twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I knew a fellow, Ferrel Griswold, who preached a series through the 1689 LBC and I thought it was sad that a man would preach a confession instead of the Scriptures. I guess that writing a commentary on it is OK but I would rather study the Scriptures than a confession.

Now I do read commentaries but they are commentaries on the Scriptures not on the confessions.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I knew a fellow, Ferrel Griswold, who preached a series through the 1689 LBC and I thought it was sad that a man would preach a confession instead of the Scriptures. I guess that writing a commentary on it is OK but I would rather study the Scriptures than a confession.

Now I do read commentaries but they are commentaries on the Scriptures not on the confessions.
There is definitely a place for deepening the church's understanding of the distinctives they hold to as laid out in their confession. Not to mention the value of studying the confessions and creeds confessed in history. But I agree with you that it would not make appropriate primary material for preaching. Sunday School, or a bible study, or a church membership class would be better suited forums.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There is definitely a place for deepening the church's understanding of the distinctives they hold to as laid out in their confession. Not to mention the value of studying the confessions and creeds confessed in history. But I agree with you that it would not make appropriate primary material for preaching. Sunday School, or a bible study, or a church membership class would be better suited forums.
JM already knows that I am not a confessional Baptist and why. Suffice to say that there are some things in the confessions that I believe to be unbiblical.

I do hold to Baptist Covenant theology and to the Doctrines of Grace but I will not bind myself to a confession. I bind myself to the Scriptures alone.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,796.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Sermons are expositions of scripture just as a creed or confession is. I have no problem with someone giving a lecture on a confession or creed but would find it weird for someone to preach a sermon from the confession. I do believe the confession can be a helpful guide obviously.

Upvote 0