May 11, 2006
✟15,184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Now here is a very interesting novel. A horrifying and terribly violent, yet in some odd ways hilarious, good-and-evil fable with free will as one of its main themes. Can we force a man to be good? And, if so, at what cost to his humanity?

Highly recommended, though you might have some problems with the Nadsat at the very beginning. Burgess basically created this entire system of Russian-based slang for his work. I believe there is a glossary of Nadsat words in some editions of the book, and you can certainly look it up on the Internet, though I think it would be best to just immerse yourself in the book and try to figure it all out yourself. After a while you'll learn what everything means by context clues and all that.

The Stanley Kubrick adaptation is an excellent movie, as well. Of course it is, it's a Kubrick film, after all. Though let's not dwell on that too much, this is, after all, a book forum.

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I read it about 3 years ago- found it pretty disturbing, but nonetheless I'd second your recommendation. The Nadsat was quite difficult at first, but it gets easier, especially if you just go with it and work it out, as you said.
The film was possibly even more disturbing.

Upvote 0

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I love the book, have yet to see the movie.

I just jumped into it and figured out all the slang by myself...and it worked pretty well that way. I need to reread it, but am having problems getting my hands on a copy.

I find the story line completely compelling - are we doing good if we can't choose to do evil?

Upvote 0