stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
He's an outsider, just as you and I are. He's also serious. The question is: Are you serious, or are you willing to go along with the pettiness of what politics has become?

When people say I am too serious, I take it as a compliment. I have always understood politics as a serious endeavor, involving the fates of nations, ideals and human beings who cannot afford to be pawns in a game. I suppose this understanding makes me an outsider in contemporary American politics. But if I am more serious about politics than those candidates who jet from one high-donor fundraiser to the next, or from a Koch Brothers–sponsored summit to the Sheldon Adelson “primary,” I do not think I am more serious than the American people.

The American people want political campaigns to be about candidates’ stands on the issues, not about fundraising, polls, or the negative ads that overwhelm honest debate. Elections should be influenced by grassroots movements and unexpected coalitions, not by the cult of personality or a billionaire’s checkbook.

From the time I began to get involved in politics, as a student organizing for civil rights on the University of Chicago campus, as a peace activist in the Vietnam War era, as a supporter of labor unions and peoples’ struggles, what offended me most about electoral politics was the pettiness. It seemed that the media and political parties were encouraging voters to make decisions of enormous consequence on the basis of whether a candidate had a bright smile or delivered a zinger belittling another candidate—not on the basis of ideas or philosophy, let alone idealism. I never wanted to be a part of such a soulless politics. And across my years of campaigning for causes and for elective office, I think I have done a pretty good job of avoiding it.
Bernie Sanders exclusive: “I never wanted to be a part of such a soulless politics”

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Bernie Sanders will never get the nomination.
It'll be Clinton vs. Bush. It's always been going to be Clinton vs. Bush. Why you guys are spending 16 months and umpteen million dollars pretending otherwise is quite beyond me.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
It'll be Clinton vs. Bush. It's always been going to be Clinton vs. Bush. Why you guys are spending 16 months and umpteen million dollars pretending otherwise is quite beyond me.
I'll have to agree with the conservative element on this site - It doesn't have to be.

He's too honest.
And that's just exactly what his strength is.

Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
He's an outsider, just as you and I are. He's also serious. The question is: Are you serious, or are you willing to go along with the pettiness of what politics has become?

When people say I am too serious, I take it as a compliment. I have always understood politics as a serious endeavor, involving the fates of nations, ideals and human beings who cannot afford to be pawns in a game. I suppose this understanding makes me an outsider in contemporary American politics. But if I am more serious about politics than those candidates who jet from one high-donor fundraiser to the next, or from a Koch Brothers–sponsored summit to the Sheldon Adelson “primary,” I do not think I am more serious than the American people.

The American people want political campaigns to be about candidates’ stands on the issues, not about fundraising, polls, or the negative ads that overwhelm honest debate. Elections should be influenced by grassroots movements and unexpected coalitions, not by the cult of personality or a billionaire’s checkbook.

From the time I began to get involved in politics, as a student organizing for civil rights on the University of Chicago campus, as a peace activist in the Vietnam War era, as a supporter of labor unions and peoples’ struggles, what offended me most about electoral politics was the pettiness. It seemed that the media and political parties were encouraging voters to make decisions of enormous consequence on the basis of whether a candidate had a bright smile or delivered a zinger belittling another candidate—not on the basis of ideas or philosophy, let alone idealism. I never wanted to be a part of such a soulless politics. And across my years of campaigning for causes and for elective office, I think I have done a pretty good job of avoiding it.
Bernie Sanders exclusive: “I never wanted to be a part of such a soulless politics”

This is really good! If you are out of work, or you are not getting a COLA next year, medical bills forcing you into bankruptcy, Or Native Americans not wanting Keystone to go across your land, etc. etc. etc. those are very SERIOUS issues at least to those going through it! Although I have seen Bernie laugh and smile, too, at times :)

Who cares what his hair looks like, or anything else if you care about what is going on in the lives of everyday ordinary people then you would care about the issues candidates are for/against, not what they look like or their age!

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll have to agree with the conservative element on this site - It doesn't have to be.

It doesn't have to be, but it will be.

I could be wrong, I hope I am, in fact, but Clinton/Bush is my bet.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He may believe what he says but the American people have demonstrated they don't want the kind of campaign he says they do. The American people want celebrity gossip, gotcha moments, slogans and horse race coverage in their election campaigns. Why do you think that is what the media delivers to the consumer? They will go out of their way to avoid the actual nuts and bolts talk about how the government works or how it ought to work or why the people in government can't just wave a magic wand and give everyone what they want while both political parties are holding hands with each other singing kumbaya.
Although I disagree with him ideologically, I wish he was right about what the American people wanted in a political campaign.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Well, going by the crowds and how much Bernie has come up in the Polls especially when so few had even heard of him a few months ago, I wouldn't take that bet :)
He might not win but I do believe his chances are good. Even some that said months ago he wouldn't win some of them are singing a different tune now LOL saying he does have a chance! But, if he doesn't win for sure anyone that gets their social security or veterans reduced or losses a job because of TPP if it gets passed, etc. IF they didn't vote for Bernie, I sure do NOT want to hear any whining out of them.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well, we have the process, because everyone thought it was going to be Clinton in 2008 as well.

There are few forgone conclusions in politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

At this point I wouldn't bet against on either of them getting their party's nomination but hillary is still in a better position to get the DEM nod than Bush is the REP nod. If the establishment DEMS decide to take down Bernie in some underhanded fashion or by simply using their machines then she would have little competition unless someone else enters the race or stands out in the debate tonight. With Bush he has very poor poll numbers and several alternatives ready to jump into the vaccuum when Trump falters. My nightmare scenario would be a Trump/Clinton race as I see very little difference between the two and what I see is mostly deceptiveness along with incompetence coupled with arrogance. I would much rather an honest Bernie Sanders,that I totally disagree with ideologically, become president than either one of those two( I will not use the word that I am thinking of to describe them). Of course that being said, I would still prefer someone that was straight forward and conservative as well.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not saying its a bad thing. I just don't think he'll be quite as tough as Hillary is going to be. If Bernie wants to leave a lasting impression, he's gonna have to come out swinging in the debates.

Upvote 0

stamperben

Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not saying its a bad thing. I just don't think he'll be quite as tough as Hillary is going to be. If Bernie wants to leave a lasting impression, he's gonna have to come out swinging in the debates.
If by "tough" you mean she's gonna go on the attack - personally - I hope she does so the public can see the greatest difference between them. For me, and many others I'm sure, Sanders' "coming out swinging" will be him putting his positions in clear plain terms.

I watched a poll on one of the Houston news shows this morning on who would win the debate tonight. Bernie won with about 67%. I was floored.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If by "tough" you mean she's gonna go on the attack - personally - I hope she does so the public can see the greatest difference between them. For me, and many others I'm sure, Sanders' "coming out swinging" will be him putting his positions in clear plain terms.
That is exactly what I mean. Bernie made it a point to not attack her (or any other candidate for that matter) and I love him for that but it's one thing to say that to a reporter, it's another to be on a stage with Hillary. I don't think she'll hold back at all. She's gonna go for the jugular because that is what she does and if he can't keep up, she'll clobber him. That's not what I want to have happen but that's what I think will happen.

I watched a poll on one of the Houston news shows this morning on who would win the debate tonight. Bernie won with about 67%. I was floored.
That is impressive. I agree that he will definitely be the winner on tonight's debate. The problem is his victory will most likely be ignored by the MSM.

Upvote 0

OldFashionGal

May 17, 2015
✟9,197.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

I am not floored because I have been following where I see the huge crowds at his rallies, I hear of how much money he is raising in SMALL donations, etc. I think as more people learn about this guy such as he has a long record of doing what he says (doesn't say things just to get votes like so many do) etc. I think his support will just get bigger and BIGGER!! As a lot have said, don't underestimate him :) As well as he is doing in this short of time then when more people learn about him and how he is for the middle class, seniors, veterans, and the poor, I think his chances will get better and BETTER :) Most everyone already knew about Hillary so naturally she started out ahead and is still ahead nationally but I really expect that to change where her numbers go down more and more!

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not floored because I have been following where I see the huge crowds at his rallies, I hear of how much money he is raising in SMALL donations, etc. I think as more people learn about this guy such as he has a long record of doing what he says (doesn't say things just to get votes like so many do) etc. I think his support will just get bigger and BIGGER!! As a lot have said, don't underestimate him :) As well as he is doing in this short of time then when more people learn about him and how he is for the middle class, seniors, veterans, and the poor, I think his chances will get better and BETTER :) Most everyone already knew about Hillary so naturally she started out ahead and is still ahead nationally but I really expect that to change where her numbers go down more and more!
It really is impressive what Bernie has been able to do while coming into the race as an underdog. That will set a precedent that hasn't been seen in politics anytime recently. I think even if he doesn't win, he's created a movement that wont just die with next year's election.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He's too honest.

The RNC and DNC picks their chosen one...if you're not it, then you won't win. ...and if you start throwing a wrench in their plans and start gaining traction, they simply utilize their media connections to relegate you to a position of non-viable.

If Hillary is their chosen one, she'll win...and there's nothing Sanders or his supporters can do about it.

I call it the Ron Paul Treatment lol..

Jon Steward did a pretty good piece on it:

Upvote 0