Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Townhall
By Suzanne Fields
Monday, September 4, 2006

In a remarkable bit of pushing the advertising envelope, a television commercial for the new Ford Freestyle . . .a mom and a dad start out for a day at the beach with a back seat full of happy, smiling kids.

The car moves across desert and plain, through Norman Rockwell country, down hill and past dale, and home again after a good time is had by all. Then the Ford stops, Dad gets out, pulling his little duffel bag with him, and looks gratefully at his wife. She's in the driver's seat, of course. "Thanks for inviting me along," he says, and to the kids, adds: "I'll see you next week." The wife gives him a wan but relieved smile, the little family dog barks a sad little bark, and Mom and the kids drive away in what critics are calling "the Divorcemobile." . . .

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/SuzanneFields/2006/09/04/a_ride_in_the_divorcemobile

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sure, what part of God's intended plan for humanity haven't the media spat on, and counterpromoted a broken replacement for. I don't mean to offend divorced persons, but promoting a social failing in our society doesn't help the problem!

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bleh...brings back painful memories, just show me a normal family on TV!

So true Bill. One of my first thoughts after seeing the commercial was 'maybe there's a chance they'll get back together'... but I guess that was always my (disappointed) hope as a child, too. I can relate to the painful memories.

Upvote 0

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
It makes me feel sad when I see that commercial... the pain and hurt that the kids must feel, not to mention the lonely father, left alone until "Next week"...

Why promote such a horrible "norm" in a commercial? Is the Freestyle supposed to be the woman's "freedom" mobile? The car for the divorcee? I just don't get it. This is pretty horrible.

-Michael

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It makes me feel sad when I see that commercial... the pain and hurt that the kids must feel, not to mention the lonely father, left alone until "Next week"...

Why promote such a horrible "norm" in a commercial? Is the Freestyle supposed to be the woman's "freedom" mobile? The car for the divorcee? I just don't get it. This is pretty horrible.

-Michael

The Ford family has been promoting death and anti-family initiatives for a long time now.

Upvote 0

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
What other ads are you referring to?...

I am certainly not anti-Ford, as I support buying domestic products over imports (we should support our own nation before sending money elsewhere, and our automobile is our #2 largest purchase of our entire lifetime). I, myself, drive a Chevrolet and would consider a Ford in the future, but maybe not if these kinds of ads continue.

-Michael

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I am certainly not anti-Ford, as I support buying domestic products over imports (we should support our own nation before sending money elsewhere, and our automobile is our #2 largest purchase of our entire lifetime). I, myself, drive a Chevrolet and would consider a Ford in the future, but maybe not if these kinds of ads continue.

-Michael

I'm not specifically referring to Ford advertisements, but rather the Ford Foundation and the things they support. The Ford Foundation regularly finances the spread of abortion, contraception, same-sex marriage, and many other things that are contrary to the moral precepts of the Catholic Church ala Gates Foundation and Warren Buffet.

Upvote 0

Megatherium

Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
✟8,072.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I couldn't believe this, so I had to search for this ad on the internet. It really does exist! The ad is so sad, I can't believe they think this will sell cars. You can see it here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2148392

The article also gives Ford's explanation for the ad:

According to John Felice, Ford's general marketing manager, the ad is meant to be a "celebration of family" and also an ode to "the versatility of life itself, as well as the versatility of the Freestyle."
It turns out we've all been misinterpreting it. It's actually a celebration of the family!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
...a celebration of the DIVORCED family?... The dysfunctional American family? Why would anyone celebrate that. Awful. We should be having a funeral service for the American family.

-Michael

My husband and I are friends with a recently divorced couple, the husband is taking it the hardest. You know, three kids, the dog the whole bit, and she came out of it, of course, better than he. Has the kids more often, the house and most of the belongings.

I'm trying to imagine him watching this commericial, as the family drops off poor ole dad while he's standing there fighting back the tears and mom and kids drive off honking and waving merrily into the sunset. I don't think this commercial is gonna go over well with a whole lotta divorced people, especially when a whole family is involved. Most of them don't get together for weekend camping trips after the divorce.

It's just weird.

Michelle

Upvote 0

2Hearts

Aug 29, 2006
Tornado Alley
✟7,838.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

-Michael
They will continue it looks like. Ford has been promoting alternative life styles for sometime now. They are big on homosexual/alternative family themes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.