Not open for further replies.

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The POINT hasn't been that there shouldn't be consequences, the POINT has been that they were KIDS, and as Christians, we should be more understanding of that fact. Their intent, as they even said themselves, wasn't to hurt the girls. They aren't criminals, they are KIDS, and shouldn't have to be punished as though they were criminals. Did you see the examples I gave in my post about the kid who shoplifted, and my husband? By your way of thinking, with the law being the law and it is final, that kid could have gone to prison, and my husband would have gone to jail for 5 years, wouldn't even have finished HS. Would be a nobody, and for something that was a complete and utter mistake. Just like this was, a mistake.

Punish the boys, yes. Suspend them, expel them, send them to counciling. But don't expect them to behave like adults, when they're just kids. Maybe their parents teach them right from wrong, maybe they don't. If not, then it's not entirely the kids fault. And no, kids don't naturally "just know" when something is right or wrong, especially if their parents let them watch those kids of movies. And, if they let them watch those movies they should say, "That's not appropriate or acceptable. You will get in trouble if you do that to anyone." They're KIDS and kids are highly influenceable, and unless taught correctly, not as smart as adults.

E

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about are OUR actions. I'm talking about OUR mercy.

You give me render unto Caesar, I give you the unjust steward. But I'm going to be really blunt here: don't call yourself a Christian if discussing mercy and forgiveness are not even on the table. Don't pretend that you love Christ if you can't contemplate anything other than handcuffing, arrest and criminal charges for two boys who were misguided and wrong but could have been taught another way. Seriously, how can you even think of saying that you are a person of faith if considering a more merciful way of behaving might have worked is unthinkable to you?
McScribe, don't tell me not to call myself a Christian because of x y and z. That's not appropriate at all. You don't get to decide that I'm not a Christian because I don't agree with you.

Whatever I believe as a Christian, I am not the arbiter of law and order. I can't decide personally that those boys were or were not to be handcuffed, were or were not to be arrested. Whether I believe they should or not does not make me any more or less of a Christian. As a Christian I believe in justice, along with mercy. Where would the justice be in letting the boys go without reproof, or correction? Where are the consequences? Children who are not reproved or corrected and never face consequences tend to carry on with the behavior. I have seen that in my own kids.

Mercy was given to the boys. They were released - and their victims were the ones that asked for their release. Maybe the girls were pressured into that, I don't know. However, they got mercy. I hope that they genuinely learned a lesson and that they (the boys) don't turn this event into a deep churning hatred for females, because females done them wrong by complaining about their behavior. I really do hope that. I also hope that the girls were not harmed to where they mistrust males because of what was done to them.

Upvote 0

Created2Write

His Pink Princess
Mar 12, 2010
Oregon
✟13,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No has had there shouldn't be consequences. There SHOULD be consequences, and there were. What HAS been said is that it's one thing to punish KIDS, it's another thing entirely to punish kids as though they were adults, which from my understanding, has been exactly what some in this thread have advocated. Their actions were not intended to harm or hurt, as they themselves said. Punishing them as though they were criminals is the only thing that has been countered here, not punishment altogether.

THAT is why McScribe is so upset. You've misunderstood him over and over again. All he and I(and Faith and others) have been trying to say is that these kids are JUST KIDS, they didn't intend to harm anyone, and shouldn't be punished as though they were adults. Our point is that they aren't criminals. Period. We aren't saying they shouldn't be punished. In fact, we've said countless times that they SHOULD be punished, but that the actions taken may not have been necessary....due to the fact that they were KIDS.

If you don't agree, then fine, but please stop making him and I and others out to be against the boys being punished, when we're not. The boys deserved punishment. We just don't believe the punishment should have been as extreme as it was, nor do we believe the boys were criminals, as some here seemed to believe they were/are.

Upvote 0

Conservativation

Jun 18, 2009
✟13,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No has had there shouldn't be consequences. There SHOULD be consequences, and there were. What HAS been said is that it's one thing to punish KIDS, it's another thing entirely to punish kids as though they were adults, which from my understanding, has been exactly what some in this thread have advocated. Their actions were not intended to harm or hurt, as they themselves said. Punishing them as though they were criminals is the only thing that has been countered here, not punishment altogether.

Good luck. You are talking to a wall.

Unless you fully and simply endorse what happened...OR recommend worse....you are seen as favoring zero punishment.

Your speech is thus controlled

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2009
Canada
✟16,558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What Cons said. And Jane is so sure shes right. I mean for pages we've been trying to get to the point where alternatives could be discussed, but these women don't want to. And they are of course right by the letter of the law.

By the letter of the law homosexuality is still illegal in some states but...never mind. Why am I even writing? There is no point in this.

I would like to end this topic. I'm asking people to stop posting here so the thread can be closed.

Upvote 0

JaneFW

Aug 12, 2005
IRL
✟11,369.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only thing I have posited, is that it was a crime. And it was - according to the law of this country. Not that they should be imprisoned, chemically castrated - all that hysterical nonsense - but that they should face the consequences of a criminal act, yes.

And some people have stated that it was just kids, just boys, just acting out, just hormones and that they should have just called their parents or whatever. I disagree. I don't care if boys and girls are walking around some HS's with their hands permanently on each others butts, it's not appropriate behavior, and I would wonder what the principal is about in letting it go on. Just because some school personnel don't care about that, doesn't mean that all kids at all schools have to accept it as part of normal teenage behavior.

These boys were punished by the arrest, by the handcuffs, by being taken to court - I'm sure it was a frightening experience. Probably just as frightening as having your private parts groped by two boys without your consent. Maybe. Like I already said, I hope that they all move on from this and the boys learned something about boundaries. They were sorely in need of learning that lesson.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.