Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Coldest winter in history in my neck of the woods and a very mild summer so far. How come my areas is missing out on all the good stuff. Well at least the world, if not my piece of it, is heading tin the right direction. BTW the hottest the globe has been is nowhere near this years global temperature. It was once "molten lava hot" to quote Jim Gaffigan.. The silliness of continuing to pretend the global records for temperature are in any way comprehensive is becoming ludicrous.. Everyone has become aware how slim the time frame for those records are. They are basically meaningless when taking about the term "ever".
I have noticed people thinking we have had colder Winters of late. I can admit that I have gotten to an age where I have seen a lot of Winters. People seem to think getting to 0 Fahrenheit once or twice a winter is cold. Twenty years ago every couple of years there would be days that wouldn't rise above 0 Fahrenheit. I have seen how much less cold there actually is in a given year.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And even this factoid doesn't tell the whole story. The ice cover is tending to cover more space for reasons linked to warming. Warming water encroaching on Antarctica is convecting the ice outward from the continent. The ice cover is thinning. More continental is being calved which is showing up as greater sea ice coverage.
It's amazing that some folks just don't get that.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have noticed people thinking we have had colder Winters of late. I can admit that I have gotten to an age where I have seen a lot of Winters. People seem to think getting to 0 Fahrenheit once or twice a winter is cold. Twenty years ago every couple of years there would be days that wouldn't rise above 0 Fahrenheit. I have seen how much less cold there actually is in a given year.
From XKCD:
cold.png

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Really?

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/record-cold-early-march

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...breaks-long-standing-records-across-northeast

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/february-2015-enters-many-reco/43184229

(Removed because it only referred to records broken this month-July)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/for-2nd-straight-day-cold-temps-will-break-a-record

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...-coldest-june-day-record-20150602-ghel90.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Yes, because what you have noticed other people thinking totally trumps scientific facts.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Setting a given daily record low in a (or several) locations is not a contraindication of GLOBAL warming. Those areas downstream of Greenland are going to experience lower (even records) temperatures because a warmer planet is transferring heat (thus for Eastern North America-cold). Explore in your anecdotes about the Winter Alaska had last.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Setting a given daily record low in a (or several) locations is not a contraindication of GLOBAL warming. Those areas downstream of Greenland are going to experience lower (even records) temperatures because a warmer planet is transferring heat (thus for Eastern North America-cold). Explore in your anecdotes about the Winter Alaska had last.

Yep. As an analogy, have someone go turn on on their appliances in the kitchen up to their max performance. Stove, oven, fridge. Measure the temperature or each area before. Then let it all run for a day or two. Measure again. Yeah, sure, the fridge will be colder, but the rest of the kitchen will be hotter. And overall, the house will be hotter.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Depends what you consider better. Where I am in Canada it's certainly hotter, but I wouldn't consider it better. Crops are being lost, forest fires are at a record high, and we haven't had significant rain in a couple of months. So what's "better"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depends what you consider better. Where I am in Canada it's certainly hotter, but I wouldn't consider it better. Crops are being lost, forest fires are at a record high, and we haven't had significant rain in a couple of months. So what's "better"?

We've had the wettest, mildest summer in a long time. Sorry about your summer. But that is what I would ask you: Why is climate change presented as a catastrophic thing and this climate the absolute best that cannot possibly be improved?

Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If our farming conditions get worse and worse and Canada's get better and better, will Americans become the undesirable immigrants escaping northward? Will Canada build a 2000 mile long wall and make us pay for it? :mmh:

First farming conditions have to actually get worse, and stay worse, rather than having seasonal and temporary effects such as el nino currently causing some problems. Which I don't see happening.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coldest winter in history in my neck of the woods and a very mild summer so far. How come my areas is missing out on all the good stuff. Well at least the world, if not my piece of it, is heading tin the right direction. BTW the hottest the globe has been is nowhere near this years global temperature. It was once "molten lava hot" to quote Jim Gaffigan.. The silliness of continuing to pretend the global records for temperature are in any way comprehensive is becoming ludicrous.. Everyone has become aware how slim the time frame for those records are. They are basically meaningless when taking about the term "ever".

Thats why we say on record, for the time that it matters it's the hottest

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On and I always find the argument that fixing global warming will destroy the economy the most stupid argument there is, becaues global warming WILL either force far worse economic uphevial to either fix the problem, or because of the problem.

Do we do a 10-30% shift now that can slow things till we can hopefully find a solution, or a 80% emergency shift later because it's too late to do much of anything, along with all the damage that global warming will do.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
After the last month of news from Saskatchewan we should all be concerned. Crops dying in the South and MAJOR forest fires in the middle. Last week I looked at the daily fire map put out by the province and this was after the rain finally showed up. The area on fire was significant fraction of the whole province.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
First farming conditions have to actually get worse, and stay worse, rather than having seasonal and temporary effects such as el nino currently causing some problems. Which I don't see happening.
I live in the Corn Belt. You eat a lot of corn in every meal. It is the base of American food. Meat, eggs, milk, and cheese are a good start. Corn feeds all the animals involved. Pop, candy, Ketchup, breakfast serial, peanut butter, and cakes are sweetened with corn syrup. The other product grown is soya. Even if you escape corn in a food product you will find soya.

Corn likes temps up to around 90F. The average highs in the area are approaching that point. Soya can take slightly warmer but it has its limits too. What are you going to eat once there are a couple of years of Iowa and Illinois having average summer highs in the 90's and the corn crops diminish.

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
El Nino is actually moderating the Eastern US summer. It is the neutral years with higher temps that are a worry.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We've had the wettest, mildest summer in a long time. Sorry about your summer. But that is what I would ask you: Why is climate change presented as a catastrophic thing and this climate the absolute best that cannot possibly be improved?

Because we've set our civilization up around certain climatic conditions. We have cities along rivers because we need those rivers for transit, or at least we did. We have so many cities on the coast because sea transport was and is crucial to shipping. It's not a coincidence that we have the "grain belt"; the location wasn't chosen arbitrarily. That's just generally the best band in the USA to grow grain in. Our farming practices are often predicated on the environment, and due to the modernization needed for so few people to produce so much food, there's a large, rather costly infrastructure involved.

It's like when people bring up all the farmland becoming freed up in Siberia. That's nice, and we might gain more farmland in the long term than we lose in the short term. However. Siberia lacks the basic farming infrastructure, and indeed even most of the transport infrastructure needed to become a major grain exporter, and setting that all up takes a whole lot of time and money. And if, in the short term, our returns from our existing farmland start to weaken due to climate change, it'll take a whole lot of time to set things up over there.

Basically the problem isn't "the climate is getting worse". It's more that "the climate is changing and we are not well-adapted for this change". This would be true regardless of which direction it's changing in.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I live in the Corn Belt. You eat a lot of corn in every meal. It is the base of American food. Meat, eggs, milk, and cheese are a good start. Corn feeds all the animals involved. Pop, candy, Ketchup, breakfast serial, peanut butter, and cakes are sweetened with corn syrup. The other product grown is soya. Even if you escape corn in a food product you will find soya.

Corn likes temps up to around 90F. The average highs in the area are approaching that point. Soya can take slightly warmer but it has its limits too. What are you going to eat once there are a couple of years of Iowa and Illinois having average summer highs in the 90's and the corn crops diminish.
Stop using sense! It'll get confusing.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Nobody is saying that this climate is perfect or anything. It's not the climate that's the issue, it's the change, the rapid change, and the effect it will have on humanity.

Upvote 0