A belief, not an assertion of fact

I, one individual among many who accept the science of evolution have a belief that is only tangentially related to the science of evolution.

That belief is this: that at some point in the past, by natural means, living matter emerged by some process from non-living matter.

This belief could be characterized as "spontaneous generation" has probably occurred at least once in the past.

If I am wrong in this belief (which, not having strong empirical evidence to base it upon, I may well be), that has no impact on the theory of evolution which does have strong credibility from empirical evidence.

I believe my position to be fairly typical of those who accept the science of evolution.

Reactions: Astrophile

Gunny

Remnant
Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟35,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IS 40:21 Have ye not known? have yet not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?
IS 40:22 `It is' he that sitteth above the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in;
IS 40:23 that bringeth princes to nothing; that maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
IS 40:24 Yea, they have not been planted; yea, they have not been sown; yea, their stock hath not taken root in the earth: moreover he bloweth upon them, and they wither, and the whirlwind taketh them away as stubble.
IS 40:25 To whom then will ye liken me, that I should be equal `to him'? saith the Holy One.

ASV 1901

GySgt
James

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
I "believe" that you have opened yourself to all sorts of ridiculous randman like taunts by using the word belief in relation to anything scientific. :) Naughty Jerry. Semantics will surely be your downfall.

Because of course, I don't just believe that you invited silly critism--I can reasonably predict that you will be criticized--and there is some actual criticism on the thread to back me up. Preaching to the choir, but the reason science is thinking about, working on, and experimenting with the idea of abiogenesis is because there is a reasonable expectation that there is a natural explanation about Life's arrival and beginning.

Maybe there isn't--maybe we will never know how God created life (because I believe that God works through natural processes)--maybe this is a mystery of sorts that will always give philosophers and scientists mental excercise.

--tiba

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟296,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Science can take a hike.
IOW - "Necro-bump. I don't have anything substantial to add to the discussion, or that everyone in the previous posts haven't been here for over a decade, nor do I care. I'm bored and need to be the center of attention."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Um, and what about the science which makes them possible?
Well ... let me run it through my Boolean Standards.

* beep * boop *

Nope, no problem.

Let me run it through my Prime Directive.

* beep * boop *

Nope, no problem.

Let me run it through the 5% of science that I disagree with.

* beep * boop *

Nope, no problem.

Let me run it through [only the] conclusions of science I follow.

* beep * boop *

Nope, no problem.

All systems green.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
IOW - "Necro-bump. I don't have anything substantial to add to the discussion, or that everyone in the previous posts haven't been here for over a decade, nor do I care. I'm bored and need to be the center of attention."
I only read the OP.

Upvote 0