Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we're just all in a rut and need to come up with fresh, new threads that aren't so theologically heady and overwhelming or controversial. Maybe we need to take the time to address things not normally discussed...

Thread Ideas:

1.) Why did God create the Kardashians?
2.) Seinfeld thread reborn: the show about nothing is back to TAW!
3.) OT Dare: don't mention transexuals, Muslims, evolution, or Frank Schaeffer, Father Seraphim Rose, extraterrestrials, or JLA vs. the Avengers for 100 posts!

4.) OT: Are you upset that Superman won't be having his usual shorts in the upcoming Man of Steel movie?

5.) Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro: which would you take home?

6.) Liturgical Bloopers: censers coming open and flying hot coals part I

7.) OT Dare: mention the name "Putin" without an opinion attached! LOL

8.) OT: Rusmeister must give up mentioning GK Chesterton and CS Lewis for all of Great Lent

9.) Worst movies of all time thread 2013

10.) If you had to do one of the following or die, which would you rather do?----kiss Bela Abzug for an extended amount of time, or go to a Justin Beiber concert?

11.) Ideas for mystery Orthodox board games in the tradition of Clue--"who poisoned the baklava?"

12.) Name 10 actors uglier than Eleanor Roosevelt and Anne Ramsey?

Ok, I've given my ideas...LOL:p^_^
^_^ ^_^ I literally let out a loud laugh when I read #11. ^_^

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. I suspect as often as you mention them in disdain, it was to torment you
2. Starting those threads was a job assigned to you and you're kind of slacking on it!
4. Don't throw anything at me but I wasn't planning on watching it.
5. I use to own 64 mustang, it's what I learned to drive in actually.
6. Does this go with the thread someone started about funny moments in the Liturgy?
7. I read somewhere that when George W. first met Putin he got him to warm up by asking Putin about the cross his mother gave him.
8. He'd probably make you give up Rush, Star Trek, and Seinfeld in return.
11. HMMM, my guess would be Joseph, at the Agape meal, in a Serbian Church because he is not a fan of it and has said often it's overrated.

I have no thoughts on the rest of the list but thanks for the laugh.
^_^ ^_^

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I hadn't noticed anything, but I haven't had time to post as often. Sometimes I look for things to respond to so I don't get out of habit and out of the community lol.

Well, you're back in the community with this post. :p :D

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe we're just all in a rut and need to come up with fresh, new threads that aren't so theologically heady and overwhelming or controversial. Maybe we need to take the time to address things not normally discussed...

Thread Ideas:

3.) OT Dare: don't mention transexuals, Muslims, evolution, or Frank Schaeffer, Father Seraphim Rose, extraterrestrials, or JLA vs. the Avengers for 100 posts!

4.) OT: Are you upset that Superman won't be having his usual shorts in the upcoming Man of Steel movie?

8.) OT: Rusmeister must give up mentioning GK Chesterton and CS Lewis for all of Great Lent

10.) If you had to do one of the following or die, which would you rather do?----kiss Bela Abzug for an extended amount of time, or go to a Justin Beiber concert?

11.) Ideas for mystery Orthodox board games in the tradition of Clue--"who poisoned the baklava?"

1. Don't know.
2. Don't care.
3. I think I may be able to do that one.
4. Don't care.
5. None. Don't care about what make and model of a car is. Just whether it is reliable and is easy to drive. :D
6. Yes, I've heard of that. ;)
7. All right. :D
8. Oh, that's too harsh!
9. Yeah, that's a good idea. Think I'll start that if you don't. :p
10. I don't know who Bela Azbug is and I don't want to go to Justin's concert.
11. I like gracefullamb's answer. :p
12. ^_^ That is too hysterical.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Gurney: I will up the ante.

Could we not mention transsexuals, Muslims, evolution, Frank Schaeffer, extraterrestrials, toll houses, or JLA vs. the Avengers for the duration of Great Lent (starting on Cheesefare Sunday)?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're on....(note that you didn't mention Seinfeld, Rush, or other comic book characters, so I'm still in bidness!) ^_^

Gurney: I will up the ante.

Could we not mention transsexuals, Muslims, evolution, Frank Schaeffer, extraterrestrials, toll houses, or JLA vs. the Avengers for the duration of Great Lent (starting on Cheesefare Sunday)?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're on....(note that you didn't mention Seinfeld, Rush, or other comic book characters, so I'm still in bidness!) ^_^

oops!

Well, we do have those Grumpy Orthocats so we are not completely deprived of our sense of humor.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not sure how old you are, GL. I'm 38 now (as of a couple weeks ago). As a kid, I remember HBO and it wasn't the perverted mess that it is now. You could come home from school and watch a bunch of movies that were pretty clean. Time Bandits was one of them.

One of the funniest movies EVER...Terry Gilliam IS a genius. You're right. The guy knew how to think outside the box and notice the absurdities of life and make light of them.

I just love the little stuff about Time Bandits. I love the plastic on the furniture and living room in Kevin's parents' house. Then you see plastic wrapped around the devil and his minions. Hilarious. I watched an interview with Gilliam on the extra features part of the DVD and he said to Michael Palin that he thought it would hilarious to put plastic everywhere whenever there was a character we were supposed to hate LOL....

I also loved how Napoleon was obsessed with his height (or lack thereof) LOL! Ian Holm was awesome in that part...hilarious

Not on HBO I don't, I didn't even know what HBO was until I was in high school and spent the night at a friend's house. My parents didn't have anything beyond basic TV until the late 90s. In fact until that point they had one of those old TV's from the 70s (?) that are actually a piece of furniture, with a record player on one side and bar on the other. I do know Time Bandits though, I think I wore out our VHS of that as a kid. Terry Gilliam is a genius, Time Bandits and Brazil are my two favorite movies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a TV junkie. I'd come home from school, watch Scooby Doo, Happy Days, the Jeffersons, Three's Company, then do my homework! LOL

Then at night I'd watch TV with my dad! LOL! I'd play with my toys in between shows! :p

LOL My parents didn't have cable because they couldn't see a reason to pay for it, it had nothing to do with them protecting us from what was on the screen and everything to do with no one at home to watch the TV that often. Since we didn't have cable and to be honest since I didn't watch much TV, I really didn't know what any of the cable stations were until about high school. Truth be told my parents didn't even have a TV until the 70s, my mother was pregnant and in the second month the doctors put her on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. My dad bought a TV because she became bored out of her mind. He thought that might keep her entertained for a bit each day. I suspect if not for that, my parents wouldn't have had a TV when I came along.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The funny thing is, I played a LOT with toys, rode my bike everywhere it seems, skateboarding, played soccer and basketball on teams for years, liked to help garden in the backyard, was a reading junkie, and yet I somehow managed to watch A LOT of TV in there! LOL....

I'm pretty much a walking encyclopedia of television history. The people at work crack up at me. I'm their data base LOL

My brothers and I usually were not home until just before dinner, we all had so many extracurricular activities, even when I was very young. Then after dinner it was homework and if we were done before bed we could watch something, though we usually played video games more than watch TV. Like I said it was nothing to do with sheltering us, quite the contrary with my parents.

I never noticed the detail of the halo in your avatar before. I did get the movie the picture and name are from though.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
it always gives me a good chuckle that Fr. Seraphim Rose is controversial here in America. we Americans are so dumb, and the rest of the Orthodox world agrees.
No you're not...you just get into technicalities more than healthy and, therefore, forget the big picture. I guess most of the Americans here would make fine engineers. Oh, and you're way to stiff...sometimes I get a feeling, if I'd presented you with some of mine wackier jokes, half of you people would faint. Of course, I know it's an absolutely wrong impression...that's why it's a feeling - subjective thing. Maybe it's the medium of communication's fault...God knows it's hard to see the intention and mindset behind a letters on the screen.

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Thread Ideas:

10 - seen the pictures of the lady in question. Just listened, for a first time, some song of this Beiber entity. My choice would be to die.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,811.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to say that the one thing I truly regret about my childhood is the tremendous absorption of television. Sure, I could tell you everything from Speed Buggy to The Funky Phantom to Shazam/Isis, etc etc, but now I now see it as a huge waste in my life, a place, not of growing and learning, but just having my head filled with junk.

In comparison, I found that traditional Russian and yes, Soviet, stuff for kids is actually very good in terms of content, intelligence, etc.

I recently took a trip on YouTube back to see what I used to watch and I felt shame that I spent so much time on such drivel. In my kingdom people who produced such stuff for children would be shot (or at least hung over a cliff by their toes until they repented).

Upvote 0

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have to say that the one thing I truly regret about my childhood is the tremendous absorption of television. Sure, I could tell you everything from Speed Buggy to The Funky Phantom to Shazam/Isis, etc etc, but now I now see it as a huge waste in my life, a place, not of growing and learning, but just having my head filled with junk.

In comparison, I found that traditional Russian and yes, Soviet, stuff for kids is actually very good in terms of content, intelligence, etc.

I recently took a trip on YouTube back to see what I used to watch and I felt shame that I spent so much time on such drivel. In my kingdom people who produced such stuff for children would be shot (or at least hung over a cliff by their toes until they repented).

Russians had great animated movies in the 80s. Loved watching them. We also had some great educational programs. God bless Timothy John Byford. He made my childhood much more interesting. Anyway, I, as a kid, was allowed by my parents to watch tv from 10 AM - 12 AM (that's when educational shows would be airing) and from 7PM - 7:15PM (a cartoon). That's it. Come to think of it, even that much was more than really needed.

Upvote 0