Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Parents of the kid should have called to cancel, but the other parents were wrong to slip a bill in his bag and threaten court. Ridiculous world we live in...

The father has said in some articles that there was no contact information for him to reach the other parents.

I've had that happen to me before. The invitation disappeared and there was no way to get ahold of the parent.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would never bill someone who didn't show up. It never would have even crossed my mind. However, if I were out money and it happened with the same family before, I would probably just not invite them next time.

Now if I got a bill from someone for missing a party, I would probably just pay it and not agree to attend future parties because I consider that pretty rude. I would do my best to notify the parents if I had to change the RSVP, but things happen.

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't like the way this was done- putting an invoice in the boy`s bag. A phone call or polite letter asking for the money would have been better. It isn't unreasonable to ask the missing child`s mother to pay the fee but it needed to be done politely and kindly.
This making a fuss and going to press is like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut and could cause lasting damage in the friendship of the two boys. For the sake of those boys these mums need to get over themselves

Yes I agree it could have been done differently .... maybe through other mutual friends?

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The parents let the kid decide whether to go to the party or to his grandparents' house, according to the story I read.

Both sets of parents are in the wrong here.

Yes sounds like they probably are ... I think though that the kid probably had no thoughts of a pending invoice when he changed his mind ...... I just think there could have been more efforts, possible involving mutual friends, before taking it ti court.

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would never bill someone who didn't show up. It never would have even crossed my mind. However, if I were out money and it happened with the same family before, I would probably just not invite them next time.

Now if I got a bill from someone for missing a party, I would probably just pay it and not agree to attend future parties because I consider that pretty rude. I would do my best to notify the parents if I had to change the RSVP, but things happen.

I think thats the main part of the issue with the whole thing .... some people not being as conscientious.

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The father has said in some articles that there was no contact information for him to reach the other parents.

I've had that happen to me before. The invitation disappeared and there was no way to get ahold of the parent.

Yes I read that too .. but the other parents are counter claiming that there were such details made available. You didn't get billed for your non-appearance did you?

Upvote 0

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, if I were giving the party, I would just assume all obligations regardless of whether all kids showed up or not. I might be hacked at no-shows, but I'd still just pay without complaining or attempting to collect from them.

Similarly, if I got the bill for my kid not showing up without cancelling, I'd just pay it. It's not an unreasonable request really.

Yes I kinda agree. Just sad that kids are caught in the middle. Probably the worst thing is it made national headlines over here.:o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soul2Soul

Love is .....
Dec 23, 2013
London
✟9,428.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think when you pay 15.95 extra per kids. Maybe you should scrap that off and go with cake and ice cream and maybe something cheaper. And do the other thing as a family.

I think thats probably why it seems to have gotten a little bit out of hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Weird.
Nobody told you to spend all that money on a birthday party.
Exactly.

A host takes on a hospitable role, and the guests take on guest roles. Someone misunderstands what it means to be a good host.

It sounds like they were counting on monetary gifts to pay for the party. Will they be surprised if they expect the court to cover their legal fees.

Thinking back to five-year-old behavior, I think it's a wonder the invitation ever ended up in the parents' hands. At that age, timing is unpredictable too -- one gets sick, the sister has to run to flute practice, the other sib has a game... parties are sometimes forgotten.

Personally, if I were giving the party, I would just assume all obligations regardless of whether all kids showed up or not.

Upvote 0