Jasminoodle

Aug 2, 2012
✟7,674.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i love 80s music!
dunno what it is; the synths, the fake drums or the experimental sound, i just love all of it! i thought to myself, lets find some christian 80s music (like new wave, synthpop, etc... y'know the main 80s styles) but i spent a good few years actually trying to find anything!most christian music is the same sort of thing, either urban, RnB sorta stuff, or rocky-indie stuff, which are not my favourite genres in the world!
i could find christian bands that were around in the 80s, but their music just wasn't the style. well, finally the search is over!
if there is any other 80s fans out there that have struggled with finding this, then here is a list of some great ones i have found:

Quickflight: not all the songs have christian themes, but they are absolutely immense! and so underrated! my favourite band, by far :) definately look for 'water of life', 'fade to glory' and my favourite, 'metro alien'
stryper: their early stuff had a very glam metal 80s sound to it. look for 'to hell with the devil' and 'soldiers under command'
flock 14: quite a lot of their songs have that 80s sound to it. more of a subtle, quieter sound, but good all the same. look for 'disposable people'
vector: havent heard them much, but i think theyre songs have like moral themes and stuff. theyre good anyway! look for 'the hunger and the thirst'.
steve taylor: controversial artist, some songs with a good 80s sound. look for 'meltdown', that's my fave :)

and these aren't strictly 80s, but they have a different sound that steers away from the usual christian music sound:

joy electric-children of the lord. its weird to start off with, but once you get used to the unique sound, you'll find yourself singing along
World wide message tribe (or 'the tribe)- 90s dance group with strong christian messages. i really like their stuff. they've got loads of songs, so you'll easily find some!
newsboys -i'm not ashamed, is a song i really like. it has got reminiscents of an 80s influence, and some of their really early stuff had the 80s touch to it too. they've got loads of music though, i think they're quite popular.
jars of clay-flood. okay, its kind of the usual sort of thing, but i really like this song, you should hear it ;)
family force 5-love addict. its kind of crunk-rock sound. i quite like this, check it out!
another band i've heard about that were around apparently in the 80s is 'mad at the world'-dunno what they're like, but you can check them out!

hope someone finds this useful or interesting. if you have any more 80s christian music, or just some unique stuff that steers away from the usual, then please discuss!

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jasmine,
A lot of those bands you mentioned above can be heard on the Planet Palmer station at the Loudcaster website. Lots of 80s Christian rock - mostly alternative stuff, no Sandi Patti or that dreck. Check it out if you can. Just go to Loudcaster and type in Planet Palmer and you'll get there.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟9,842.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Quickflight: not all the songs have christian themes, but they are absolutely immense! and so underrated! my favourite band, by far :) definately look for 'water of life', 'fade to glory' and my favourite, 'metro alien'
stryper: their early stuff had a very glam metal 80s sound to it. look for 'to hell with the devil' and 'soldiers under command'
flock 14: quite a lot of their songs have that 80s sound to it. more of a subtle, quieter sound, but good all the same. look for 'disposable people'
vector: havent heard them much, but i think theyre songs have like moral themes and stuff. theyre good anyway! look for 'the hunger and the thirst'.
steve taylor: controversial artist, some songs with a good 80s sound. look for 'meltdown', that's my fave :)

I listened to all those artists in the 80's. Vector's first two albums are very new wave and are well recommended. Some of the best that Christian rock had to offer in the 80's. "The Hunger And The Thirst" (which is one of my favorite songs) comes from their first album Mannequin Virtue. The drummer on that first album is Aaron Smith, who earlier played for The Temptations, and also for the Christian Band 77's. You can see him drumming on this following video of 77's, a song that displays the earlier new wave side of the band:

77s - Ba Ba Ba Ba (official video) from All Fall Down - YouTube

Another great Christian band from the 80's is Barnabas. They are more known as a metal or hard rock group, but they began in a more punkish hard rock direction. Here is an example of that from 1980:

BARNABAS- Directory Assistance - YouTube

One band I never heard at the time, but discovered in more recent years, is The 4th Movement. They recorded some great gospel rock in the early 80's, which sounds like Lenny Kravitz or a throw back to Jimmy Hendrix. They were three black dudes, who began as a secular punk or proto-punk group by the name of "Death" (not to be confused with the death metal group). Back in the mid 70's, they recorded music that sounded like a cross between Hendrix and Bad Brains, a very overlooked group in the history of punk. By the time they transformed into a Christian band and changed their name, they went for a sound even closer to Hendrix:

Christian Rock -The 4th Movement - Revelation's Eve - 1980 - gospel rock - YouTube

Christian Rock -The 4th Movement - You'll Never Do Wrong - 1980 - gospel rock - YouTube

Yet another great Christian artist from the 80's is Geoff Mann, who also sang for a progressive rock group by the name of Twelfth Night. Though he's been classified as "neo prog", sometimes I hear post punk in his music, and other times he sounds like acoustic folk to me. Whatever you want to call him, his music is very artistic, his lyrics are well written, and he sings with a spiritual passion. I get the impression that he strongly believes what he's singing about. He made some fantastic original music, one of the best Christian artists to come out of the UK in the 80's. Here are two very different examples of his music:

Geoff Mann-Hope Hospital (1984) - YouTube

Marc Catley & Geoff Mann-"All Along the Way" (1983) - YouTube

And a quick list of some others from the same period:

Altar Boys
Ark Angel
Kemper Crabb (who also sang for Ark Angel)
Daniel Amos
Elim Hall
Jamboree (pre Hoi Polloi)
Jeff Johnson
Justus
Level Heads
Rez Band
Steve Scott
Terry Scott Taylor (who also sang for Daniel Amos)
Weber and the Buzztones
Wild Blue Yonder (featuring a younger Crystal Lewis)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Perceiver

Apr 15, 2010
✟15,136.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
i could find christian bands that were around in the 80s, but their music just wasn't the style. well, finally the search is over!
if there is any other 80s fans out there that have struggled with finding this, then here is a list of some great ones i have found:

[ !

So you were looking for pseudo-80's music?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

markb77

Nov 20, 2011
✟16,859.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.