tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine that, Tulc starting an anti-cop thread...

who would have thunk it? :D

Well, I got tired of asking others to start threads about the things they wanted to talk about and no one seemed to care enough to do so. :wave:
tulc(doesn't see it as anti-cop, more like pro-citizen) :)

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
could be an example of failing to screen applicants enough. You know, how some jobs attract some types of people? :wave:
tulc(just a thought) :)

Even then, the rigors of law enforcement may create greater opportunity for those who are prone to engage in sexual abuse to do so, perhaps while fostering a state of mind that prods their predilection.

The same thing for racism (hopefully not to derail your topic) perhaps?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only salvation for citizens and police alike is in the hands of the courts and the lawmakers. Until they take crime seriously uncontrolled and unpunished crime will brutalize everyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well, I got tired of asking others to start threads about the things they wanted to talk about and no one seemed to care enough to do so. :wave:

It's not so much we don't care enough to do so. It's moreso that the problem is so systemic that we could literally talk about it every single day.

Your best bet regarding discussing police action is to just wait for a national level incident of police abuse. And sad to say, you aren't going to have to wait too long.

Otherwise, you over farm this ground and when the time comes to have another big wave of discussions, we are all talked out...

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's not so much we don't care enough to do so. It's moreso that the problem is so systemic that we could literally talk about it every single day.

Your best bet regarding discussing police action is to just wait for a national level incident of police abuse. And sad to say, you aren't going to have to wait too long.

Otherwise, you over farm this ground and when the time comes to have another big wave of discussions, we are all talked out...

Yes, Those dangerous waters of having thoroughly discussed a topic.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Imagine that, Tulc starting an anti-cop thread...

who would have thunk it? :D

Being against police abuse isn't anti-cop. You are actually implying to be pro-cop is to be pro-child rape, which would be wrong.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can an immoral, thoughtless, society expect a moral, thoughtful, police force? Don't the values of our police accurately reflect our values in general? The police begin with elevated values, but that is quickly beaten down to our level after a pretty short time on the streets, and in the courtroom.

One veteran police officer put it this way, "You're all crooks, we just haven't caught you yet."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can an immoral, thoughtless, society expect a moral, thoughtful, police force? Don't the values of our police accurately reflect our values in general? The police begin with elevated values, but that is quickly beaten down to our level after a pretty short time on the streets, and in the courtroom.

One veteran police officer put it this way, "You're all crooks, we just haven't caught you yet."

...so the societies where the police AREN'T killing 3 people a day are more moral and more thoughtful then ours? :confused:
tulc(is just curious) :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
...so the societies where the police AREN'T killing 3 people a day are more moral and more thoughtful then ours? :confused:
tulc(is just curious) :sorry:

Which societies are you talking about?

Specific examples would be useful for comparisons.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But don't you know, pro-citizen, pro-rights, pro-photography, that's all anti-cop.

And on top of the "bad Apples" you've got, you've also got all the apples that help protect the "bad Apples" (2nd Gen Bad apples ? )

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
England, France, Germany, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Finland. :wave:
tulc(hopes that helps) :)

It does tulc, thanks...

Now that I know what places you're speaking about, we can start to discuss possible reasons why you're far less likely to be killed by police in these places.

I would suggest that the common denominator in all the nations you just mentioned is gun laws. Every nation you listed has gun laws which are far stricter than here in the U.S.. In a couple cases, it's extremely strict and hard to even compare to the U.S. (I think people with gun permits can only own 1 gun in Belgium, and France keeps a record of everyone who can possess, trade, purchase, sell, etc a firearm or ammo). I don't think you can downplay the effect that has on the overall sense of "danger" their police forces have during the course of their duty. I would imagine that most police in those places not only will never encounter a subject with a gun, they probably don't even think that the person they're arresting or trying to arrest might be carrying a gun.

Here in the U.S., it's obviously very different. Cops have to consider that everyone from a five year old to an 80 year old might have a gun. Cops who don't run the risk of being killed, and like anyone else...their top priority is to make it through the day alive.

Upvote 0