England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have recently started to look for a new church to attend after 27 years of not attending church.
There is one thing I am really struggling with. I became a Christian in 1985. I had several relationships with Christian girls. None of these worked out. One girl in particular we split up then a couple of years later we got back together again. I genuinely thought she was the one and she was the one that initiated the relationship. I adored her.
However, it didn't work out and I was very hurt.

Many years later she is very active in her church, does Samaritans and charity stuff. I am married to a non christian. She is a lovely sweet person but wants nothing to do with church. She sees it as something people have to comfort themselves and if that helps them then that's fine but it's not for her.

I know we have free will, but if I had had my wishes I would have married the christian girl i loved and have never met my wife.
I don't want this to sound like I am not happy with my wife but I cannot understand this as I thought the Lord would give me a Christian wife. It all seems so random and left to chance without any kind of God like guiding hand.

Can anyone offer any explanations for this as it makes no sense to me?
Thanks
David

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have recently started to look for a new church to attend after 27 years of not attending church.
There is one thing I am really struggling with. I became a Christian in 1985. I had several relationships with Christian girls. None of these worked out. One girl in particular we split up then a couple of years later we got back together again. I genuinely thought she was the one and she was the one that initiated the relationship. I adored her.

Many years later she is very active in her church, does Samaritans and charity stuff. I am married to a non christian. She is a lovely sweet person but wants nothing to do with church. She sees it as something people have to comfort themselves and if that helps them then that's fine but it's not for her.

I know we have free will, but if I had had my wishes I would have married the christian girl i loved and have never met my wife.
I don't want this to sound like I am not happy with my wife but I cannot understand this as I thought the Lord would give me a Christian wife. It all seems so random and left to chance without any kind of God like guiding hand.

Thanks
David

David, we can never know the answer to these things absolutely. What I do know is that the way we analyze things is not always the way God is looking at them, and so we misjudge and conclude that he let us down. I note that you said it didn't work out with the Christian girl and that she was the one to break it off, so maybe you are exaggerating how it was as you think back on that relationship, imagining that it had more of a chance than it did.

But you'll say, "God still didn't bring me a Christian girl, and I thought he'd want to have that happen." I've heard this from a hundred Christians who are lonely hearts, and there is no automatic answer. Still, you also don't know that your wife is not the one he has in mind for you or what the future holds.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cannot understand this as I thought the Lord would give me a Christian wife.
Well I am in no way trying to be rude but God would not have you marry a non-christian. The bible even states do not marry unequally yolked. So I'd say in this situation you chose to marry a non-christian. Your free will. But with that said now that you married to a non-christian all you can do is pray for her salvation. And as for the other girl, it doens't really matter now. Your married and never will know if that girl was meant to be your wife or not. Our free will tends to get us stuck in these situations because we sometimes don't make the best decisions. I almost married a girl who said she was christian but actually wasn't. I'm glad she broke up with me because later on I met a woman who was amazing and meant for me. I seen many miracles take place for us to come together from opposite ends of the planet.

So as stated just continue to pray for your wife, as my names says... nothing is impossible through God.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In scripture, we're told that if two non-Christian people marry, and one becomes a Christian and the other doesn't, then you stay married as long as the non-Christian wants to be. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and work out your marriage.

People marry who they want to marry in today's world. That's exactly what you did. Quit blaming God for allegedly sending or not sending the person you want. God had little to do with it. People often confuse their personal desires with what they think God wants. Cut it out.

Sure, someone that is a Christian is only supposed to marry another Christian, but it sounds like that wasn't your issue back when you got married. You weren't a believer then either.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

*You exercised your free will and married a non-Christian...I did the same thing many years ago...
God isn't to be blamed...I don't blame him for something I choose to do...

even though I knew it went against scripture.
I know the heartache and the struggles one goes through
when one is married to an unsaved person...my first marriage lasted nearly seven years
before he walked out on me to be with his girlfriend
whom he married after our quick divorce was finalized.

Thanks
David

*God's guiding hand... His Word is our guide, we can obey it or reject it. There are godly men and women who are in place for us to turn to for sound biblical advice... I knew of some but I didn't go to them, I went to my "friends" who gave worldly advice, of course it was dressed up to sound just right and
was pleasing to the ear.

Not listening...
I remember my minister telling me that I shouldn't be
unequally yoked, I quickly shot down his remark with some
clever quip...turns out I wasn't so clever after all.
Like so many I ended up yearning for a godly spouse.
..and hating myself for being so stupid for ignoring all
the red flags and not listening to my minister.

God was still there...Christians would drift in and out
of my life all the time I was in that first marriage.
I remember how the Lord kept me going when the
rough times came, the on-going affairs my husband
had, his rude/crude friends who he let belittle me etc.
The Lord would send in a kind stranger to encourage
me and or to bless me. Then came the blessing of a
great paying job and finding friends instead of uncaring employers.

When my husband left me for his girlfriend-- it was
the lady I worked for who made it possible for me
to pay off all the debt my former husband left owing.
[My ex found a way to work "under the table" and since
he had "no income" the bill collectors came after me...I could of lost everything but the Lord put me with the right people who would help.]

Advice on being in a marriage to an unsaved person:
1 Corinthians 7:12 "To the rest I say (I, not the Lord)
that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and
she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her.
Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is,
they are holy.

But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so.
In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved.
God has called you to peace.
For how do you know, wife, whether you will save
your husband?
Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save
your wife?"

*Do you have a good strong base of Christian support?
For example: prayer warriors, advisors, mentors.
If you don't, do see about getting connected with the
aforementioned people.

Also...
There's a book by the Strobels on being in a spiritually
mismatched marriage...have you read it?
It's available over at www.christianbook.com. --

Surviving a Spiritual Mismatch in Marriage
By: Lee Strobel, Leslie Strobel

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
“May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father encourage you and strengthen you in every good thing
you do and say. God loved us, and through his grace he gave us a good hope and encouragement that continues forever.”

1 Peter 1:3-4
“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
In God’s great mercy he has caused us to be born again
into a living hope, because Jesus Christ rose from the dead. Now we hope for the blessings God has for his children. These blessings, which cannot be destroyed or be spoiled
or lose their beauty are kept in heaven for you.”

Colossians 2:6-7
“As you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so continue to live in him. Keep your roots deep in him and have your lives built on him. Be strong in the faith, just as you were taught, and always be thankful.”

Reactions: David_AB
Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her. (1 Corinthians 7:12)

Christians are told that we should not marry unbelievers (2 Corinthians 6:14) so if you did not follow this advice then you cannot really blame God. It seems like you have had a recent resurgence in your faith so this shows that people can change and you should talk with your wife and pray for her.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your replies.

Firstly I agree that it is our free will and in my case it seems the turning away from God that led me to marrying a non Christian.

Regarding the girl I dated in the past I am in no way wondering whether she was right for me. She most certainly wasn't. She came back two more times and I rejected her because I didn't want to open myself to being hurt by her again.
I was more wondering why another Christian girl was not put in my path.
However as said by someone, we have our own free will.
Thanks
David

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
going to church doesn't make someone a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes someone a car; the mark of a Christian is not the 'good works' they 'do' such as going to church, it's the selfless love of God that is evident in their lives. the pharisees of Jesus day would be welcome in almost any traditional church of today, yet their 'good works' and knowledge of God's word could not hide the lack of selfless love in their lives. why do you believe that your wife is not a Christian?

Upvote 0

camperdown9

Sep 9, 2010
England
✟15,206.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Hi

The situation is a little different, but one of the staff at a church I attend from time to time told a guy who is a Christian but has a non-Christian wife to leave her. Personally I don't think this is right, its not up to other people to try and split up marriages.

You make it clear that you love your wife. Maybe your wife will become a Christian because of you in time. That might take years. It would be amazing if we had the luxury of only working with other Christian, and only loving other Christians but thats not what we can expect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

*Do you have a good strong base of Christian support?
For example: prayer warriors, advisors, mentors.

Thank you BFine for your detailed response.
I am in the process of visiting churches to find one that is right for me so as yet I do not.

Upvote 0

David_AB

Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2015
England
✟71,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
going to church doesn't make someone a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes someone a car; the mark of a Christian is not the 'good works' they 'do' such as going to church, it's the selfless love of God that is evident in their lives. the pharisees of Jesus day would be welcome in almost any traditional church of today, yet their 'good works' and knowledge of God's word could not hide the lack of selfless love in their lives. why do you believe that your wife is not a Christian?

She believes people who follow Christianity or indeed any religion use it as a comfort. A kind of crutch I guess.
She would describe herself possibly as a Christian in the loosest sense because we live in a Christian country but does not really believe.

Upvote 0