A Baptist Children’s Home Rejected an Atheist’s Donation, So He Started a GoFundMe

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
I am just wondering why reject an atheist's offer.
Because to do otherwise would be to accept that atheism is not synonymous with immorality.

The GoFundMe is now at $24k and counting. Donors are a mixture, some atheists, but plenty of Christians and even Baptists, commenting on how ridiculous it was to refuse this donation.

I doubt they'll refuse a second time; especially when it's tens of thousands of dollars.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion it was not smart to return the $100.00 donation. But if they change course now that it is over $24 thousand and accept it, what does that say about them? That they can be bought? Greed overcomes their values?

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my opinion it was not smart to return the $100.00 donation. But if they change course now that it is over $24 thousand and accept it, what does that say about them? That they can be bought? Greed overcomes their values?

I wondering if they will justify it because some of the money has come from Christians and they can't tell it apart from the atheist money.

Or something like that.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did the Atheist insist on donating in the name of an Atheist organization? Why didn't they just give in the givers name, or need a non anonymous name at all for that matter? Looks like both the Atheist and the charity had agenda's.

Whatever the case, looks like the exposure ended up creating a good deal for the needy.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why did the Atheist insist on donating in the name of an Atheist organization? Why didn't they just give in the givers name, or need a non anonymous name at all for that matter? Looks like both the Atheist and the charity had agenda's.

Whatever the case, looks like the exposure ended up creating a good deal for the needy.

I say who cares if it was from an atheist organization, because as long as they are legit I think their money would be good. I don't think he had an agenda, and just used the organization he was apart of to reel in money to donate.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Makes me wonder if the donor's motivation was less than pure. Had it been pure, he would've been willing to change the name. I suspect he was looking to get a reaction that he could use to publicize his organization. Sounds like it worked.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
http://observer.com/2016/08/a-bapti...n-atheists-donation-so-he-started-a-gofundme/

I am just wondering why reject an atheist's offer. This is just reinforcing stereotypes about Christians being Pharisee like, and not caring about others. Besides isn't it good that an atheist would donate to a Christian charity.

Having been involved with a number of Christian Ministries, all take donations but limit donations from ungodly organizations or people. It would be unethical for a church to take a donation form a bar, strip club, Muslim, atheist, Beer manufacturer, any group or persons who stand directly against scripture.

However if a base ball club wants to take donations from anyone that's perfectly fine.

Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I say who cares if it was from an atheist organization, because as long as they are legit I think their money would be good. I don't think he had an agenda, and just used the organization he was apart of to reel in money to donate.

See my note above, its all about ethical standards.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't care if it was from an Atheist org either, that wasn't my point. We just disagree on the Agenda thing....pretty strong evidence they had something to prove or something. If all they cared about was giving, why not just do it anonymously? And that's not to say, just giving didn't play a role in his intentions.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having been involved with a number of Christian Ministries, all take donations but limit donations from ungodly organizations or people. It would be unethical for a church to take a donation form a bar, strip club, Muslim, atheist, Beer manufacturer, any group or persons who stand directly against scripture.

I don't necessarily disagree with the basis of what you are saying there but, Beer Manufacturer? Didn't Jesus manufacture wine?

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The point is they returned it. The ethical thing is if you know the source and they do not support Scriptural standards you can't take it. If the money came in with no way to know the source, "that is a horse of a different color".

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

However if a base ball club wants to take donations from anyone that's perfectly fine.
The second temple in Jerusalem would not have been rebuilt if the returning Jews had turned down the help from Cyrus and Darius. AND they would have been going against the will of God for them.

God causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust alike. He does this to bless the just.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Why did the Atheist insist on donating in the name of an Atheist organization?
If I were an Oklahoman atheist, I would probably try to publicise every nice thing I did, in the hope that it might help to convince the majority of the local population that I'm not a baby-eating psychopath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The second temple in Jerusalem would not have been rebuilt if the returning Jews had turned down the help for Cyrus and Darius. AND they would have been going against the will of God for them.

God causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust alike. He does this to bless the just.

As I wrestled with if the subject here was right or wrong, I was wondering if there was a bible reference to cover it, and that may be it.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I were an Oklahoman atheist, I would probably try to publicise every nice thing I did, in the hope that it might help to convince the majority of the local population that I'm not a baby-eating psychopath.
LOL

It could be that he had researched different charitable organizations in that area and felt that this church was doing a good job at what he thought was important. By pointing out that he was not a Christian he could encourage them by showing that their work is appreciated by people outside the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I wrestled with if the subject here was right or wrong, I was wondering if there was a bible reference to cover it, and that may be it.
Some of the best jobs, where I was appreciated and paid the most money, were for non-Christians. That gave me a better opportunity to help others. Was God blessing me and others, yes He was.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It would be unethical for a church to take a donation form a bar, strip club, Muslim, atheist, Beer manufacturer, any group or persons who stand directly against scripture.

William Booth who founded the Salvation Army was severely criticized for sending his people into saloons and music halls and worse to collect donations. His answer??? "I would take money from the devil to do God's work."

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't think they think Atheists are Baby eating psychos, only that they are Atheists and that's all it takes. Right or wrong I at least get their side, they aren't fond of anyone who is against their God. I think it's mentioned in the Bible that Christians are supposed to dislike what God dislikes so, it's going to happen, like it or not,

Upvote 0