Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
And I do take issue w/Obama on that. Nor do I have any indication that Romney will do anything on these issues - he hasn't even addressed them.
Given his Mass. governing style (as CEO, not as governor), I can't see that he has any problem with accreting undue power to himself. Further, he is an insider in a crony model -- another indication of his diffidence toward democracy.

You correlate this downfall with one president, but ignore the long-term decline and origin of this decline.

Romney was a financier - and financialization of the economy is a big part of this decline.

Romney is pro-deregulation, Ryan even moreso -- deregulation is a huge contributing factor in the decline of the middle class.

Romney was an advocate for offshoring and move to part time vs. full time jobs (see for ex. the ratio of full vs. pt positions at Staples).

Romney was part of the move to business interest in quarterly profit instead of long-term growth and value creation.

Romney was a wealth extractor, not value creator.

Romney was fine with sucking govt. funds when it suited his personal agenda -- Bain captured pension funds, a form of middle class deferred compensation and left the govt. insurance program to pay instead.
-- Romney asked and received 1.5 billion taxpayer dollars for the Olympics (the most expensive US Olympics ever, even exceeding the Atlanta Summer games) and preferred his cronies for associated projects (which in turn was a boon for his Mass. office run).

Obama was in office when the effect of policies and practices finally hit.
Romney was part of the creation of those practices.

Looks to me like the drop started in early 2009 when Obama took office to me. And, I can personally testify to the fact that I've never gone more than 18 months without a raise, yet in the last 4 years since Obama has been in office, I have received ONE.

Your argument on deregulation is very specific to one problem created in 1999 when Bill Clinton signed a law that allowed mortgage means testing to go by the wayside. Romney's plans for deregulation are specifically targeted to increase the economy. He emphasized several times in the second debate that we NEED regulations. Just good ones.

"Offshoring" is going to happen unless you are prepared to shut down trade. Romney has a more credible plan to bring China to the bargaining table. However, the better idea is to focus on INSOURCING. Bringing work back home.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Looks to me like the drop started in early 2009 when Obama took office to me. And, I can personally testify to the fact that I've never gone more than 18 months without a raise, yet in the last 4 years since Obama has been in office, I have received ONE.
Please read the article:
Sorry, U.S. Recoveries Really Aren’t Different - Bloomberg
The crisis started in 2007, and Lehman crashed in 2008.
Reinhart and Rogoff date the crisis onset to 2007 -- and demonstrate the unemployment rate (and other rates) as lag effects peaking four years out from the crisis onset. This is typical in a financial crisis of the kind we experienced in '07-'08.
Their study considers over 240 crises, and conclude that in comparison this recovery is "positively brisk".

Your argument on deregulation is very specific to one problem created in 1999 when Bill Clinton signed a law that allowed mortgage means testing to go by the wayside. Romney's plans for deregulation are specifically targeted to increase the economy. He emphasized several times in the second debate that we NEED regulations. Just good ones.
Deregulation started under Reagan and has indeed been a bipartisan effort.
And every time, we are told this will "benefit" the economy -- which is demonstrable hogwash -- unless you consider the present economic state to be "beneficial".
Romney's economic advisor, Hubbard, championed the completely unregulated shadow banking sector, and specifically CDSs, as guaranteeing stability in the economy. Guess which financial product were the chief contributors to the crash ? CDSs.

"Offshoring" is going to happen unless you are prepared to shut down trade. Romney has a more credible plan to bring China to the bargaining table. However, the better idea is to focus on INSOURCING. Bringing work back home.

Starting a trade war and currency war with China is not a "plan".
This administration has won every suit against China in the WTO, and has brought more suits against China than any other administration.

Offshoring is fine for products being sold abroad. And some will happen, you're right. But it is no solution to our economic crisis, and contributed to the erosion of the middle class.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, it bottomed out in March 2009, but it started, as Merope said, in 2007. Are you really blaming your lack of a raise on Obama?^_^

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If Obama wins are you going to reject the idea of Bible codes ?

Sun_small.jpg

They tend to shift to give room for more information after things don't work out---like the people saying the rapture was going to happen in the 70s and then saying that the truth was that God had originally planned on it but decided to change his mind to add more people.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Does Bible code predict President Romney?

and this:

Psalm 112 Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in his commandments.
2 His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.
4 Unto the upright there ariseth light in the darkness: he is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous.
5 A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.
6 Surely he shall not be moved for ever: the righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.
7 He shall not be afraid of evil tidings: his heart is fixed, trusting in the Lord.
8 His heart is established, he shall not be afraid, until he see his desire upon his enemies.
9 He hath dispersed, he hath given to the poor; his righteousness endureth for ever; his horn shall be exalted with honour.
10 The wicked shall see it, and be grieved; he shall gnash with his teeth, and melt away: the desire of the wicked shall perish.

Kinda describes Romney vs the democrats in 2012.
Is "GenevieveM" making the assumption that Mormons are Christians?

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I was reading a thread in the Baptism forum, where an elder stated that Mormons meet the test of faith in Christ through the resurrection. While we disagree with practices and doctrine, the fundamental is there. I happen to disagree with practices of other Orthodox Christian denominations, but that doesn't make them less of a Christian.
Perhaps "Jeffwhosoever" would care to revise his assessment!

1. Most Christians do not believe that a group Israelites sailed to North America prior to the Vikings and Christopher Columbus.

2. Most Christians do not believe that an angel named "Moroni" directed Joseph Smith Book to a find a new book of the Bible written on golden plates describing the Judeo-Christian history of an ancient American civilization.

3. Most Christians do not believe that the Book of Mormon found in 1830 in western New York was inspired by God and should be included in the Bible. No other Christian denomination, orthodox or otherwise, have rently added new Books to the Bible and certainly none that were "discovered" in western New York State.

4. Most Christians do not believe that Joseph Smith was God's prophet, the eqivalent to a 19thC Moses or Elijah.

5. Most Christians do not believe that Joseph Smith had a vision from God in 1820 where he was told that all existing Christian churches had "turned aside from the gospel."

6. Most Christians do not believe that Joseph Smith heard the voices of Peter, James, John and John the Baptist ordaining him to a higher priesthood.

7. Most Christians do not believe that the Bible was corrupted over time and required Smith to rewrite parts to restore it to its original intent - including Smith's reintroduction of lost accounts.

8. Most Christians do not believe in proxy baptism of the dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
All of my cereal was O's this morning. clearly prophecy for Obama.

My cereal this morning was Count Chocula...clearly a prophecy for Count Chocula as president. I would SO vote for Count Chocula.

Actually I'm lying...I'm in Spain right now and you can't get Count Chocula at this hotel. No matter how loudly you ask in English.

(And note: it's getting harder to get it in the US what with it only coming out about this time of year....still it's all good.)

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
Looks to me like the drop started in early 2009 when Obama took office to me.

Oh c'mon, man, you are more savvy than that! Wages took a beating because the economy has gone in the dumpster. That started back in 2008 and was set in motion by actions going back many, many years before. Arguably the mess we are now in started decades ago as we systematically reduced oversite of the financial and lending sectors.

To assume that somehow 2009 was when it all went to trash is ridiculous.

Bush was in office when the mess started (not that he was directly responsible for it any more than any other single president is ever responsible for these things) and in fact he started the ball rolling which Obama kept rolling.

But the economy has to burn itself through this as it always does. The best a prez can do is make it work out OK for the citizens by supporting legislation that will help get us through.

And, I can personally testify to the fact that I've never gone more than 18 months without a raise, yet in the last 4 years since Obama has been in office, I have received ONE.

Interestingly enough from 2005 to 2010 I had all of 2% worth of raise and one year with a mandatory 5% pay cut for everyone. Nothing to do with which president was in office, more to do with the "macroeconomic headwinds" the company I work for suffered.

Those are due to changes in the market and global economics as much as anything. Oh yeah and my company's penchant for "benchmarking" against their peer corporations so as not to pay their people too much.

That's what you get when you have GOOD BUSINESS PEOPLE in charge.

Your argument on deregulation is very specific to one problem created in 1999 when Bill Clinton signed a law that allowed mortgage means testing to go by the wayside.

Deregulation on behalf of the housing market actually goes back further to the end of the Carter administration and the push to get more people into houses, which Reagan also accelerated and piled onto with even more deregulation in the banking sector. Bush II was big on the "ownership society" which pushed for even more lending.

But it wasn't anyone FORCING the banks to lend to high risk people once the bankers found a way to MONETIZE that risk. Naked default swaps became the way for someone to bet on people NOT paying their loans and then making MONEY off of that (as I understand it).

So once it became profitable to make money off of other people's failure to pay back loans the sluice gates were opened.

Romney lost his leverage with China from the git-go by taking China on. China is peeved that Romney could be so nakedly hypocritical. China owns us by and large and watches us scream and cry about China and how bad they are. But now we face a Romney presidency I think the Chinese would be peeved that he made money off shipping jobs over there only to lambaste them.

Romney has no leg to stand on with China. He knows what they do and what they are doing all to well. And every time the dollar was strong I bet Romney was fine with offshoring of production, when the dollar was weak I'm sure he was just as fine with on shoring.

Romney cares about one thing: Romney. Money, money, money is what a professional financier worries about. He is an expert in making his own nut.

As such you can count on nothing in the way of a particular coherent strategy as president. This is a country, not a business. Can't lay off states.

Offshoring happens because it is EXPEDIENT to make corporate profits by cutting OPEX. Onshoring is only reasonable this day and age when the dollar is weak.

This is fine and dandy for businesses who owe no allegiance to ANYONE, but it is extremely bad for a President whose only allegiance is to THIS country.

Romney wouldn't know what that felt like.

Upvote 0

Merope

Apr 29, 2011
✟1,726.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Oh my...I seem to have created a monster. I was just saying that Romney is a lying liar bound for the flames of Hell like anyone who supports him. Not that there was anything wrong with Mormonism, besides it being a lie that anyone who believes in is going to Hell for.

Upvote 0

Quincunx

Sep 27, 2012
✟1,094.00
Faith
Atheist
Oh my...I seem to have created a monster. I was just saying that Romney is a lying liar bound for the flames of Hell like anyone who supports him. Not that there was anything wrong with Mormonism, besides it being a lie that anyone who believes in is going to Hell for.

But you see, as I understand it, the Mormons gain comfort from this for some reason. Perhaps it is the cold nights in Utah that make them yearn for the fires of hell to warm them.

Who knows why anyone would believe in such lies? But believe it they do and cling to it....like a religion or somethin'!

Wow! Wacky. Strange, strange people. And I once heard about a group of people who believe in a god who manifested himself on earth so he could get his creation to kill him and sacrifice himself to himself to atone man to himself for sins against him. And then he raised himself from the dead so he could come back to himself apparently.

At least that's a rational belief system. Unlike Mormonism!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LionofJudahDK

Sep 26, 2012
Aarhus, Denmark
✟1,576.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

My brain isn't working at 100% at the moment...but...I assume that you're not being serious?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

not_sure_if_person_serious.jpg

Upvote 0