• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

A New Church...will I be shunned there too?

rtodd5011

Member since 2012
May 5, 2012
Arkansas
Visit site
✟24,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not know where to start with this so here goes. My wife and I were not happy in the last church we were in. It took me awhile to get there but I was very overlooked and shunned. My wife doesn't know that I had went and let my pastor see my testimony, which I posted in another thread here. The pastor there was very young in the pastoral ministry. At first I thought he was going to be supportive....but before the very end he shunned me and would not allow me to be involved in ministry activities.

We started going to another church. There is quite a crowd there and they made us feel very welcomed. The pastor called me the week we started going there and was very nice and welcomed us back anytime. We have been going there two weeks and noone has even asked where I work. Im schizoaffective and havent worked since 2002 and on disability. He called me today and wants to come and visit with us. I am really blessed that the pastor is so friendly. I dont think I have felt so welcomed in the church since my growing up years when I went to a neighborhood southern baptist church.

My wife wants me to tell people there if they ask, that Im disabled and leave it at that. What do you all think I should do? I think that if he asks me questions that I should tell my story and pray about which parts that I should leave out.

Im really sad and get very depressed about this. I grew up in Church and have been in church since i was 7-8 years old. I was diagnosed late, in 2002. and have been shunned by so many since then, its unreal. I am 51 years old. I feel like I have a calling on my life but who is going to support me and help me to find my place in the body of Christ. Im praying that this church and pastor will be very compassionate and understanding. I dont know what to tell and what not to tell. I even thought of redrafting my testimony out of my blog, or I will not tell him where my writings are at.

This is a country church, it a church of God. Please pray for me and my wife, and give me wisdom...

Sincerely,
Richard

Last edited:
D

detachment

I went to a church told them I was mentally ill they all laid hands on me and prayed for me and told me to dump my medication down the toilet. I did and became disabled was working until then. My Pastor at my Church has a daughter that's schizophrenic he told me to stay on my medication I felt so welcomed. I rarely go to Church but I listen to Dr Jermiah And Michael Yousef every day.He told me his daughters medication only works 3to5 years then she has an episode and has to change meds I have been on the same medication for two years and haven't gotten hospitalized.I'm also shizoaffective been hospitalized 15 times mostly for quitting medication but I have accepted it and I'm no longer mad at GOD HE love's me.

Upvote 0

KatyAD111

Jun 1, 2010
United States...Richmond VA
✟8,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I read your post about your disability. I have also been diagnosed with schizophrenia, and have been shunned by many in my church. I rarly tell people and try to act as normal as possible. Most of the people my age (I'm 32) have turned their backs on me, its very painful.

I believe I have been called into the ministry too....here is a great website i found...with some bible based info on those who are so called...nobodies Check it
out.

God Uses nobodies

(not that we are no bodies, i believe they are wrong for turning their backs on us)

Upvote 0