Indiana
✟791.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am a baptist..... But my brother who got saved while he was visiting me in south carolina attends a church of christ.. He is also getting married coming this month on the 18th, and although I wont be attending it.. I also dont know much about the church he belongs to either.,. I asked him some question on it including about the rapture and ect... But he couldnt give me an answer. neither could his fiance who happens to be an old friend of mine..(and her family is in the ministry)
what are the differing beliefs between the church of christ and the church I attend? I am independant baptist. but dont stick to all their beliefs( I dont believe in a pre-trib rapture)

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Sticky at the top of this forum should tell you most of what you want to know. As to this "pre-trib rapture" business: there is no "official" stand on this, since there is no headquarters handing out doctrine. It will vary from congregation to congregation, and even from member to member.

Upvote 0

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What Homie said.

Typically, coC people tend to be amillenialists. No rapture, no tribulation period, no 1000 year reign. Just a 2nd coming and Judgement thereafter.

But there is no official creed of the coC. Members are encouraged to follow the Bible and search such things for themselves. (Kind of like your situation with the Independant Baptists) I'm pretty sure this is considered the majority view though. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What Homie said.

Typically, coC people tend to be amillenialists. No rapture, no tribulation period, no 1000 year reign. Just a 2nd coming and Judgement thereafter.

But there is no official creed of the coC. Members are encouraged to follow the Bible and search such things for themselves. (Kind of like your situation with the Independant Baptists) I'm pretty sure this is considered the majority view though. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that you are correct here. But there are many who do hold to the pre, mid, or post position. What all will agree on though, is that the most important thing is to be ready--whenever He calls us home!

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe that you are correct here. But there are many who do hold to the pre, mid, or post position. What all will agree on though, is that the most important thing is to be ready--whenever He calls us home!
Bingo, and amen.

I need to revisit the topic again. Did some research a few years back and found the Rapture doctrine was first introduced sometime in the 1800's by one specific person, but have since forgotten where I found that, so I will go back and re-research that a bit.

Upvote 0

Jim Woodell

Dec 31, 2004
✟15,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise the Lord that your brother has accepted Christ as his Lord! Apparently he is marrying a young lady who is also a Christian.

Churches of Christ are also "independent," as you have described the Baptist Church you are associated with. Isn't it really a matter of going to the Bible with questions such as the one you have raised? If you look for the word "rapture" in a Bible concordance you may be surprised that it is not in the scriptures. Like so many things that are made into divisive issues. Whether you are "pre," "A," or "post," will not matter in the judgement. These are simply words that are used to describe the conclusion that one has come to based on their understanding of what the Bible teaches about the second coming of Christ, the new heavens and new earth, and how God will choose to use them.

Bottom line, your conclusion is a "matter of opinion."

Upvote 0