcribe them by the letters (Father).

No one gets to the Father (Letters) unless they travel through the Son (Word).

Seek, Find and Adaptation (rising to new Life / Evolution). Before you can evolve, you must involve (involution / Baptism). There are five baptisms listed in scripture.

Progress depends on seeking. The links below are an attempt to save others time. We have all been here together since the beginning. We will be here until the end. It's a story we are told from Aleph to Tav.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Im sorry by advance I really dont know where to put what is just a simple question. I find it to fit more in the phylosophy thread but it does not really fit here. Anyway.

Here's a question way less controversial than my other topics.
Simply, what leads someone to become a Christian, how do you go from one belief system to another... ?

What leads someone to become a Christian? The answer, the Holy Spirit of God.

The world is a sinful place, and one of the Holy Spirit’s tasks is to convict the world of its sin. No amount of preaching, pleading, or pointing of fingers will bring about the conviction of sin, unless the Holy Spirit is at work in the sinner’s heart. It is the Spirit’s job to convict. And what is the most basic sin of which the world is guilty? Jesus specifies it as unbelief. The convicting power of the Holy Spirit is at work in the world “because they believe not in [Christ]” (John 16:9). Once a person responds to the Spirit’s conviction and turns to faith in Christ, the other sins he practiced will be taken care of. It is the sin of unbelief—a refusal to trust in Jesus—that is primary.

Brennos said:
And also what in your mind makes christianity a more plausible option than the ones who also claim there single god is the right one ?

What do you think leads you to be christian or whatever your belief is, and makes you keep to that belief ?

Tell me I'd be happy to know about all of that ^^.

How do we know that the God of Christianity, as proclaimed in the Bible, is the real, true, one and only God? The simple answer is, because the Bible says so. BUT, that begs the question, how do we know that the Bible is true?!

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true and the God of Christianity is the one, true God, and by extension, all other religions are false because they all have one, or more, beliefs that contradict the essential truths of the Bible.

The Bible was written over a period of 1,600 years, by 40 God chosen men, who lived on 3 separate continents and they all wrote about the same thing, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There were no mail delivery trucks, no drop ship planes, no Federal Express, no UPS and no email, yet when all of the writings were put together they present one unified message. The Bible is truly the inspired Word of God.

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. How much research have you done on proving the validity of the Bible? Following are some topics and links I hope you will look into, concerning the validity of the Bible. Please lay your doubt aside and proceed with an open mind, and heart, and see what the evidence has to say.

An excellent eBook on the subject: http://www.apologeticspress.org/pdfs/e-books_pdf/idobi.pdf

Proof of Textual Evidence
Old Testament: http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/266
New Testament: http://www.carm.org/questions/textualevidence.htm
More on the Bible: http://www.carm.org/bible.htm

Proof of People Living at the Time of Christ
http://www.carm.org/questions/extrabiblical_accounts.htm
http://www.carm.org/questions/Josephus.htm

Proof of Archaeology
http://www.christiananswers.net/archaeology/home.html#general
http://www.biblicalarcheology.net/
http://www.carm.org/questions/evidence_archaeological.htm

Proof of Science
Statements Consistent With Paleontology
Statements Consistent With Astronomy
Statements Consistent With Meteorology
Statements Consistent With Biology
Statements Consistent With Anthropology
Statements Consistent With Hydrology
Statements Consistent With Geology
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/science.shtml
http://www.carm.org/bible/ms_science.htm
http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html

Proof of Prophecy (Messanic & dealing with nations)
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/m_prophecies.shtml
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/fulfill.shtml
http://www.carm.org/bible/prophecy.htm
http://prophecyrevealed.com/friendbook9thPrinting.pdf (awesome eBook)
http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/b_proof.shtml

If the Bible is true, Christianity is true. In Christianity, faith is required but it does not have to be a blind faith.

Upvote 0