Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm the exact opposite. I don't regret it a bit. I liked the stuff I watched as a kid and I don't think most of it was drivel. And imho not everything kids watch should be intellectually-stimulating academia. Having fun and letting one's hair down isn't a crime. And besides, most of the movies and shows I watched had a point to them unlike a lot of junk nowdays. I didn't even know much less ask what sex was until I was ten years old, so I couldn't have been too sexually brainwashed! And I never knew what "gay" meant for years either. Speed Buggy and Shazam and such were Hannah Barbara classic fun shows. They weren't heady nor did they have a lesson to be learned. Scooby Doo fits in the same genre....ain't nuthin' wrong with Scoob and the gang...

I have to say that the one thing I truly regret about my childhood is the tremendous absorption of television. Sure, I could tell you everything from Speed Buggy to The Funky Phantom to Shazam/Isis, etc etc, but now I now see it as a huge waste in my life, a place, not of growing and learning, but just having my head filled with junk.

In comparison, I found that traditional Russian and yes, Soviet, stuff for kids is actually very good in terms of content, intelligence, etc.

I recently took a trip on YouTube back to see what I used to watch and I felt shame that I spent so much time on such drivel. In my kingdom people who produced such stuff for children would be shot (or at least hung over a cliff by their toes until they repented).

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was a TV junkie. I'd come home from school, watch Scooby Doo, Happy Days, the Jeffersons, Three's Company, then do my homework! LOL

Then at night I'd watch TV with my dad! LOL! I'd play with my toys in between shows! :p

I watched Saturday morning cartoons and some shows during the week like the ones you mentioned, but most of the time, I was playing outside or with my friends. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the funny thing is--do did I! I'd play basketball with my buddies for 5-6 hours straight, play in the nearby walnut grove building forts and playing army for hours and hours....skateboarding on ramps for long periods of time, playing Star Wars toys with buddies, swimming, we were always outside...and yet I watched a grip of TV, too! I must've been a renaissance kid because I watched loads of TV and lived outdoors, too! LOL..

I watched Saturday morning cartoons and some shows during the week like the ones you mentioned, but most of the time, I was playing outside or with my friends. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm the exact opposite. I don't regret it a bit. I liked the stuff I watched as a kid and I don't think most of it was drivel. And imho not everything kids watch should be intellectually-stimulating academia. Having fun and letting one's hair down isn't a crime. And besides, most of the movies and shows I watched had a point to them unlike a lot of junk nowdays. I didn't even know much less ask what sex was until I was ten years old, so I couldn't have been too sexually brainwashed! And I never knew what "gay" meant for years either. Speed Buggy and Shazam and such were Hannah Barbara classic fun shows. They weren't heady nor did they have a lesson to be learned. Scooby Doo fits in the same genre....ain't nuthin' wrong with Scoob and the gang...

You're probably right. I struggle with myself because one side wants to do everything right and be like Mother Gavrilia or some other Saint (I think she is one) and realize that most Saints, even if they weren't monastics, didn't really watch tv or at least any fun or comedic or violent shows it seems, and the only music they listened to seemed to be Orthodox hymns/chants or maybe classical, so I feel like in order for me to become a Saint (yeah, that is one of my problems right there), I feel I have to shed all these "distractions" and "worldly" things. Then, I realize how far off I am from ever being a Saint, and I become very disappointed and somewhat dismayed. I realized it hard this past week or two with the way I've been feeling. I am caught between a rock and a hard place, and I put myself in it. I need to understand that's not how it works, and that we grow in time, through our lives and it's not overnight. I get frustrated and shouldn't. I've always been too over analyzing of myself and introspective to the point of self-absorbing, imo. Anyway, so, literally, I cringe when I read your words "having fun and letting one's hair down is not a crime." It's hard for me to let that sink in and just relax and not feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Anyhow, that's just me and my issues and struggles for which my priest is well aware of. :)

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the funny thing is--do did I! I'd play basketball with my buddies for 5-6 hours straight, play in the nearby walnut grove building forts and playing army for hours and hours....skateboarding on ramps for long periods of time, playing Star Wars toys with buddies, swimming, we were always outside...and yet I watched a grip of TV, too! I must've been a renaissance kid because I watched loads of TV and lived outdoors, too! LOL..

I don't know how you fit it all in. ^_^ I usually watched tv during the evenings weeknights because I couldn't go out and play in the dark and that was something to do so I wasn't bored. I did look forward to Saturday morning cartoons, though. :blush: :)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

that was me in a nutshell too. mornings I would be watching Batman TAS and Thundercats, in the summer afternoons I would be out on my bike, playing tag, or whatever. summer evenings I was out playing Ghost in the graveyard.

in winters I was sledding and building snow forts.

I feel bad for kids who don't do that anymore.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With all the pedophiles and loons out there today, you can't let your kids do what I did---disappear into a cotton field or walnut grove for 5 hours LOL...we'd play in empty lots and you name it. Nowdays it's a culture of psychopaths, and you have to guard your kid jealously. I don't trust hardly anyone with my kids....

that was me in a nutshell too. mornings I would be watching Batman TAS and Thundercats, in the summer afternoons I would be out on my bike, playing tag, or whatever. summer evenings I was out playing Ghost in the graveyard.

in winters I was sledding and building snow forts.

I feel bad for kids who don't do that anymore.

Upvote 0

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟220,857.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
We could always go and post in the Baptist sub forum and discuss the essentials of Orthodox Christian piety, all get banned for life, and have to get more involved in local charities or something due to boredom.

Are the Baptists trigger happy with banning then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
With all the pedophiles and loons out there today, you can't let your kids do what I did---disappear into a cotton field or walnut grove for 5 hours LOL...we'd play in empty lots and you name it. Nowdays it's a culture of psychopaths, and you have to guard your kid jealously. I don't trust hardly anyone with my kids....

yeah, plus kids nowadays would rather sit around and play Temple Run on an iPhone.

sad times.

Upvote 0

wynd

Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2006
North Texas
✟9,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

N2FEP.gif

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually have no idea what that game is?

You know, there was this episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I'm not sure if anyone remembers it. It was called "The Game." These aliens sneak this highly-addictive game onto the Enterprise that steadily captivates and mesmerizes the player into a type of stupor in which all they care about is escalating their levels of the game higher and higher and higher. Amid all the play, they become brainwashed by the aliens and help them infiltrate the ship.

I swear that episode was so prophetic. The world we live in looks so much like that!

yeah, plus kids nowadays would rather sit around and play Temple Run on an iPhone.

sad times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

You should read Free Range Kids. There really are not more weirdos out there - the chances of your kid being hurt in a walnut grove are much smaller than the chance of them being killed in the car on the way to the movies with their parents.

Our ability to judge risk has been really impacted by the media.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Darn it, looks like I was the only one under military regime from day one. That's it, dad and I are going to have a serious conversation next time I see him.

Nah, our TV was limited when I was a kid ...

Sunday evenings, "Wonderful World of Disney"
One weekday a week, "Get Smart"
Sometimes other programs or movies - not much, though.

The only cartoon that was considered "ok" was "Caspar the Friendly Ghost", though I do recall watching "Mighty Mouse" and "Felix the Cat".

I did used to wake up at 5am on Sat. to 'sneak' my favorite cartoon -
"Krazy Kat". George Herriman is still one of my favorite comic artists ...

And when my parents were off on errands, I did watch movies on
"Chiller Theatre"

But as this is US, none of that will have much meaning ^_^

But suffice to say - not much TV in my youth ...

Reactions: nestoj
Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nah, our TV was limited when I was a kid ...

Sunday evenings, "Wonderful World of Disney"
One weekday a week, "Get Smart"
Sometimes other programs or movies - not much, though.

The only cartoon that was considered "ok" was "Caspar the Friendly Ghost", though I do recall watching "Mighty Mouse" and "Felix the Cat".

I did used to wake up at 5am on Sat. to 'sneak' my favorite cartoon -
"Krazy Kat". George Herriman is still one of my favorite comic artists ...

And when my parents were off on errands, I did watch movies on
"Chiller Theatre"

But as this is US, none of that will have much meaning ^_^

But suffice to say - not much TV in my youth ...

I knew there's a reason why I think you're genius, sis! ^_^

Good to to see you're back in sharky waters of GT. Will join as soon as I find enough will to do it. :D

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just socially out of the loop as a kid - everyone talked about TV and movies ...
...while you'd rather discuss the position of clergy within the laity and, if the laity is derived from λαός, wouldn't that include all of people, including clergy. :p

See, that's what I've said - genius! ^_^

Upvote 0