Visit site
✟390,901.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I'll check out the other thread.

I also hold to the concords, but having watched some discussions online, I've gathered that some have started argued against the 3rd use. I don't live in the US and I was just curious as to how widespread this division is over there. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟813,531.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I'll check out the other thread.

I also hold to the concords, but having watched some discussions online, I've gathered that some have started argued against the 3rd use. I don't live in the US and I was just curious as to how widespread this division is over there. :)

I think the division of which you speak would fall on either side of the Synodical lines; confessional Synods holding to it firmly, while some non confessional theologians might question it's validity (as they do many things which are held by the confessionally orthodox Lutherans).

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Osaka
Visit site
✟390,901.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think the division of which you speak would fall on either side of the Synodical lines; confessional Synods holding to it firmly, while some non confessional theologians might question it's validity (as they do many things which are held by the confessionally orthodox Lutherans).

Ah, yeah. Makes sense. Thanks for clarifying :)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,245,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Mark is right, questions about the Third Use are really not down confessional lines.

I do think Lutheran third use of the law is distinct from the Calvinists. Calvinists tend to view the Law not so much as a guide as a rule of discipline, and that's an important distinction.

Upvote 0

LastWord

Mar 12, 2013
✟9,241.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The law as a guide sounds reasonable but what are it's limits? Paul doesn't seem to turn back to the law but encourages the Christian to walk in Christ, put on Christ.

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.
Titus 2:11‭-‬14 NKJV

"Grace teaches us..."
What would you understand by the phrase, "Grace teaches us..."?

The law teaches us our deficit exposing sin, bringing about death.

Grace gives us all in Christ. Having all, we are now able to give to our neighbors.
Perhaps it's somthing like that?

What I do know is that the law was not a good guide to the woman who had the flow of blood twelve years; the law would have kept her from pressing through the crowd to touch Jesus.

The proverbial priest and the Levi were guided by the law and left the man bleeding and dying in the ditch.

Upvote 0