666=Nero Caesar

Status
Not open for further replies.

constant

Aug 28, 2005
✟222.00
Faith
Christian
I was watching the History channel last night and they made mention that the number 666 (the mark of the beast) when translated in Hebrew, means Nero Caesar. I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this. I was also thinking, in terms of end times, perhaps it was not refering to Nero but that the AntiChrist would be the leader of the "revised" Roman Empire. A modern day Caesar.

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
That program is sooooo old. I taped it and watched it this a.m. Both the narrator and the woman reading the Bible verses are dead - in the 90's I think. :)

They did keep talking about the Book of Revelation, but kept showing a guy writing Hebrew right to left, but the pages were numbered from left to right - very hokey!

Reactions: snoochface
Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
OhhJim said:
Revelation was written in Greek, not Hebrew.

I do believe my name = 666 in Mandarin Chinese, not that it matters.

Ha ha ha - I thought you wrote Mandarin Cheese! I was trying to figure out what that was! :D

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
vinsight4u said:
The 666 part as to understanding it and tying it in with the name of blapshemy comes from that fact that Solomon had 666 talents of gold.

1 Kings 10:14

I think sometimes we try to connect things that are just coincidences.

There is nothing inherently blasphemous about gold, or Solomon, or talents. Solomon had to have some amount of gold. I figure the odds were about 400-1 that the amount would be 666, not, say, 575. That's not really long odds.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟217,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
constant said:
I was watching the History channel last night and they made mention that the number 666 (the mark of the beast) when translated in Hebrew, means Nero Caesar.
It isn't quite as simple as that, but yeah, St. John seems to have been talking about Nero. He obviously expected the people receiving his revelation to understand who he was talking about, and I'm sure they did.

was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this. I was also thinking, in terms of end times, perhaps it was not refering to Nero but that the AntiChrist would be the leader of the "revised" Roman Empire. A modern day Caesar.
That's the current American version of the thing, working on the assumption that the Revelation meant absolutely nothing to the people to whom it was originally written, and that all the repeated warnings that the events foretold there would happen "soon" and that they were "even at the door" was empty verbiage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
vinsight4u said:
Solomon recorded that he didn't number the vessels.
They were not weighed.
So Belshazzar deserved a sin number, but the number wasn't known.
So he went wanting.
as in something lacked to find it out

As in Ecclesiastes 1:15.
....that which is wanting cannot be numbered."

So then, everything which is not numbered must be related?

I'm still not seeing a connection between King Nebbie, and Solomon and the number 666 and the AC. Just that some of their stuff wasn't numbered. Some of my stuff isn't numbered, either. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Markea

Aug 3, 2005
✟6,561.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First of all... Nebuchadnezzar gives his testimony in Daniel 4.. he believed in God and says so plainly.. see 4:34 especially..

Secondly.. the latter portion of Revelation 19 makes it perfectly clear that the BEAST will be alive when the Lord comes with all His saints..as he (the beast) is gathered together with the kings of the earth to make war with the Lamb.. AND this is when he is taken along with the false prophet and thrown into the lake of fire..

ALL of this shows that the beast is a future reality.. unless you're one of the preterists who insist that the Lord already came back.. but not too many folks fall for that lie..

2 Thess 2 affirms the same thing.. that the LORD will destroy the man of sin with the brightness of His coming..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

justified

Oct 8, 2005
✟8,831.00
Faith
Protestant
I was watching the History channel last night and they made mention that the number 666 (the mark of the beast) when translated in Hebrew, means Nero Caesar. I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this. I was also thinking, in terms of end times, perhaps it was not refering to Nero but that the AntiChrist would be the leader of the "revised" Roman Empire. A modern day Caesar.

I'm not going to interpret what it means for you, but yes, this is correct. I have written a paper on this elsewhere. Herein I included another thread's post that I wrote (to see the Hebrew, go to "view-->encoding" and find "hebrew":

----
The author of the Apocalypse TELLS us how to figure out what he is talking about. Rev. 13.18, my translation: Now this is wisdom. The one who has a mind, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number of a man, and the his number is six hundred sixty six.

The author tells his readers exactly how to do it. And we know how to do it because there is rabbinic material that tells us, as well as Maccabean coins which give the values of certain hebrew letters. For example, tov = 400 or aleph = 1; wav is 6 because it's the sixth letter; qoph is 100 because that's what it is (ask the rabbis). What happens when you use the aramaic way of spelling, is that you can get QSRNRWN (קסרנרון) which is the way an Ancient Jew would spell "Caesar Nero."

If that wasn't enough for you -- I'm sure it isn't -- we have confirmation. Notice that we call Nero Nero, not NERON. That's because in Aramaic his name had the nun (N=ן) but in Latin it did not (kind of like Miriam in Hebrew and Mary in Latin). Irenaeus mentions, and several manuscripts of Revelation contain, the number 616 instead of 666, which happens to be a difference of 50, the exact representation of nun in hebrew numerology, giving the Hebrew קסרנרו).

It does not matter that the Apocalypse was written in Greek; it was written TO people who read both Hebrew and Greek; using Hebrew gematriya is a technique still in use today among rabbis, and was begun in the intertestamental period on Maccabean coins.
----

Upvote 0

silbadaavgi

Oct 11, 2005
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
justified said:
I'm not going to interpret what it means for you, but yes, this is correct. I have written a paper on this elsewhere. Herein I included another thread's post that I wrote (to see the Hebrew, go to "view-->encoding" and find "hebrew":

----
The author of the Apocalypse TELLS us how to figure out what he is talking about. Rev. 13.18, my translation: Now this is wisdom. The one who has a mind, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number of a man, and the his number is six hundred sixty six.

The author tells his readers exactly how to do it. And we know how to do it because there is rabbinic material that tells us, as well as Maccabean coins which give the values of certain hebrew letters. For example, tov = 400 or aleph = 1; wav is 6 because it's the sixth letter; qoph is 100 because that's what it is (ask the rabbis). What happens when you use the aramaic way of spelling, is that you can get QSRNRWN (קסרנרון) which is the way an Ancient Jew would spell "Caesar Nero."

If that wasn't enough for you -- I'm sure it isn't -- we have confirmation. Notice that we call Nero Nero, not NERON. That's because in Aramaic his name had the nun (N=ן) but in Latin it did not (kind of like Miriam in Hebrew and Mary in Latin). Irenaeus mentions, and several manuscripts of Revelation contain, the number 616 instead of 666, which happens to be a difference of 50, the exact representation of nun in hebrew numerology, giving the Hebrew קסרנרו).

It does not matter that the Apocalypse was written in Greek; it was written TO people who read both Hebrew and Greek; using Hebrew gematriya is a technique still in use today among rabbis, and was begun in the intertestamental period on Maccabean coins.
----

Let's look up the relevant verse in Rev 13:18:

"This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666."

If you were going to calculate the number of the beast, would you calculate or guess? By the way, there are actually two numbers for the beast, the other one mentioned in Rev 13:5:

"The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty-two months. "

So which number are you supposed to calculate, the one already given as terminus a quo or the "42-month" period of the beast? If you calculate the number 666, WHICH IS "MAN'S NUMBER', you show how you arrive at the year 666 AD (AD = Anno Domini = the number of (years from) the man Jesus' birth). If you calculate "42-months" you arrive at the length of the beast's period of time, as given in Scripture. So, what are you going to calculate? That you must first find out before even trying to calculate.

Kind greetings from me
the witness of God
silbadaavgi

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vinsight4u said:
... making him the one dead head that must come back to rule nations again.

jerry_bway_big.gif

Ta-Da!

Reactions: OhhJim
Upvote 0

justified

Oct 8, 2005
✟8,831.00
Faith
Protestant
So which number are you supposed to calculate, the one already given as terminus a quo or the "42-month" period of the beast? If you calculate the number 666, WHICH IS "MAN'S NUMBER', you show how you arrive at the year 666 AD (AD = Anno Domini = the number of (years from) the man Jesus' birth). If you calculate "42-months" you arrive at the length of the beast's period of time, as given in Scripture. So, what are you going to calculate? That you must first find out before even trying to calculate.
What are you talking about? First of all, read the text (Rev. 13:16-18, emphasis mine):

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no-one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man’s number. His number is 666.

What this text tells us is that first, the number, the identity of the beast, and his name are all the same. So, the number represents the Beast's name, and also, it says that the beast is a MAN, since it is a man's number!

Secondly, by inviting the reader to calculate it, it means that the reader would be able to caculate it. This limits the calculations to things that the general reader of this book would be able to do. Playing calendrical games would have been impossible for the Jew of the Anatolian Dispersion because they had no calendar like hours; Jesus was nowhere near being placed at "1 AD" (which was an incorrect date for his birth anyways).

Upvote 0

silbadaavgi

Oct 11, 2005
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
justified said:
What are you talking about? First of all, read the text (Rev. 13:16-18, emphasis mine):

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no-one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man’s number. His number is 666.).

My comment:
Revelation 3:18
"I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see."

As you can see from Rev 3:18 there is a spiritually meant buying which means "believing/belief/faith" like there is a spiritually meant selling which is "teaching/preaching". This spiritual buying makes any person capable of covering his/her shameful nakedness, i.e. sinful state. There is also a mark mentioned in Scripture (Rev 7:2), but by that mark God's people are marked:

"Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having THE SEAL OF THE LIVING GOD."

The seal of the living God is the NAME of the living God, even the NEW NAME, as can be seen from Rev 3:12:

Revelation 3:12
"Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name."

This name of the city of God has also got a number, namely as seen in Dan 9:27, i.e. IN THE MIDST OF THE WEEK, for at that time Jesus Christ died for our sins.

So therefore, there is something more to the calculation of the beast's number.

What this text tells us is that first, the number, the identity of the beast, and his name are all the same. So, the number represents the Beast's name, and also, it says that the beast is a MAN, since it is a man's number!

Secondly, by inviting the reader to calculate it, it means that the reader would be able to caculate it. This limits the calculations to things that the general reader of this book would be able to do. Playing calendrical games would have been impossible for the Jew of the Anatolian Dispersion because they had no calendar like hours; Jesus was nowhere near being placed at "1 AD" (which was an incorrect date for his birth anyways).

My comment:
No, the beast is defined in Scripture not as a man but as a beast with seven heads and ten horns. The number of the beast and the number of (the definite) man does not make the BEAST and the MAN the same entity. The beast is falsehood but the man is Jesus Christ on whose birth the AD reckoning is founded.

With kind regards
the witness of God
silbadaavgi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.