Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How many people believe that there were two creation accounts in Geneses? I have been reading the idea of three Earth ages and want to get some input. From what I am gathering, some say that there was a pre-adamic Earth age. We are now living in the second age and the third age is when Christ ushers in his kingdom. Any thoughts?

Satt

Dec 3, 2004
Secret Ninja Villiage
✟8,745.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe there is ONE creation account, and ONE creation. Genesis 1 is a general overview of the creation week, while Genesis 2 is a more detailed description of what happened on day 6.

This 3 three earth theory is a part of the gap theory, I think.

If Genesis 2 was a detailed description, then it would have to be before day three.

Genesis 1:12-13 (King James Version)

12And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13And the evening and the morning were the third day.

Genesis 2:4-7 (King James Version)

4These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

5And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground.

6But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.

7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How many people believe that there were two creation accounts in Geneses? I have been reading the idea of three Earth ages and want to get some input. From what I am gathering, some say that there was a pre-adamic Earth age. We are now living in the second age and the third age is when Christ ushers in his kingdom. Any thoughts?

There was a pre-adamic age:

8 “Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
9 when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,
10 when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
11 when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt’? (Job 38:8-11)​

The earth was covered in water and darkness.

Now as far as the two narratives, the only difference is the perspective. The first chapter starts out with the Spirit hovering over the face of the deep and you are watching from a bird's eye view, so to speak. Then the perspective takes a closer look at the sixth day in general and the creation of man in particular.

That's really all there is to it. This whole business of two accounts have no basis is sound exposition.

Upvote 0