StTruth

Aug 6, 2016
Singapore (current)
✟22,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone been taught that the Bible is: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth? If so, do you think that's the correct way to view the cannon of holy scripture?

I think that doesn't do justice to a book that's the backbone of Western civilisation. It's not all eschatological as that description implies.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anyone been taught that the Bible is: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth? If so, do you think that's the correct way to view the cannon of holy scripture?

Canon in this context is spelled with one N. Cannon's are those big iron tubes on wheels which lob shells at the enemy.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dont know if its been mentioned but there is a book in our church library called...

How to read the Bible for all its worth.

I havent read it. I just read the Bible instead.

I would suggest you read that other book. It will help you better understand what you read in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Its ok, I already understand the Bible..but it would be useful for some one who needs a bit of help.

Another one is Bible for Dummies I would recommend that one, Ive read it.

I need all the help I can get. And aside from the title, I love the Dummies book. They are pithy and to the point and have tons of information. Plus they are fun to read.

Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What I found useful was the illustrated bibles, think they are the Lions published ones.

Also rose publishing is good for edification of Bible times.

Always read the Bible prayerfully and you can always ask the .Author for help. USually what happens as you keep reading, adding precept upon precept, line upon line, scripture that at first is a puzzle becomes a beautiful picture of Gods love for His creation.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What I found useful was the illustrated bibles, think they are the Lions published ones.

Also rose publishing is good for edification of Bible times.

Always read the Bible prayerfully and you can always ask the .Author for help. USually what happens as you keep reading, adding precept upon precept, line upon line, scripture that at first is a puzzle becomes a beautiful picture of Gods love for His creation.

Good advice. I also just recently put the entire Bible on my mp3 player and when I'm working around the house or yard I just listen. My goal is to listen a number of times to the entire Bible in addition to personal study. It's a difference experience just listening.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, i would recommend alexandra scourby reading of KJV as hes measured and slow if you want to hear that version, some of the audio bibles they read it too fast or insert annoying music.
The bible is meant to be read out loud, and shared theres nothing wrong with gathering a group together and simply reading out loud and listeneing to each other read from it.

Another help also I found useful was Essential 100 which was also a study going through 100 chapters of the bible. 50 from old and 50 from new. But its best if you read the whole Bible first so you dont miss out anything. It may take a year or so depending on how fast at reading you are!

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
yes - not just "can ask" but always do ask the Author, He is Delighted !
The bible is meant to be read out loud, and shared theres nothing wrong with gathering a group together and simply reading out loud and listeneing to each other read from it.
yes.

Upvote 0

Kaylaherin

Kaylaherin
Sep 14, 2015
✟10,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ask God to shed His Light on it, through His Holy Spirit, and pray to be "hungry" for, and to "delight" in His Word?

That is a prayer that you can certainly pray when reading God's Word. The Lord hears our prayers.
The bible says that the 'natural man' cannot understand spiritual things. Before reading the bible pray and ask for the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Pray and ask for the Lord to reveal to you His truth in His Word.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,246.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That is a prayer that you can certainly pray when reading God's Word. The Lord hears our prayers.
The bible says that the 'natural man' cannot understand spiritual things. Before reading the bible pray and ask for the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Pray and ask for the Lord to reveal to you His truth in His Word.

Amen, sister.

Precious response.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi; this is a highly important point, and I wish a lot of so called evangelists understood this: it's not a question of putting on 'sales' pressure in order to extract some profession of faith; rather, God Himself by His Spirit must work in the heart. Acts 16.14 speaks of 'Lydia, whose heart the Lord opened'. 'The entrance of Thy Word giveth light' (Psalm 119.130).

Upvote 0